• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #3, NEED ADVICE

7 posts in this topic

Need advice on this one, hopefully anyone in the know can guide me. I purchased a golden age Superman #3 with the two centerfolds pages missing. Obviously the book is incomplete. There is an opportunity to purchase a coverless Supes #3 that is complete. Is it a good idea to go ahead with the thought to marry the missing pages and have a complete book then submit for grading? I do not have any experience with the process. I figure the book would grade in the 3.5-4.0 range as is. Would a complete book justify the added expense?

8 hours ago, zeezee said:

Need advice on this one, hopefully anyone in the know can guide me. I purchased a golden age Superman #3 with the two centerfolds pages missing. Obviously the book is incomplete. There is an opportunity to purchase a coverless Supes #3 that is complete. Is it a good idea to go ahead with the thought to marry the missing pages and have a complete book then submit for grading? I do not have any experience with the process. I figure the book would grade in the 3.5-4.0 range as is. Would a complete book justify the added expense?

I cannot offer any advice on marrying the copies, however...

Was just wondering how this book would garner a VG-3.5 to VG 4.0 with a missing centerfold.

For a Universal Blue Label the book as is would not garner a better grade than a FR 1.0 which the grading standards state...

"The centerfold may be missing if readability is generally preserved"

In order to garner a grade of VG- 3.5 to VG 4.0 a book with a missing centerfold would have to get a "Qualified Green Label".

The question then becomes does a book with married pages/cover count as "restoration" in which case the book would get a "Purple Restored Label".

If you are looking at this as an investment and plan on selling the book my suggestion would be to contact CGC, ask them about marrying the copies and then weigh the options as to what label it will get, price to have the books married, price to grade, how much you will have invested, how much you can sell it for, etc.

Are you looking at the coverless copy at MCS?

A consignment book, coverless with a detached centerfold for $1730.00???

A Superman 3 CGC 2.0 sold on eBay on March 24 for $1843.88

Guide for this book in a raw GD 2.0 is about $1300.00 so a coverless copy should IMO only cost 1/3 - 1/2 of the GD 2.0 price.

(Naturally this all depends on the book IE: Action Comics 1, TEC 27, Showcase 4, AF 15, etc. would probably bring more.) 

Since I am a "Collector Only" if I had a book with a full cover that was only missing the centerfold and I only wanted another "complete copy" for my collection to read I would certainly buy a coverless copy if the Price Was Right and keep both just as they were.

Thanks for the feedback. Want to keep it for my collection, just a preference to have a complete book. You are probably right that the cost doesn't justify the preference. On the point you brought up about what label the book would get with married pages. I have seen universal blue label on books stating married pages. I guess it is at the discretion of cgc as to what label they put on it. 

9 hours ago, zeezee said:

Thanks for the feedback. Want to keep it for my collection, just a preference to have a complete book. You are probably right that the cost doesn't justify the preference. 

:preach: As a collector I understand completely, however over the years I have learned to show restraint although for some folks that is difficult, especially for younger folks with disposable income.

For years (before eBay came along) I was searching for a JIM 91 with absolutely no luck, then at a small, local show I came across a copy with the centerfold missing for $10.00, I snapped it up, filled my run :applause: and upgraded the copy years later at the right price. :cloud9:

I needed a Sad Sack #1 to complete my run of 10 cent copies (1-124) and came across a coverless copy on eBay for $25.00 and bought that copy immediately, guide for a GD 2.0 is $123.00 so I paid 20% of the GD 2.0 price for a complete although coverless copy and I am fine with that. :cloud9:

I am only stating this so you do not allow your emotions to get the better of you and overspend for a copy that you may regret later on.

Be patient (difficult I know) and keep your eyes open for another coverless/remainder copy at the RIGHT PRICE which as i already stated should be around the $400.00 - $600.00 range. :preach:

Ultimately the decision is all yours...

Good Luck on your Final Decision and Search.  :wishluck:     (thumbsu   

56 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

:preach: As a collector I understand completely, however over the years I have learned to show restraint although for some folks that is difficult, especially for younger folks with disposable income.

For years (before eBay came along) I was searching for a JIM 91 with absolutely no luck, then at a small, local show I came across a copy with the centerfold missing for $10.00, I snapped it up, filled my run :applause: and upgraded the copy years later at the right price. :cloud9:

I needed a Sad Sack #1 to complete my run of 10 cent copies (1-124) and came across a coverless copy on eBay for $25.00 and bought that copy immediately, guide for a GD 2.0 is $123.00 so I paid 20% of the GD 2.0 price for a complete although coverless copy and I am fine with that. :cloud9:

I am only stating this so you do not allow your emotions to get the better of you and overspend for a copy that you may regret later on.

Be patient (difficult I know) and keep your eyes open for another coverless/remainder copy at the RIGHT PRICE which as i already stated should be around the $400.00 - $600.00 range. :preach:

Ultimately the decision is all yours...

Good Luck on your Final Decision and Search.  :wishluck:     (thumbsu   

Sage advice. Thanks and you are right, patience is the key.