• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low Humidity Problem

6 posts in this topic

Hey, recently I faced a problem- all my issues I've bought in Turkey became very stiff and hard after air flight. Usually you can bent and flip however you like but not these one. The same happens with my manga volumes and trades I order. The same second they contact with air they are...kinda transforming. My Post-It notes twist a little bit too.

My guess is that low humidity in fault here. It's winter out there and air is very dry.

I've bought humidity sensor and it says 27 % and 23,6 ℃ . 

My question is- will my books be normal again with humidifier' help?

Should I raise humidity in my room bit by bit, maybe 10 % per week? And is that ok to use ultrasonic humidifier near books? I don't want to make any more damage.

I would be very grateful for any responses.

Your temperature is in a safe range. Your humidity is lower than ideal for paper.  40% Relative humidity is considered the low end for paper. 

But even more important for paper than being in the ideal temperature and humidity ranges is having consistency. This is why basements and attics are the worst place to store comics and other paper items. Because these are the rooms in a house that have the most variation in temperature and humidity. 

If you increase the humidity in the room, keep in mind that:

1) you don't need to increase it greatly and

2) A consistent, stable relative humidity is more important than the difference between 27% and 40%. You need to use a humidifier that is designed for a room and has a built in humidistat so that your humidity stays in the ideal range (40-50%) Humidifiers designed for a room will have a fan which will circulate air and humidity evenly in the room. 

Personally, I wouldn't do anything as far as adding humidity.  It will probably turn problematic to maintain and stay in the ideal range. The water tank runs out of water, humidity drops until you refill. The humidistat not accurate or gets bumped, it gets too humid. I am repeating myself, but excessive fluctuations are more a problem than being a little under or over the ideal range.  Hooking up a whole house humidifier to your furnace might be worthwhile. They tap into a water line and the humidistat and other components will be of higher quality. Of course this is far more expensive. 

You might consider instead just focusing on the variables easier to control. Eliminate exposure to light (say store books in collector boxes). Don't put your stored books up against outside walls and allow for air circulation - say 12 inches away from the (interior) wall. 

Welcome to the boards! 

Edited by Tony S

On 2/25/2019 at 5:26 AM, Kyo Hisagi said:

Hey, recently I faced a problem- all my issues I've bought in Turkey became very stiff and hard after air flight. Usually you can bent and flip however you like but not these one

If it lasts more than four hours, consult a medical professional.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:26 AM, Kyo Hisagi said:

Hey, recently I faced a problem- all my issues I've bought in Turkey became very stiff and hard after air flight. Usually you can bent and flip however you like but not these one. The same happens with my manga volumes and trades I order. The same second they contact with air they are...kinda transforming. My Post-It notes twist a little bit too.

My guess is that low humidity in fault here. It's winter out there and air is very dry.

I've bought humidity sensor and it says 27 % and 23,6 ℃ . 

My question is- will my books be normal again with humidifier' help?

Should I raise humidity in my room bit by bit, maybe 10 % per week? And is that ok to use ultrasonic humidifier near books? I don't want to make any more damage.

I would be very grateful for any responses.

Sounds like low humidity and heat. Have you noticed if your books have a static charge after they've flown? 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:46 PM, KobaltDog said:

Sounds like low humidity and heat. Have you noticed if your books have a static charge after they've flown? 

Low humidity- yes, absolutely. No static charge at all.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, joeypost said:

Did you take these books on the plane with you or were they in checked luggage?

Happens with all the stuff I buy online rn. I took my comic books with me in my backpack.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:58 AM, Tony S said:

Your temperature is in a safe range. Your humidity is lower than ideal for paper.  40% Relative humidity is considered the low end for paper. 

But even more important for paper than being in the ideal temperature and humidity ranges is having consistency. This is why basements and attics are the worst place to store comics and other paper items. Because these are the rooms in a house that have the most variation in temperature and humidity. 

If you increase the humidity in the room, keep in mind that:

1) you don't need to increase it greatly and

2) A consistent, stable relative humidity is more important than the difference between 27% and 40%. You need to use a humidifier that is designed for a room and has a built in humidistat so that your humidity stays in the ideal range (40-50%) Humidifiers designed for a room will have a fan which will circulate air and humidity evenly in the room. 

Personally, I wouldn't do anything as far as adding humidity.  It will probably turn problematic to maintain and stay in the ideal range. The water tank runs out of water, humidity drops until you refill. The humidistat not accurate or gets bumped, it gets too humid. I am repeating myself, but excessive fluctuations are more a problem than being a little under or over the ideal range.  Hooking up a whole house humidifier to your furnace might be worthwhile. They tap into a water line and the humidistat and other components will be of higher quality. Of course this is far more expensive. 

You might consider instead just focusing on the variables easier to control. Eliminate exposure to light (say store books in collector boxes). Don't put your stored books up against outside walls and allow for air circulation - say 12 inches away from the (interior) wall. 

Welcome to the boards! 

Thanks for the answer! Well, I can't just ignore the problem and do nothing... I will try to raise humidity little by little and check it with hygrometer frequently. I've bought a new one and it says my humidity lower than 20 %. I would like to buy expensive climate control system but well, I don't have so much money. Also I live in a apartment house so house humidifier is not a solution for me( I am going to move later this year, maybe I will think something up, just afraid the condition of my books will get worse.