• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 scam on ebay
2 2

75 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

This is the likely scenario. And what in my way of thinking makes this listing a drastically different animal than the Marvel Tales AS 129 reprint listing.

I may be wrong, but IMO, the entire way in which the FrankenHulk 181 listing is presented has the aura of seller "selective stupidity". I think the seller knows exactly what it is and is hoping someone with the chalkmarked handprint on his back stumbles by. That's just the way it looks to me.

On another forum, someone posted they mailed the seller the following 6 days ago. This was what was posted:

I sent him this info like 6 days ago when I saw the bidding was at $202

This is a fake just as you thought, the inside is actually "Incredible Hulk and Wolverine #1" which Reprints Incredible Hulk #180 181 from 1986!. Also it looks like someone taped a new cover to it.
Check out this listing the inside says the same as yours "originally presented in Incredible hulk 180 and 181.....Someone is going to be very pissed off when they pay over $200 for a $3 book.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FTHE-INCREDIBLE-HULK-AND-WOLVERINE-1-OCT-1986-MARVEL-8-0-VF-GREAT-BUY%2F122954974505%3Fhash%3Ditem1ca0b00529%3Ag%3AERIAAOSwSVJacOBn

Here is his reply

I stated very clearly to ask questions and that I wasn't claiming more than an Incredible HULK Comic Book ... I truly appreciate you trying to help but I am comfortable at starting at $.99 Cents and letting them set the price! I also in the description point out the facts you stated ... I do thank you for looking out Smile

He knew....

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

On another forum, someone posted they mailed the seller the following 6 days ago. This was what was posted:

I sent him this info like 6 days ago when I saw the bidding was at $202

This is a fake just as you thought, the inside is actually "Incredible Hulk and Wolverine #1" which Reprints Incredible Hulk #180 181 from 1986!. Also it looks like someone taped a new cover to it.
Check out this listing the inside says the same as yours "originally presented in Incredible hulk 180 and 181.....Someone is going to be very pissed off when they pay over $200 for a $3 book.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FTHE-INCREDIBLE-HULK-AND-WOLVERINE-1-OCT-1986-MARVEL-8-0-VF-GREAT-BUY%2F122954974505%3Fhash%3Ditem1ca0b00529%3Ag%3AERIAAOSwSVJacOBn

Here is his reply

I stated very clearly to ask questions and that I wasn't claiming more than an Incredible HULK Comic Book ... I truly appreciate you trying to help but I am comfortable at starting at $.99 Cents and letting them set the price! I also in the description point out the facts you stated ... I do thank you for looking out Smile

He knew....

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I see both sides but I am leaning on the side of the seller since he did state that he didn't know anything about comic's and that he showed a photo showing that it was a reprint.

Plus who knows, maybe the buyer just wanted the cover because he had a coverless hulk 181? What would a nice cover only of Hulk 181 go for anyways?

Edited by Xenosmilus

3 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

He knew....

Of course he knew. A Frankenbook doesn't just materialize one day on his kitchen table; pop up out of nowhere. It got there somehow, right? 99.99% of all collections contain regularly published comics, as bought over the years from newsstands, not Frankenbooks built with facsimile covers. Especially that he knows the difference between a facsimile cover and the real thing, and tis cover is readily available on ebay from several different sellers (how they get away with copyright infringement I don't know). The likely scenario is that it didn't spontaneously generate and suddenly appear. It's probable that the seller himself is the one who bought the components separately and assembled the parts himself. .

8 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I have seen a lot of nice silver age books like below on ebay with a cheap price and 0 feedback from china 3 to 5 times a day

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-2-Vol-1-Near-Perfect-High-Grade-2nd-App-of-the-X-Men-1st-Vanisher-1963/382904191133?hash=item5926de489d:g:aUEAAOSw3bBctX2d

seems legit :tonofbricks:

20 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Even though the auction is over I reported it as fraud. Next time we see something like this we should all hit the guy with e-mails and warnings. No reason this should happen.

Apparently whomever was fooled by his first listing didn’t follow through.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HULK-Comic-Book-First-Appearance-Of-The-Wolverine-Vintage-Issue-Recovered-HTF-/183775934675?nav=SEARCH

13 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

This one doesn't show a grade.  What could possibly go wrong?

It is the Hulk and Wolverine 1 reprint from the 80's with a repro cover on it.

If the guy writes that he doesn't know, I would believe him. He says he does not know. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge on Hulk #181 would steer clear after seeing the pics and reading the description. Anyone thinking they scored, well they will be disappointed yes but that is partially their fault. The guy claims what he sees (repro cover, maybe a Hulk 181) and while it may all be on purpose, I don't feel bad for someone who did not do research before spending up on such a book.

Would be like me buying a 1956 Corvette from a guy who thinks its a '56. He is not sure, the front end seems right but he is not 100%. The engine he posts pics of and, from someone who is a car guy, they know that engine did not come in a '56 vette. My fault if I overpay as buyer without consulting when the owner claimed he was unsure too. 

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

The doosh bag has 90% feedback most of it from same person. 

friend of scumbag.PNG

The guy must attract not the brightest people then if the same buyer keeps buying from him and keeps giving negative reviews :roflmao:.

Edited by Xenosmilus

11 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

It is the Hulk and Wolverine 1 reprint from the 80's with a repro cover on it.

If the guy writes that he doesn't know, I would believe him. He says he does not know. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge on Hulk #181 would steer clear after seeing the pics and reading the description. Anyone thinking they scored, well they will be disappointed yes but that is partially their fault. The guy claims what he sees (repro cover, maybe a Hulk 181) and while it may all be on purpose, I don't feel bad for someone who did not do research before spending up on such a book.

Would be like me buying a 1956 Corvette from a guy who thinks its a '56. He is not sure, the front end seems right but he is not 100%. The engine he posts pics of and, from someone who is a car guy, they know that engine did not come in a '56 vette. My fault if I overpay as buyer without consulting when the owner claimed he was unsure too. 

I see what you're saying and yes the buyers need to be educated before making a purchase. But look at what happens in the end. Assuming he finds a sucker and gets paid, someone will be very disappointed. I know his own dang fault right? But the seller still gets his money for something he didn't rightfully earn. He played the stupid card and cashed out on it. Now someone sees this and they decide to try and make a buck off another key book and next thing you know is you have a community filled with "eh I don't what this is but it could be a key" auctions. Is that what we want? No way. This person was told by many members what he had up for sale. The 1st page says what it is for crying out loud. Yet he ignored it. Book sold for $400 and another one "oh gosh he must have had 2 of these in that collection he inherited " is currently up for sale. If this is what you want Ebay to become then nevermind my post and keep doing what you're doing. But if any part of this leaves a bad taste in your mouth do something. Email the seller yet 1 more time let him know we're onto him.Plus report it. Let's stop this before it becomes a trend that puts another nail in the selling communities coffin.

If the same guy has another up for sale, then I lean towards the notion he knows what he is doing. I did not know that when I posted. Share a link, and I will happily report because I agree that it begins to sound like he is definitely trying to play the dumb card to take advantage of someone.