Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

2,312 posts
4 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

EQ at $2.1m, and it's the first day.

Just insane.  Frazetta power.

$2,520,000.00 within 24 hours and only 20d 15h 54m until end of proxy bidding. If it keeps up at this pace .......... 50 Million!!!!!!!

22,900 posts
4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I’m going to take the under on 5 million :whatthe:

Just cost and BP

In a sale with no reserve (stated or otherwise), no guarantees, no stalking horses, no bidding by the house or its employees, etc. you might be right about that.  

But, we might as well be talking about an alternate universe. Don't be a fool, of course EQ is going to sell for more than $5 million all-in. #byhookorbycrook :makepoint: 

12,403 posts
1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

In a sale with no reserve (stated or otherwise), no guarantees, no stalking horses, no bidding by the house or its employees, etc. you might be right about that.  

But, we might as well be talking about an alternate universe. Don't be a fool, of course EQ is going to sell for more than $5 million all-in. #byhookorbycrook :makepoint: 

Dude, do you not remember the "Greg's OA guess scale factor"?  What ever I guess, multiply by 2 for the actual final hammer.

513 posts
Posted (edited)

Ok i am switching to over now ;)

HA should put out a press release about this already record breaking auction, coaxing you too to be part of this historic sale...

Edited by cstojano

2,312 posts
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Oops my mistake, I read the article wrong. He is correct.

Only 21 items have sold for more at Heritage than the current $2.5M bid. Most are money and coins or plots of land. If it doubles the bids to $5 Million it will be the most expensive item ever sold on Heritage.

Edited by Brian Peck

1,609 posts
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

The author of the article really needs to do better research. "over $700,000, the most valuable comics lot sold at Heritage." is incorrect. The highest price paid in past HA comic book/art category is another Frazetta, Death Dealer 6 Painting (1990) for $1.792 Million. Only 21 items have sold for more at Heritage than the current $2.5M bid. Most are money and coins or plots of land. If it doubles the bids to $5 Million it will be the most expensive item ever sold on Heritage.

He stated "comics lot," no?  And wrote "by over 700k."

Edited by exitmusicblue

2,312 posts
8 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

He stated "comics lot," no?  And wrote "by over 700k."

Ya, its late I read it wrong.

822 posts

I am so so hoping that someone has that "looking over the edge of a cliff" feeling and joybids on Egyptian Queen right now.  Go on!  See if you can be the high bidder!  :banana:

274 posts

It has to go up to $3M to take the first place in my "top auction prices" page (2.65M€ for the Tintin pages allegedly bought by an American collector) ... but I'm quite sure it will do it! :)

358 posts
13 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Beginning to think $5m may be a low estimate... this is the kind of piece George Lucas with his billions would lust after.

If he wins that would be cool since he would eventually put it in his museum most likely. And it wouldn't go to a black hole collector or warehouse somewhere. I wanted a piece of Star Wars comic art and George wanted it too. Which was cool since it showed that he actually still likes that stuff or wants it for the museum to show complete stories.

12,403 posts

Current bidding is simply “discovery”. Sort of like a dog marking its territory but only with BSDs

22,900 posts
2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Some interesting opinions over there. Utterly out of touch with reality, but, interesting nonetheless. 

1,609 posts
20 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Some interesting opinions over there. Utterly out of touch with reality, but, interesting nonetheless. 

Easily digestible compared to the modern fine art market, I'd say.

24,552 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I am a huge fan of Barks, he's on the Mount Rushmore of comics for me, but to call him an excellent painter is where I draw the line. :slapfight:   (great with ink, superlative writer, but painter..? no)

Edited by Bronty

822 posts
4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My 12 year old self loves this painting, and there is something exciting (and nausea-provoking) about how much money it's going to go for. But if you're going to fantasize about Frazetta being fine art, then you have to also brace yourself for the art world crying "Orientalism," among other things, as a critique.  I'm not Edward Said or anything but I see how it's pretty problematic.