• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other Guys Do A "No Slab, No Resto Chk." Grade w/ Sticker Service?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I've seen those. And although the image is not in any way conclusive, these look like simple round labels to me.  I don't see the practice catching on anyway. The whole idea of grading is the grade, the tamper proof rigid package, and the resto check, which makes the all important difference between a $100 book and the same in a $1000 book! Is this restored or not? Trimmed or not? There's no indication of that whatsoever. 

To me it just looks like what you get is "We think this book kinda looks like a 5.5 but it might not be hell it might be a NG"

20 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

It's a batpoopy crazy idea. I'm not shocked that they came up with this idea but I am shocked that they actually followed through with it. Just a bad idea on so many levels. 

Beckett Sports has sanctioned this as part of the grading under the umbrella of their name.  If anyone is attending a card show I would love to see someone bring this up to them. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Beckett Sports has sanctioned this as part of the grading under the umbrella of their name.  If anyone is attending a card show I would love to see someone bring this up to them. 

I'm on it-

The last transaction I did with that crazy company is get a few of my books raw graded. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. They couldn't even come close to their TAT on the raw graded books. They did sell for a decent amount of money but all in all not worth it. Better to just get the full service with resto check.

I kinda wish cgc would already offer this as part of their prescreen rejection service maybe for $2 more without the actual attempt at a sealed/tamper protected bag. I mean they've already done the grading effort and likely noted the key defects to make the decision to reject. they would only need to write the anticipated grade and grader notes on a sticker and slap that on the bag of each comic that got rejected and ship back.  I hate having those few prescreen books get rejected and not having anything to show for it. at least confirming the grade.

7 minutes ago, justafan said:

I kinda wish cgc would already offer this as part of their prescreen rejection service maybe for $2 more without the actual attempt at a sealed/tamper protected bag. I mean they've already done the grading effort and likely noted the key defects to make the decision to reject. they would only need to write the anticipated grade and grader notes on a sticker and slap that on the bag of each comic that got rejected and ship back.  I hate having those few prescreen books get rejected and not having anything to show for it. at least confirming the grade.

They could even do a basic resto check and state no obvious resto.  That would cover like 90% of resto- the sharpie fill ins and trimming.

13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

They make tamper proof stickers, not sure if they're used in this instance, but tamper proof stickers disintegrate no matter how they're pulled off...

Car factories had these stickers for VIN tags and other tags for many years since. They’re not that new idea... 

16 hours ago, Jeffro. said:
18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I honestly cannot wait to see someone tamper with that and slip in a 2.0 copy of the same book. 

That is just begging to be taken advantage of just to show them what a poor idea that is. 

It's a batpoopy crazy idea. I'm not shocked that they came up with this idea but I am shocked that they actually followed through with it. Just a bad idea on so many levels. 

It is a perfect example of how not ready for prime time they were. Very disappointing.

On 3/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, jcjames said:

Is this new and how reliable is it, especially the no-resto-check. 

I would think the 'no-resto-check' portion is extremely reliable........

18 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Who is to say it hasn’t gotten a few new dings in that bag since grading? I think any comic with a grade attached to the holder needs a holder that can reliably deter further damage. A bag and board is fine if you’re careful but it can taco up in a box, be dropped, be shipped poorly, and still have the grade

Ummmm... please see below hm

if14.jpg