• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If Marvel and DC were smart

33 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, NoMan said:

Give away comics at the movies. Nice ones. Have them "to be continued" in the comics found at the LCS

Actually I went to a screening of Captain Marvel the other night and was pleased to hear that Fury saw action in Belfast. However while the end credits rolled a young woman came out dressed as Captain Marvel the children in the cinema went wild and all rushed to meet her and have photo's taken, I thought that this was a great idea and it would be something that they will always remember, one of them asked her where Goose was as they wanted to pet him.:headbang: At another viewing of a Wolverine movie a person came out and announced that under certain seats were hidden a raffle ticket for a prize, After a mad dash most of the tickets were found and they all got freebies, I knew the person who hid them and he told me to go back in as there were a few left. That was another good idea which I liked.   

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

This is why they wont change anything. 

I’m just trying to think positive. As I’ve nentioned before, I feel no hope for this hobby.  It’s sad to me cause I feel I got so much out of my interest in comics

7 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Don't they still do Free Comic Book Day? :banana:

Yep. Thousands of people who will never buy a comic come out for the cosplayers and get free sketches from local talent that will end up in the garbage. It costs the shops a ton and doesn’t seem to result in expanding the direct markets readership at all

17 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

They are getting their comics seen by new fans everyday with mainstream locations,but it is digital. They are on the Kindles,smartphones and iPads. That`s the new mainstream. The new newsstands.

There is no turning back. Digital comics is the way to go because more people can access them and they are much cheaper. 

Marvel and DC has thousands of comic books on Comixology and Amazon.com.

I don't see why they would want to push print comics unless it`s Wal-Mart and Target we are talking about.

The comic industry is fine.  The top characters are more well known now than they were in the 1960s to 1990s.

Spider-Man, X-Men and the Avengers are bigger than ever.

Captain Marvel an obscure 1960/70s character is on her way to a billion dollars box office.

I think Marvel rather have that than if a bunch of LCS sells 20000 copies of Captain Marvel a month.

I get where you are coming from, but I gotta tell ya. I'm honestly not seeing to many kids in my son's elementry school with their own devices or credit card acess to pay for digital. Some might have the ability to access it ,but many do not.  Plus they need that initial exposure to the product. When I was a child we had The Hulk on TV ,Superman in theaters ,but it wasn't until a few years later when i walked into a 7eleven and discovered these wonderful, afordable, fun books which captivated my imagination. How do kids just stumble across digital comics to get their first experience ?

Kids can’t pay for Fortnite skins either, but their parents can. “Mom buy me this” works with debit just as well as it does with cash. But I agree, the kids have to be convinced to read the comics in the first place. Even when I was a kid in the 90’s when there were X Men cartoons and video games, most of my classmates watched the show and played the games but were not interested in the comics. This was probably at peak comic book hype since maybe the 60’s? There were many classmates that did read X-Men and Spawn, I probably had 10-12 comic reading friends back then in school. There were 2 5th grade classes, so maybe 60-70 kids, half boys. Not a bad ratio of comic readers. But still, everyone watched the cartoon and played the game, boys and girls 

Hey I got some kinda Tom Gord (? -never heard of him before) free comic on free comic day. “Moon Cop” and went back and bought the graphic novel and became  a Tom Gord (?) fan and bought all his stuff.  

So Free Comic Day worked on me. I therefore consider it a much larger success for everyone - comic shop owners, fans, everyone!:bigsmile:

29 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Kids can’t pay for Fortnite skins either, but their parents can. “Mom buy me this” works with debit just as well as it does with cash. But I agree, the kids have to be convinced to read the comics in the first place. Even when I was a kid in the 90’s when there were X Men cartoons and video games, most of my classmates watched the show and played the games but were not interested in the comics. This was probably at peak comic book hype since maybe the 60’s? There were many classmates that did read X-Men and Spawn, I probably had 10-12 comic reading friends back then in school. There were 2 5th grade classes, so maybe 60-70 kids, half boys. Not a bad ratio of comic readers. But still, everyone watched the cartoon and played the game, boys and girls 

Fortnight I know. Skins tho?

Yeah. At first I refused to buy that stuff for my girlfriends kid but Fortnite is literally all he does so the logic they gave me was he’s not spending money on toys or anything else so why not, I have in. He’s about $150 into a game that’s free to play right now. His cousin doesn’t spend any money on the game and she seems to be able to have just as much fun as him with it, just with fewer costumes and hand gestures. I honestly don’t get it at all. I think that stuff should be outlawed. Milking parents for money for worthless digital content. And it seems like every singe 10 year old out there is doing it 

9 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Milking parents for money for worthless digital content

Unfortunately the way gaming has gone in recent years.  A basic game designed to force tedious, repetitive grinding, doing the same activities over and over unless you pay for extra DLC missions, weapons or abilities, as well as the random content, loot box rip-off.

Destiny and Fortnite are great examples of this type of exploitation.

I’ll stick with my single player campaigns.

Edited by Ken Aldred