Sketch Cover insanity continued......
1 1

28 posts in this topic

1,488 posts

I have not seen the blank sketch comics that Will is referring to.

However, DC has rebooted their comic book history several times the last few years and botched it up.  :sick:

:idea: 

Why not let the fans write and draw their own comic?   

It might be better than what DC can come up with.  :whatthe:  

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

1,356 posts
3 hours ago, Will_K said:

I'm really baffled by the blank, really blank sketch comics.  For example, Superman Blank, Batman Blank and Wonder Woman Blank.  The covers are blank except for the logo and price.  The insides (10 pages) of WW Blank are totally blank.  The interior pages seem to be have a smooth finish.  The covers are more on the vellum side. 

And... no ads. 

They might as well make @AnkurJ 's idea official and publish Bristol boards with logos.

I have to admit, I've got 1 each of Supes and Batman.  And 2 of WW.

These books were sold in coordination with "24 hour comics day".  The idea was for people to buy and create their own comic, hence why it's entirely blank.  Here's the official blurb from DC's site.  I personally bought one of each and am hoping to start a sketch book.  Unfortunately, I imagine the cost will be astronomical.

image.png.d9bfc93d5698426a04a98ca4ebfb496e.png

1,010 posts
12 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

These books were sold in coordination with "24 hour comics day".  The idea was for people to buy and create their own comic, hence why it's entirely blank.  Here's the official blurb from DC's site.  I personally bought one of each and am hoping to start a sketch book.  Unfortunately, I imagine the cost will be astronomical.

image.png.d9bfc93d5698426a04a98ca4ebfb496e.png

At that price, it shows how little the publishers must be paying the artists and writers since this is the bulk of the cost of a new book.

333 posts

Curious to know how much the Frank Miller sketch covers cost at the cons? Does Frank do these on a whim and doesn't look to pocket much or are these set up in advance. 

1,356 posts
5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

At that price, it shows how little the publishers must be paying the artists and writers since this is the bulk of the cost of a new book.

The blank books don't have any ads so that must be factored in.  No idea how much the publishers make on ad placements since most of the ad pages seem to be marketing/promotions for their own products (TV shows, movies, other comics, etc).

1,010 posts
1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

The blank books don't have any ads so that must be factored in.  No idea how much the publishers make on ad placements since most of the ad pages seem to be marketing/promotions for their own products (TV shows, movies, other comics, etc).

Presumably, they are not paying themselves anything for their house ads. Even "in the day", how much could they be charging someone selling "sea monkeys"?

2,128 posts
24 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Presumably, they are not paying themselves anything for their house ads. Even "in the day", how much could they be charging someone selling "sea monkeys"?

Wow!  That's a dangerous post. 

Everyone knows you don't mess with Big Monkey.

1,010 posts
6 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Wow!  That's a dangerous post. 

Everyone knows you don't mess with Big Monkey.

I love to live dangerously. Still waiting for my electro-shock hand buzzer and x-ray eye glasses.