Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

1,482 posts
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Timely said:

I think you would be surprised to see exactly what Stan Lee would  sign over.... including other people's signatures!

I've seen some of the stuff that Stan signed so, no, I'm not surprised.  He'd sign stuff that he had absolutely no connection to whatsoever.  I became numb to it after a while.  I suppose though at $100 a crack or whatever he was getting at the end, I'd sign my name to pretty much anything too.  

Edited by pemart1966

1,482 posts
8 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

ironfist.thumb.jpg.0b42dcefd753bffe9c29f

Am I to assume that this is the artist's signature or is it the actor that plays the character?

1,433 posts
1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

I've seen some of the stuff that Stan signed so, no, I'm not surprised.  He'd sign stuff that he had absolutely no connection to whatsoever.  I became numb to it after a while.  I suppose though at $100 a crack or whatever he was getting at the end, I'd sign my name to pretty much anything too.  

At one convention about two years ago, Neal Adams said he would sign a shoe for $20. Clearly, underpriced.

4,272 posts
1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

Well sure it could be worse -- they could have signed on top of the characters.  But I agree with what appears to be the majority sentiment -- the art was better left alone.

And sorry Mike H., it's not just a " C O L L E C T I B L E"   even if the consignor may or may not have treated it as such.

Clearly my sarc was lost on E V E R Y O N E lol

549 posts
3 minutes ago, vodou said:

Clearly my sarc was lost on E V E R Y O N E lol

Hah!  Yup.  You got me there.

54,671 posts
15 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

IF someone were to be a buyer for this, and IF the signatures could be safely removed by a competent professional, would you do it?

No

54,671 posts
12 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

It's like someone scribbling on the sistine chapel .

Which is a problem if the scribbler was Giuseppe the guy who brought lunch to Michelangelo every day.

But if it was Michelangelo, or an assistant to Michelangelo who was actually involved in creating the artwork, I don't have a problem with it.  Unless it was right over God's finger or Adam's face or something.

54,671 posts
11 hours ago, Timely said:
12 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Again no.  One defacement is not worse than another.  If you write over Mona Lisa's face, it's not worse or better than if you write over her chest.

Yes it is! 10 out of 10 would choose Stan Lee's sig on the bottom right corner of the Mona Lisa vs. directly on her face, so YES!!! Placement DOES matter!!! (thumbsu

lol (thumbsu 

906 posts

The $54,000 R Crumb "Keep on Truckin" reserve is now tripped. Which is impressive until you realize it's 1/100th of the Egyptian Queen reserve. 

G

43,100 posts

Whatever the most silly final hammer amount we see in this auction....hell ALL of the silly hammer amounts we see in any comic art auction won't even begin to approach the outright lunacy that is THIS:

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/jeff-koons-rabbit-auction-record/index.html

906 posts
20 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Whatever the most silly final hammer amount we see in this auction....hell ALL of the silly hammer amounts we see in any comic art auction won't even begin to approach the outright lunacy that is THIS:

"Hello? Yes, I would like to trade my six sharks in formaldehyde for one rabbit. Yes, I'll hold."

906 posts

Can we call this a reasonably strong position to take on small-sized Kirby interiors 12 hours before the auction? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jack-kirby-and-syd-shores-captain-america-109-story-pages-14-and-15-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7209-91041.s?ic2

12,826 posts
17 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Can we call this a reasonably strong position to take on small-sized Kirby interiors 12 hours before the auction? 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jack-kirby-and-syd-shores-captain-america-109-story-pages-14-and-15-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7209-91041.s?ic2

yes, very strong I would say

16 posts

Hypothetical Question:

If the X-men 137 DPS was originally purchased with money embezzled from Stan Lee’s estate and then it’s sold by the embezzler, could the Stan Lee estate lay claim to the art after it had been sold?

-Will

1,433 posts
4 hours ago, dspair said:

Hypothetical Question:

If the X-men 137 DPS was originally purchased with money embezzled from Stan Lee’s estate and then it’s sold by the embezzler, could the Stan Lee estate lay claim to the art after it had been sold?

-Will

No. The art itself was not stolen, so the buyer would have "good title". But the money the embezzler made, as well as the value of the money originally stolen, may be a fruit of the theft and reachable either as part of the penalty in a criminal action or in a private action.

23,546 posts
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I finally watched "The Price of Everything" the other night. One of the owners of this series (edition of 3 plus one AP) valued it at $65 million IIRC. It's surprisingly small. :ohnoez: 

Edited by delekkerste

170 posts
9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Prior to Wednesday's sale, Christie's had described the sculpture as "one of the most iconic works of 20th-century art."
"It is crisp and cool in its appearance, yet taps into the visual language of childhood," read a sale preview on the auction house's website. "Its lack of facial features renders it inscrutable, yet its form evokes fun and frivolity."

Gee thanks Christie's...
... More Iconic than anything Pablo Picasso did... a GD metal rabbit made to look like a MF'ing balloon. This is why I don't want anyone to think of comic art as fine art. Because then we'd have these guys in our hobby. I'm happy as hell  that people think of our art as just a little more kitsch. I really hope that sentiment continues.   

anyone watch that new Netflix horror movie that centers around the fine art community. Called Velvet Buzzsaw. It's kind of written like a classic horror story from Creepy / Eerie..  Starving-but-ambitious,  art-rep assistant stumbles upon a dead, and seemingly genius unknown painter. She takes everything from his apartment, and it's all imbued with demons.

... anyway, the way they portrait that market is a little cliché, but also really apt. It makes you happy when bad things happen to the horrible people lol.