• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turnaround time for highest tier?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I saw something similar to my question, but not exactly the same so thought I would ask to be sure.

I submitted my low grade AF 15 to CGC for grading through a very reputable shop that has been in business for over 25 years. The highest tier (to my limited understanding at least) takes the shortest amount of time, right? It's only been about two weeks, but my main concern is that they said CGC does not give them a status update; is that true? I don't know why,  but I just assume they gave updates, maybe not...

By the way, my 300th post! It only took me 11 years lol!

Edited by Badlands

There are a number of variables possibly at work that affect "how long". 

The fastest, most expensive tier is for books sent in valued above $3000.  The turn around time on that tier is one day.  For books over $1000 but $3000 or less, the turn around time is five business days. 

Now you know exactly how long it normally takes for CGC to grade, encapsulate and ship the two highest priced tiers. 

As for the shop you had send it in and their "we get no status updates".  That isn't exactly true.  It is true that CGC does not email submitters (dealers, those with Collector Society accounts) status updates.  BUT---those that can submit can log into their CGC accounts and see the current status of all their submissions that have been received by CGC and entered into the CGC workflow management/tracking system. 

HOWEVER....there is a lot more than CGC's turnaround time that affects how long it takes. 
1) How quickly did the store send your book to CGC? Did they send the next day? A week later? More? 

2) Shipping to CGC: If your book was sent Registered Mail, it can easily take a full week, sometimes longer, for the package to get delivered to CGC. Depending on the declared value of the book, your LCS may have decided to use registered mail for insurance reasons.

3)  How long did it take CGC - after receiving the package - to open it and enter the book into tracking system? THIS MOMENT counts as the day CGC's clock starts as far as their Turn Around Time. There is typically a delay of 2-4 days from the time CGC receives a package to the time the package has been opened, inspected and logged in. Again, ONLY AFTER the book(s) have been logged in does CGC's "clock" start. 

4) Then return shipping back to you.  The default return shipping method by CGC is the aforementioned Registered Mail. It will likely take a week - maybe longer - for the book to arrive after CGC has shipped it. 

So if you dropped your book of at your Local Comic Book Store two weeks ago, it's entirely possible CGC has yet to receive it. Or has received the package but not yet opened it and logged it in,  

But your LCS can tell you something. Ask them directly when they mailed it  and what tracking says as to the package's location. IF the package has been delivered to CGC, ask them to log into their CGC dealer portal and see what the status of the book is. If the package has been delivered to CGC but the book is not showing on their portal, then it's still in the box waiting for CGC's receiving status to open it. If the book is in CGC's tracking system, the dealer will see the current status. 

"But your LCS can tell you something. Ask them directly when they mailed it  and what tracking says as to the package's location. IF the package has been delivered to CGC, ask them to log into their CGC dealer portal and see what the status of the book is. If the package has been delivered to CGC but the book is not showing on their portal, then it's still in the box waiting for CGC's receiving status to open it. If the book is in CGC's tracking system, the dealer will see the current status."

This entire answer is outstanding, and i will take this paragraph's action...errrr....tomorrow as they are closed today.  Dang it!  Tony, thank you for taking the time for the detailed, specific response for a newbie submitter, I very much appreciate it!

Hi. 1st sorry to say but if you were going to send using the highest tier you really should have sent them yourself. You get 150.00 credit for joining CGC so thats reason enough.

Anyway the highest tier cost 150 dollars and that is same day. So basically if you sent the comics yourself you would see the status of your comic on the CGC website within a couple of days of them receiving it. The 2nd tier is the 5 day 100 dollar tier and with that you would see the status about 1 week after they received it. But an AF 15 should have got sent using the 150.00 tier 

The status is found in the My Submissions link on the welcome page after you sign in. Can't miss it.  

Can't miss it. You better find out.