• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a market for Western comics any more?
3 3

360 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Ok.... since we're posting, I guess I'll add some of the comics that I started this thread about.

All have "Lois Stewart" neatly stamped on the cover & splash page.  At least it's a nice small stamp.

a1.jpg

Wow, Lois took great care of her books!! These are wonderful pieces of Americana. I like them raw like this.  (thumbsu

So..... to answer the question I posed when I titled this thread, "Yes, there is STILL a market for Western comics!"

I have sold 9 of my western comics to boardies since I started the thread.

And watching the explosion of "Western Comic Pride" being posted on this thread put a big smile on my face.

My conclusion is that probably 90% of western comics are considered drek (especially photo covers, except for the Stan Lee Black Rider Cover or a few western romance covers), but the remaining 10% of covers have exciting art, or good looking western damsels which makes them irresistible to collectors.

Thank you to everyone for posting covers, and by all means continue to post cool western covers as you get them. 

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, MrBedrock said:

You really need to read the story, see the book as a whole, and especially see the Ralston cereal ad on the back cover before you comment any further.

You have me actively looking for this issue now! 

20 minutes ago, PKJ said:

You have me actively looking for this issue now! 

I wish I had one for you but I will definitely keep an eye out.

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I'm trying to figure out the demographic that they were marketing to.  Surely Blacks would be offended by this ad, so I guess it's supposed to be a "funny" ad aimed at whites?

Yeah, it was just the way they portrayed blacks back then.  They were supposed to be friendly, funny, and stoopid people...