• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The fallacy of "IH181 is overvalued/overpriced"
5 5

272 posts in this topic

sarcasm or bluntness warning

All we need to avert collapse of comics value is a bit of inflation and at least 1 for 1 replacement of "collector" as the old generation dies off.  Add in Brie Larson fans and our global planet of coca cola consumers who adore wolvie or spiderman even more than they do america for some added market growth.

end sarcasm or bluntness zone

Edited by grebal
forgot population growth, at least until it's unfashionable to propagate

19 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:
1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

What everyone is overlooking is that there are millions of potential collectors out there that watched superhero movies and wanted to buy the comic and instead wut they saw was female Thor etc.

Fixed it for you.

Fixed your fix.

1 hour ago, SBRobin said:

But if Comichron numbers and what I see at my LCS is any indication, they aren't buying comics. 

does comichron track sales of IH181? 

and does you shop deal in higher end books (if yes sweet, ive never had a local shop with anything other than dollar books)?

4 hours ago, Spideyham said:

What everyone is overlooking is that there are millions of new collectors out there introduced to comics thanks to all the superhero movies.

lollollol

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I grow tired of the 'movie' appearance pump.   Oh, well Disney now has the rights, so now if there is a new X-Men movie, then the price will go up even more....uh...why?    We've seen Wolverine in X-Men movies since what, the year 2000.    That being said, something is worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it.  

X-Men prices already received a speculation bump just due to the Fox acquisition by Disney, but you're forgetting the actual announcement bump, followed by the casting bump, then the shooting bump, the ad campaign bump, and finally the release bump! Prices can only go up!

Because, in some alternate reality, the past (nearly) two decades of regular, successful X-Men movies didn't happen. All of the characters are complete unknowns, just waiting for their first exposure to a wider audience. Especially that Wolverine guy. Nobody knows or likes him. :screwy:

There's a great thread full of delusional lunatics in the Bronze forum.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

X-Men prices already received a speculation bump just due to the Fox acquisition by Disney, but you're forgetting the actual announcement bump, followed by the casting bump, then the shooting bump, the ad campaign bump, and finally the release bump! Prices can only go up!

Because, in some alternate reality, the past (nearly) two decades of regular, successful X-Men movies didn't happen. All of the characters are complete unknowns, just waiting for their first exposure to a wider audience. Especially that Wolverine guy. Nobody knows or likes him. :screwy:

There's a great thread full of delusional lunatics in the Bronze forum.

Just wait'll an X Man has a kid-they'll get the baby bump-

26 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Ah, I found the link.

:devil:

:shy:

Whaaaaa....?? Someone starting a thread that is a very, very thinly veiled attempt to drum up interest in the very books he/she happens to have listed on eBay...?

No way!

:whistle:

(They're still underappreciated, though. :D )

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Whaaaaa....?? Someone starting a thread that is a very, very thinly veiled attempt to drum up interest in the very books he/she happens to have listed on eBay...?

No way!

:whistle:

(They're still underappreciated, though. :D )

Oops! Is that the wrong X-Men thread? (:

10 hours ago, grebal said:

sarcasm or bluntness warning

All we need to avert collapse of comics value is a bit of inflation and at least 1 for 1 replacement of "collector" as the old generation dies off.  Add in Brie Larson fans and our global planet of coca cola consumers who adore wolvie or spiderman even more than they do america for some added market growth.

end sarcasm or bluntness zone

What’s a Coca Cola consumer? I love soda pop! Especially the Dublin Dr Pepper. Bottled out of Dublin, tx with the original formula. 

I went to Coke World in Atlanta a couple of months ago. I don’t recommend it. 

One of my favorite hobbies when I travel is to find the local "Coca Cola" rip off and drink away. By far the most disgusting was this soda called "Thum's Up" in Indonesia. It tasted like peanut butter and dirt. 

Another was called "Gold Spot" and looked like urine.

Edited by NoMan

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:
6 hours ago, NoMan said:

It tasted like peanut butter and dirt. 

PB AND dirt...? Were you able to separate the distinct flavors of both in the beverage...? 

Speaking of which, when people say something tastes like arse, my question always is: how do they know...?

34 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Speaking of which, when people say something tastes like arse, my question always is: how do they know...?

When the wife and I go shopping for wine I never understood how someone was able to determine that a wine tastes like chocolate, burnt cedar and a hint of fairy-flatulence as I can never taste that any of that.

I guess he’s a Coke connoisseur and we just have uncultivated palates. 

I do agree though, the Irish Coke is great, there’s one Italian deli here in town that sells it. 

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

PB AND dirt...? Were you able to separate the distinct flavors of both in the beverage...? 

AFTER TWO YEARS HERE I'VE FINALLY BEEN QUOTED BY RMA!  

I HAVE ARRIVED!!!!

:banana:

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

AFTER TWO YEARS HERE I'VE FINALLY BEEN QUOTED BY RMA!  

I HAVE ARRIVED!!!!

:banana:

You aint *spoon* till he starts spelling your name backwards.

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

When the wife and I go shopping for wine I never understood how someone was able to determine that a wine tastes like chocolate, burnt cedar and a hint of fairy-flatulence as I can never taste that any of that.

I guess he’s a Coke connoisseur and we just have uncultivated palates. 

I do agree though, the Irish Coke is great, there’s one Italian deli here in town that sells it. 

In about two weeks I'll be in Northern Iraq and can't wait to see what sodas they got there! I also believe there is a comic shop in one of the cities we will be in (I forget but I'll ask my wife and list 'em soon). I found it online but it was all in a language not familiar to me. 

EDIT:

Ok, I just got yelled at by my wife for you guys so I hope you appreciate it:

"We're going to Kurdistan, not Iraq!" 9_9  Hey she's a great gal and you take the good with the bad. We will be in Erbil and Sulaymaniyah. I beleive the comic shop is in Erbil. 

https://www.facebook.com/search/110301785664699/places-in/133510666716809/places/intersect/

Edited by NoMan

17 hours ago, miraclemet said:

does comichron track sales of IH181? 

and does you shop deal in higher end books (if yes sweet, ive never had a local shop with anything other than dollar books)?

No, but by "millions of new collectors" I assumed it was referring to millions of new people actively collecting new comic books too, not millions of new "Hulk 181 collectors." My shop deals in higher end books. I see the same people in it every week. I have never seen anyone under 15 in it. I never hear about kids collecting books. I never see new comic shops opening. From what I see, the people collecting today are the same people that grew up with comics 20-40 years ago. As another poster said, kids don't care about comics now and the industry won't survive from people buying silver and golden age keys alone. I can't imagine people still buying new comic books in another 15 years or even half of the brick and mortar shops being around by then. The two largest retail stores in my city, both which had been around 30+ years, have closed in the last three years.