• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comparing same CGC grades
1 1

13 posts in this topic

So when buying the same grade CGC book, like 4.0 vs 4.0, obvuiously I try to look for nicer covers with whiter pages or “Something that presents well.”

But overall, is there a major price difference within the grade? 

Reason I ask, I’m thinking about buying a major key Daredevil #1 that is very faded.  It’s graded 2.0.  Would it be worth less in that CGC grade and would I have a harder time selling it at that grade’s price point ?  

Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

So when buying the same grade CGC book, like 4.0 vs 4.0, obvuiously I try to look for nicer covers with whiter pages or “Something that presents well.”

But overall, is there a major price difference within the grade? 

Reason I ask, I’m thinking about buying a major key Daredevil #1 that is very faded.  It’s graded 2.0.  Would it be worth less in that CGC grade and would I have a harder time selling it at that grade’s price point ?  

Thanks! 

Interesting question. I think you've hit on some of the reasons a certain book may be preferred over another even if they're both the same numerical grade. Things like nicer covers, whiter pages, and better presentation all qualify as reasons to purchase one copy over another. You could add things like stronger spines and richer colors to this equation as well. Since comic books are primarily a visual medium, keep that in mind when buying or selling. I hope this helps, and welcome to the boards...

8 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Interesting question. I think you've hit on some of the reasons a certain book may be preferred over another even if they're both the same numerical grade. Things like nicer covers, whiter pages, and better presentation all qualify as reasons to purchase one copy over another. You could add things like stronger spines and richer colors to this equation as well. Since comic books are primarily a visual medium, keep that in mind when buying or selling. I hope this helps, and welcome to the boards...

Right that is exactly what I am asking.  Like this Avengers 1 that was just purchased, will it be worth less than other CGC 5.5's because of the faded cover?   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-1-Cgc-5-5-First-Appearance-The-Avengers-Freshly-graded/264230915683?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

8 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Right that is exactly what I am asking.  Like this Avengers 1 that was just purchased, will it be worth less than other CGC 5.5's because of the faded cover?   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-1-Cgc-5-5-First-Appearance-The-Avengers-Freshly-graded/264230915683?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The old adage of, "it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it", comes to mind.

Personally, I would pay more for a more colorful (and white pages) book of the same grade. It really depends on each individual collector/buyer, though.

8 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I would think so...but to each his own...(shrug)

Different buyers have different preferences and turn-offs. Some of the most notable detractors for universal labels that some buyers will simply not buy (or at least not pay FMV for) are rust, tape, water damage, serious fading, writing on cover, marvel chipping, etc.... It's important to note that not everyone falls on their sword for the defects I noted, but some selectively do...and that can impact price, but not necessarily. Best answer I have for an unanswerable question...

Edited by Callaway29

53 minutes ago, telerites said:

buy the book not the label

This is the best advice. 

I have a few 2.5s that smoke almost every 5.0 that I've seen. There is a difference in "technical grade" and presentation. 

Let's take one of those 2.5s as an example. From a presentation standpoint, the front cover would score a 6.0 all day long. So why the low "technical" grade? Because there is a significant piece torn off the back cover. I'd rather own the lower technical grade because it is a much better looking book, despite its flaw. 

If I ever sell, would I price it identically to other 2.5s? No way! Because my 2.5 is significantly more attractive, in spite of the technical grade. 

This is especially true with Golden Age books. Fiction House books, for example, are known for wild variances in color quality and strike. A book with deep, vivid color will definitely command a premium over one that does not. The same is true with page quality, although some people ask for TOO much of a premium. Conversely, a book with brittle pages (worthless, in my opinion) is going to suffer a bit when put to market. 

With more modern books, people look at things like centering and miscuts. I'd pay a little more for a book with good cover alignment. 

11 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Quick answer? Yes. That's exactly how the chips should fall. 

20 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Another quick and direct answer: yes it would (should) be worth less than non-faded books, and yes, you would definitely have a harder time selling it for GPA or FMV. 

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

Another quick and direct answer: yes it would (should) be worth less than non-faded books, and yes, you would definitely have a harder time selling it for GPA or FMV. 

It makes sense, with the nature of graded books being that you only see the covers.

There's probably a small percentage of collectors who don't feel the same, I'd guess.

14 hours ago, newshane said:

This is the best advice. 

I have a few 2.5s that smoke almost every 5.0 that I've seen. There is a difference in "technical grade" and presentation. 

Let's take one of those 2.5s as an example. From a presentation standpoint, the front cover would score a 6.0 all day long. So why the low "technical" grade? Because there is a significant piece torn off the back cover. I'd rather own the lower technical grade because it is a much better looking book, despite its flaw. 

If I ever sell, would I price it identically to other 2.5s? No way! Because my 2.5 is significantly more attractive, in spite of the technical grade. 

This is especially true with Golden Age books. Fiction House books, for example, are known for wild variances in color quality and strike. A book with deep, vivid color will definitely command a premium over one that does not. The same is true with page quality, although some people ask for TOO much of a premium. Conversely, a book with brittle pages (worthless, in my opinion) is going to suffer a bit when put to market. 

With more modern books, people look at things like centering and miscuts. I'd pay a little more for a book with good cover alignment. 

This makes sense logically.  But, have you had difficulty in the past selling a nice looking 2.5 for a premium price?  I mean I would think it would be hard to find buyers to pay say 3.5 price for a 2.5 am I correct?