• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 1-26 thread ... share & discuss
2 2

218 posts in this topic

Beautiful copy of #3! 

Some nice issues closed last night on CC.  A 2, 8, 9, and 11.  All very nice presenting.  Had a concert last night and couldn't watch them finish.  Was under bidder on the two I wanted... :sorry: Hope some of you had better luck!  

Detective 26 is cover dated April 1939 and only has "The BATMAN" in text at the top of a humor page, as does Adventure #37 (also cover dated April 1939) and Action 12 is cover dated May 1939, as is Detective 27. 

Mike's Amazing World has the newsstand date of Detective #26 as March 21st, Adventure #37 as March 23rd, Action #12 April 4th and Detective #27 as April 18th 1939. So, Detective #26 is the first MENTION of The Batman in writing and Action #12 is the first published PICTURE of The Batman.

The first pic below is from my old copy of Detective #26, the second pic is from my old copy of Adventure #37. 

Detective 26 The Batman.jpg

adventure 37 Batman mention.JPG

15 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Detective 26 is cover dated April 1939 and only has "The BATMAN" in text at the top of a humor page, as does Adventure #37 (also cover dated April 1939) and Action 12 is cover dated May 1939, as is Detective 27. 

Mike's Amazing World has the newsstand date of Detective #26 as March 21st, Adventure #37 as March 23rd, Action #12 April 4th and Detective #27 as April 18th 1939. So, Detective #26 is the first MENTION of The Batman in writing and Action #12 is the first published PICTURE of The Batman.

The first pic below is from my old copy of Detective #26, the second pic is from my old copy of Adventure #37. 

Detective 26 The Batman.jpg

adventure 37 Batman mention.JPG

You had me read all that to just confirm Action 12 was the 1st pic of Batman :makepoint: on a drinking day:preach: