• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1 CGC 4.0 1941
9 9

48 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm surprised the book has not sold yet. Great colors, looks better than a 4.0, great price. A lot going for it.

I agree about the colors and eye appeal.  It’s a great book.  Bad timing for me, though.  2 months ago I was heavy in the hunt, but took Filter81’s instead.  Otherwise, I would have made my move on this one.

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I agree about the colors and eye appeal.  It’s a great book.  Bad timing for me, though.  2 months ago I was heavy in the hunt, but took Filter81’s instead.  Otherwise, I would have made my move on this one.

Timing is everything, by design or pure accidental, (thumbsu

On 4/17/2019 at 5:05 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Actually, the appearance of Cap 1 caused a lot of ruckus.  At that point, many Americans hadn’t decided if this Hitler guy was really bad or not, with  some actually liking the guy( and fast forward to today:  the more things change, the more they stay the same).  So when this book was published, there was a backlash from a certain segment of the population.  So much so that the mayor of New York had to provide police protection to Simon and Kirby.   It’s easy to look back now and know what a monster Hitler was, but at the time, this was groundbreaking stuff

That's because nearly half of America, at the time, had German heritage. 

EDIT - I've been politely corrected via PM. :) Not half of America. But they were still the predominant ethnic group. "There were 488 German-language daily and weekly newspapers around 1900..." - NYT

Edited by newshane