• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, glendgold said:

“Not a misprint -- we are offering fifteen pages of original art from this issue as one lot, with an additional two stat production pages included in the bargain. Alas, the one page from the book that featured Wolverine is not included here, but you do get the memorable face-off of those behemoths Wendigo and the Hulk, as well as some dramatic subplots.”

From description

1 hour ago, suspense39 said:

“Not a misprint -- we are offering fifteen pages of original art from this issue as one lot, with an additional two stat production pages included in the bargain. Alas, the one page from the book that featured Wolverine is not included here, but you do get the memorable face-off of those behemoths Wendigo and the Hulk, as well as some dramatic subplots.”

From description

Very nice lot.  I like my Amazing Fantasy #14 even though it has been stripped of its title as a remainder comic book.  David

af14.jpg

Edited by aokartman
pic added

I think this one is shaping up to be pretty nice.  

SA Avengers Splash

Four Peanuts strips

I believe two Watchmen pages

Conan cover

Byrne X-men 2 page splash (I dont think the signatures detract from the piece!)

Just now, batman_fan said:

In the art area?

30 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

When I looked at it, looked like Conan was a paste-up

I briefly owned this cover back in the 1980s. I sent it back because the seller did not disclose Conan was a paste-up. I do believe there was an original drawing of Conan under the paste-up, however. 

Mike

32 minutes ago, mxs7 said:

I briefly owned this cover back in the 1980s. I sent it back because the seller did not disclose Conan was a paste-up. I do believe there was an original drawing of Conan under the paste-up, however. 

Mike

OA paste-up or stat paste-up?

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but, c'mon, it's pretty bad. The very fact that anyone would think to slap 4 sigs right in the art area post-2015 doesn't exactly scream "this is art to be taken seriously", now, does it...

1 hour ago, drdroom said:

OA paste-up or stat paste-up?

My recollection is it was a stat (again, with I believe original art under it), but that was a long time ago.

14 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but, c'mon, it's pretty bad. The very fact that anyone would think to slap 4 sigs right in the art area post-2015 doesn't exactly scream "this is art to be taken seriously", now, does it...

100% agree.  I definitely would prefer it without the signatures but given how bad it could have been, it isn't terrible.  I wouldn't say "OMG, I was thinking of bidding $120k max until I saw the piece and those signatures, I think I will bump my max to $250k."

32 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

100% agree.  I definitely would prefer it without the signatures but given how bad it could have been, it isn't terrible.  I wouldn't say "OMG, I was thinking of bidding $120k max until I saw the piece and those signatures, I think I will bump my max to $250k."

If I was in this league, those sigs would not bother me where they are.  There might even be some nice back stories!  David

10 hours ago, Bronty said:
10 hours ago, comix4fun said:

In the art area?

yeah but the placement isn't bad

20809254%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Yeah, they wouldn't impact my valuation of the piece at all.

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Are you trying to talk down the price of the piece or something? 

The sigs are a complete non-factor in my opinion.  They're not detrimental at all to the image, and why wouldn't you want the signatures of the creators on the piece, even if they were signed after the fact? 2c

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure why we'd want or need for it to be "taken seriously."    By whom?   Comic people take it seriously, non-comic people are never going to get past the long underwear, and that's okay in the same way that Marvel movies are popular but not exactly going to win Oscars, right?

You've been pretty far ahead of the curve here in saying that comic art is not going to get fine art acceptance, so doesn't that imply that we should enjoy what the art is without trying to "elevate" it?

Edited by Bronty

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, they wouldn't impact my valuation of the piece at all.

That doesn't look too horrible, although it was not advisable, for whomever decided to do that, to have the sigs added anywhere but the margin outside the art. 

It didn't have all those sigs the last time it sold, right?