• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How common are mismatched covers/interiors, and how...

2 posts in this topic

Does it happen as the books are being printed? Is it more common in GA or SA books? I just got a book with a Speed Comics 14 cover, and a Pocket Comics 2 interior. I've confirmed it's not a married cover, it was created that way. I asked about this on the GA board and got no replies. Thx.

Covers and guts were printed separately, and in the olden times, they had to be put together manually. (When I say manually, I mean that piles of printed covers and printed interiors had to be put into the binding machine by hand, and then they would be stapled together. I don't mean that every comic was stapled one by one.)

So as these guts and covers were brought together, there was always a chance that something could have gone wrong. It didn't happen often and there were people who worked at the printers who checked every step, but we're all human.

Sometimes you'll see the wrong interior. Or you'll see the insides printed upside down or back to front. You can see a repeat of pages. You can see multiple covers. 

A few of these misprints lead to a price bump -- multiple covers is the best example -- but most really drop the price and make it a novelty item. (That ridiculous seller with the $1.2 million wrong cover/interior match-up doesn't agree with that, but he's also been trying to sell that book for a long time.) I would say that your book is nothing more than a printing error, and not one that would make it more valuable; I suspect, in fact, that it makes it much less valuable and more difficult to sell.