• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the Third or Fourth Sign of the CGC Apocalypse?

20 posts in this topic

I worked in a comic book store during the Valiant days. I only liked Shadow Man. The owner of the store would do subscriptions and there were so many people holding aside like 5 - 10 of each Valiant Title. It was a horrible sight. I bought what I like and that being Shadow Man. What did in Valiant anyway? Was it Birth Quake ( Death Quake ) or something like that? I can't remember. lol

"this is how i know i was never a speculator, i don't own a valiant book or have ever bought one."

Early Valiants are not bad reads. SOLAR is quite good and I actually liked the Harbinger trade paperback. You can probably find these trades lurking in the cheapy bins at shows for a song as well. Give 'em a try, you might be surprised smile.gif

"this is how i know i was never a speculator, i don't own a valiant book or have ever bought one"

........beleive it or not, it wasn't just speculators that bought valiants, they were actually good quality books with strong creative teams................i bought them to 'read'...................i know, a crazy thing to do with comics.............. crazy.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

Barry W Smith did some gr8 detailed art w/ Archer & Armstrong. Too bad the print runs were crazy high for dble sz issue #8 w/c a lot of ppl speculated on.

Some of the hi-# Valiants r actually hard to find w/ their lower print runs. Even the mag sized Turok (Valiant/Acclaim) #2 & 3 r tough to find for the Turok completist.

I liked Valiant in the early days because the stories were good. I think the demand from true readers/collectors started the Valiant phenomenon, but then the sportscard/speculator element got on the bandwagon, sales got artificially high, started to be pumped out....

.... and the rest is history. frown.gif

I wonder if demand for late Valiants will creep up in the coming years?

There's demand for early Valiants now. Pre-Unity ONLY, and ONLY the "major" titles, but they jump at $5-10 each. The Magnus 12 and Solar 10, the big Valiant "keys" aren't insane, but sell at $10-12.

Listen to me, I sound like Doug Sulipa.

Doug is a favorite dealer of mine, as well.

I can't speak for anyone else, Dan, but anytime you've got insights to share from a retailer's point of view, I'm all ears. cool.gif