• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me find this comic book

2 posts in this topic

Hey!

New member here.

Now, I have been thinking to do this for a long time, but haven't had the time. For more than ten years ago, I moved to Europe, but back in my home country my mothers used to buy me this weekly magazine containing different comic series in Arabic. Now, obviously the comic series were mostly American/European but translated to Arabic. 

In this magazine, there was this comic story/serie about an army (quite unsure if they are European Spanish or American), and they were searching for a golden city in the desert. They had conquistador alike clothes and forced the native indians to cooperate with them so that they find this city. In the series, there was also a fat guy and a fitter guy being stuck in the desert trying to find the conquistador army, which they do in the end. And once they all get close to the golden city, mysterious things happen which leads to the death of many of them. The fitter guy who was stuck and almost died of hunger with the fat guy in the desert because the hero and survives the mysterious things that took place in the golden city.

Ahhhhh, I wish I didn't throw the magazines away. But I would desperately love to know what the name of this comic serie is. Anyone who may know this? Thank you very much!

Hey Mjal... I'll see what I can do to help.

Can you provide a more precise time-frame of when this story was published? (1985, 1990, 2000, 2005, 2010...etc.) Even giving a date within 2 to 5 years of publication would help a great deal. Also, was it published in a newspaper format, or a more modernized comic book format? Was it in color or black & white?

Weekly Comic Mags are mostly known to contain serials (an eclectic collection of stories in an anthology format) and a few popular weeklies came to mind so check out these titles below (I omitted weeklies such as The Dandy, The Beano, The Beezer, Topper, etc. as these consist only humor and not action/adventure.) I don't know which (if any) were translated into other languages, but if any of these titles sound like what you used to read, then that will help narrow down the search for the actual story title itself.

POSSIBLE TITLES: (not a complete list, but it's a start)
2000 AD (IPC Magazines, Fleetway, Rebellion) published 1977 to present
Eagle (Hulton Press / IPC Magazines) published 1950 to 1969, then relaunched 1982 to 1994
Action (IPC Magazines) published 1976 to 1977 [short lived and merged with Battle Picture Weekly]
Battle Picture Weekly (IPC Magazines) published 1975 to 1988
Valiant (IPC Magazines) published between 1962 to 1976
The Victor (D.C. Thompson Co.) 1,657 issues published from 1961 to 1992
Scream! (IPC Magazines) Weekly British horror comic anthology ran for 15 issues in 1984
Spirou Magazine (Dupuis) published 1938 to present
Pilote (Dargaud) [title changed to 'Pilote et Charlie' then back to Piloute] published 1959 to 1989

There are other weekly titles but many ceased publication in the 1970's and 1960's but if that was when you actually had these books (or newspapers, etc.) then I will reply with those other titles as well.

Oddly enough, what you described sounds a lot like a story I read a long time ago about the lost gold of El Dorado which involved conquistadors but I cannot recall what title it was in. Any other additional info will certainly help!

Regards,
*CBK*