• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will we ever see another true key comic?
3 3

147 posts in this topic

I suppose it takes a generation to really know whether a character has staying power beyond the original creator. For example, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Archie, Micky Mouse, Donald Duck, outlived their creators and were eventually written and drawn by multiple artists and writers. We won't know whether Rick Grimes or Deena Pilgrim (Powers) will be around after Kirkman and Bendis are done with them. Therefore, it's unclear whether or not their first appearances will be considered true keys in the future.

Edited by CycleGirl

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You may have to jog my memory...

Did someone post a picture or 2 in this thread?

Wait a minute - has "Key Comics" ever even existed!?

Sorry, by the time I decided to embed a link, you had already quoted my post :foryou:

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

I was half joking about Dazzler but continuing with the X-Men mutant rollout methodology, introduce Dazzler in a cameo appearance.  Gauge fan reaction, then see if it warrants a solo movie or larger role.

That's how they introduced Colossus, Cable, Kitty Pryde, etc.

The upcoming Phoenix movie maybe a great opportunity to squeeze Dazzler in there.  

Disney now options all actors to 6 picture deals to lock them in for 2 trilogies.  They need younger actors and actresses.

Once you get the movie cameo, the 2 aforementioned Dazzler books will spike.  If a solo movie kicks in, it has the potential to be a key.

22 hours ago, CycleGirl said:

I suppose it takes a generation to really know whether a character has staying power beyond the original creator. For example, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Archie, Micky Mouse, Donald Duck, outlived their creators and were eventually written and drawn by multiple artists and writers. We won't know whether Rick Grimes or Deena Pilgrim (Powers) will be around after Kirkman and Bendis are done with them. Therefore, it's unclear whether or not their first appearances will be considered true keys in the future.

THIS. 

3 hours ago, drotto said:

I agree.  Movies determine price bumps, which usually are temporary, but do not usually go back to baseline.

Keys in my mind have value idependant of spikes caused by other media.

This is a good point. Look at FF #1. It was one of the most important keys long before the recent run of Marvel movies and it has not been diminished (very much) by some really awful movies.

I hope so. I'd like to think Image has something neat up its sleeve for Spawn #300. I hope Cates & Stegman can continue to thin the symbiote herd & give us a Venom/Carnage story with the impact of the initial ASM #361-363, or Maximum Carnage arc. I'm really hoping Three Jokers is remembered for the quality of the writing and/or art, rather than the excessive variety in variant covers...

5 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Have you read much of the Miles Morales stuff?

Enough to know he isn't that compelling to me, and upgrading a few of his powers to make him 'better' than Peter Parker, is a cheap grab to make him 2.0.   Should have left him in the Ultimate Universe.  Now he is just another Spider character in an already crowded field.    I have more interest in Major X than Miles at this point.  At least Major X may be somewhat unique.  

51 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Will we see another superman/Spider-Man?

no

will we see another Wolverine/punisher?

yes

Will we see another Woodgod?? :popcorn:

On 3/21/2019 at 6:06 PM, CycleGirl said:

Rick Grimes

He is a one character appearance except for parody, all of the other Key characters such as Superman lend themselves to appear in multiple comic titles, that's what makes them important. Spider-Gwen and Harley appealed to a growing young female readership that has worked in their favour, Captain Marvel won't have the same appeal because she is just too powerful and a carbon copy of her male counterpart. I think that if there were to be another Key that it would come from this target audience and be young feisty cute.(thumbsu