Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

687 posts
1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I heard through the grapevine that Lucas probably wouldn't pay up for something like this. Just one opinion, but, if I was a gambling man, I would bet against the buyer being the Lucas Museum.  I'm sure that Lucas' reps were contacted beforehand, probably Mark Parker (Nike CEO), Robert Rodriguez and every other logical buyer as well.  

I'm guessing it ended up with either Jim/Heritage or a third party guarantor (if HA laid off the risk). One friend thinks the painting is headed back to Holly Frazetta, but, that's just wild conjecture at this point. I'm still thinking the lot was guaranteed and is heading to the guarantor. 2c  

Why is Robert Rodriguez’s name being thrown in the mix of potential buyers?

12,398 posts
3 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Why is Robert Rodriguez’s name being thrown in the mix of potential buyers?

Is a Big frazetta collector even had his own museum but I think it’s no longer in existence

12,600 posts

I am guessing EQ ends up on a dealers site for 10.8 million. I will let you decide which dealer. :jokealert:

33,410 posts
1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Something tells me GDT winds up with the Queen.

What would an IT company like General DataTech do with The Egyptian Queen?

18,622 posts
1 hour ago, vodou said:

With no other bidders (or any interest whatsoever based on "her" face) what it really was: a fixed price sale done very publicly.

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing of the art world. Why would they do this? Why pay so much to Heritage if they didn't have to?

3,994 posts
6 minutes ago, wombat said:

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing of the art world. Why would they do this? Why pay so much to Heritage if they didn't have to?

Marketing 101: perception is reality.

1,407 posts
1 hour ago, vodou said:
2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Opus cover for $26K. Ouch. That's so low, I almost bid on it. (:

That's a hard fail.

Nah.  I'm as big a BWS fan as there is and I had 0 interest in the Opus cover.  Zero.

3,994 posts
7 minutes ago, wombat said:

Why pay so much to Heritage if they didn't have to?

If it went to a guarantor, that separate and specific contract would supersede the generic catalog contract...surely BP was negotiated down (and likely out) as a term..

1,407 posts

Nobody mentioned the Golden Avengers Annual 10 page.  Really nice page from an amazing issue but that 45.6k number is a big one.

1,407 posts

Hey Miller fans, I haven't bought any DD pages in a while, but is that DD 182 page for almost 41k about right?  Action page, but he isn't fighting anyone of note.  Man, I remember passing on that page for a several thousand and I haven't been keeping up on Miller DD.  

655 posts

Any thoughts on Mike Mignola Hellboy Oddest Jobs Cover Painting Selling For  $36K?

1,946 posts
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Nobody mentioned the Golden Avengers Annual 10 page.  Really nice page from an amazing issue but that 45.6k number is a big one.

Thats above what I figured. But they dont sell often.

Edited by zhamlau

31 posts

Pretty big numbers on the Miller DD and Watchmen pages.  I mean, both pages are great but these are top of market amounts being paid for “non-key” pages right? 

42,851 posts
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Sitting in the room while it was being auctioned I had mentioned that the "rational" number for this page was $25k, but having the actual first panel of the first appearance of Rogue was the kind of thing that could make folks act in a less than rational way. It's the kind of thing that not only sparks a bidding fight, but it's the kind of thing that bidders can REALLY talk themselves into going to the mat for. Not just unique original art, not just from a very memorable issue that's long been sought after, not only a page of the first appearance of a character that has endured to the present, but the actual first panel in which they ever appeared. 

This was the perfect storm of self-rationalization points that all OA addicts use to convince themselves to open the wallet a little wider...just a little wider...ok, just a little more but no more...etc etc.

The same bit of exuberance worked its way into the Hawkman #4 bidding as well no doubt.

My guess of "less than rational" was low to mid $30k's, but there's obviously no limit when at least two people convince themselves it's a "must have".

Edited by comix4fun

1,407 posts
4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Sitting in the room while it was being auctioned I had mentioned that the "rational" number for this page was $25k, but having the actual first panel of the first appearance of Rogue was the kind of thing that could make folks act in a less than rational way. It's the kind of thing that not only sparks a bidding fight, but it's the kind of thing that bidders can REALLY talk themselves into going to the mat for. Not just unique original art, not just from a very memorable issue that's long been sought after, not only a page of the first appearance of a character that has endured to the present, but the actual first panel in which they ever appeared. 

This was the perfect storm of self-rationalization points that all OA addicts use to convince themselves to open the wallet a little wider...just a little wider...ok, just a little more but no more...etc etc.

The same bit of exuberance worked its way into the Hawkman #4 bidding as well no doubt.

My guess of "less than rational" was low to mid $30k's, but there's obviously no limit when at least two people convince themselves it's a "must have".

Silly me.  Love the art but completely forgot about it being the Rogue first appearance page.  Makes more sense.

23,209 posts
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, suspense39 said:

"As billionaires compete for art in an overheated market, the merely affluent are giving up."

I kind of feel like this is happening on a smaller scale in our hobby. At this point in my collecting career, I feel like I've been priced out of most of my all-time favorite pieces if they were to ever become available, while the prices on the material that is still potentially within reach are now so high that I have to keep my powder dry for these and not blow cash on anything that isn't truly in the top 1 or 2 % of my want list. 

As such, my true "must-have" want list, of things that are both likely to be attainable and available at some point, is down to probably less than 5 medium-to-high end items, plus a few low-to-medium end items.  I'm just glad I acquired what I did when I did, because if I was starting out from scratch today, I'd probably just be looking to build a collection of maybe 10-20 great pieces; there's no way I could build out anywhere near the collection I have starting from 2019 prices. Would wager that almost no one collecting for more than 15 years would be able to at this point. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

5,225 posts

The Hawkman #4 Zatanna story at 126K seems insane. That's an average of $9,692 per page. It's got a lot going for it though. I think the other story from this issue is up for sale, it'll be interesting to see what the Zatanna bump was.

Ditto my shock at the aggression on the two Cap 109 pages.