• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you ever forget to put a bid in an auction?
4 4

30 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

About a month ago a decent ToS 15 first Goom sold for around $60.00.  I kicked myself for not bidding on that one.  I also have to realize that I would not necessarily had gotten it if I had placed a bid of $61.00.  You never know how much the other person would have bid.  Sometimes, I think that books like that may only have a couple of determined competitors and that is what is results in high prices in the end.  It is only the absence of that 2nd competitor that makes the other guy get such a good deal.  

What I have gotten in the habit of is checking for auctions ending on days other than Sunday.  On a random Wednesday, for example, you can type in "X-Men Bronze Age" and select "auction only ending soonest" and you can be surprised what might turn up.  You can get some good deals on those ones.  If it is Sunday evening though, forget about it. 

Refreshing to see a reference to a Pre-Hero Marvel book in this thread.

Yes. All the time.

There's some losses I just can't shake, a year or two ago there was this Batman #181 that looked amazing, near mint likely. I fell asleep waiting for it, when I awoke I had missed the auction end by five minutes or so and when I saw the price it sold for I was gutted, it was like 120 quid or something, two bids :cry:

That one hurt and I still think of it to this day! 

You gotta take the rough with the smooth I guess. It's all fun and games :)

I am on losing streak so long that has unmotivated me to bid them. Yes, sometimes I forget to bid even two minutes left from the end of the auction I just walked away for something. It was expired. That is life.

Edited by JollyComics

Sure, but it was never anything that important to me that I couldn't get again some other time. The only one that stung wasn't for a comic, but in the pre internet mail auction days I blew a chance to get a very rare record I always wanted, I somehow never mailed in my bid and of course it went for really cheap and of course I never have seen it for sale since. It still haunts me to this day.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:39 PM, grayzr said:

The best feeling in the world is when you forget then later when you finally remember to check it sold way more then you were gonna bid anyways.

Honestly feels better then winning sometimes :cloud9:

yep that has saved my *spoon* many times!