• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are early black cat appearances worth holding onto

69 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you have to change the parameters to make your point, your point isn't valid.

I never changed my parameters. You did.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And just so we're clear: 9.8 is the very definition of "not average."

It's actually a very common way to judge value change since it is an agreed upon grade and assigned value that can be properly tracked. Looking at raw's from pictures on eBay is the effective way.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:
10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you have to change the parameters to make your point, your point isn't valid.

I never changed my parameters. You did.

"I know you are, but what am I?" Come on. 

Nobody was talking about 9.8s selling for $10-$15, and you know it. Nobody was talking about raw apparent books in 9.8, and you know that as well. Don't change the parameters just to "prove" someone wrong, just because you were challenged.

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:
10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And just so we're clear: 9.8 is the very definition of "not average."

It's actually a very common way to judge value change since it is an agreed upon grade and assigned value that can be properly tracked. Looking at raw's from pictures on eBay is the effective way.

Then you ought to state that in your position upfront. "This book is on fire in 9.8!" rather than merely saying the book is "on fire." $10-$15 for average copies on eBay for a 35 year old book is not "on fire." 

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I always liked the Black Cat. I'm sure I have more Black Cat comics than Catwoman comics.

She's a great character. My introduction to her was in ASM #316...which, frankly, was quite shocking, as she got beaten to a bloody pulp. It was quite graphic for an ASM issue. Poor Felicia!

;)

35 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nobody was talking about 9.8s selling for $10-$15, and you know it. Nobody was talking about raw apparent books in 9.8, and you know that as well. Don't change the parameters just to "prove" someone wrong, just because you were challenged.

Then you ought to state that in your position upfront. "This book is on fire in 9.8!" rather than merely saying the book is "on fire." $10-$15 for average copies on eBay for a 35 year old book is not "on fire." 

Uhh, yea...give it up dude. Your crusade to follow me around is getting tired for everyone.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
46 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Uhh, yea...give it up dude. Your crusade to follow me around is getting tired for everyone.

This is called "projection", which means someone accuses someone else of the things that they, themselves, are doing.

Some advice for you, gogo, if you can accept it: if you assume everyone who challenges you is doing it for personal reasons, you're going to always have difficulty on the internet. If you can't have disagreements without making it personal, the problem is yours...not anyone else's. This may come as a shock to you, but I'm just not that into you. No one...least of all, people who have been here for years longer than you, and will probably be here for years after you...is "following you around." 

And if I was really trying to upset you, I'd just nitpick your endless grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors. That's the extent of my "trolling." I don't, because this song isn't about you.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is called "projection", which means someone accuses someone else of the things that they, themselves, are doing.

Some advice for you, gogo, if you can accept it: if you assume everyone who challenges you is doing it for personal reasons, you're going to always have difficulty on the internet. If you can't have disagreements without making it personal, the problem is yours...not anyone else's. This may come as a shock to you, but I'm just not that into you. No one...least of all, people who have been here for years longer than you, and will probably be here for years after you...is "following you around." 

And if I was really trying to upset you, I'd just nitpick your endless grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors. That's the extent of my "trolling." I don't, because this song isn't about you.

Right, divad even posted a link since you couldn't figure it out on your own.

You apparently need to go back to "How the Market Works 101". Using raw Copper Age books on eBay as a determining factor. :roflmao:

Edited by ygogolak

Right, divad even posted a link since you couldn't figure it out on your own.

Totally. Go with that.

You apparently need to go back to "How the Market Works 101". Using raw books on eBay as a determining factor. :roflmao:

"as a determining factor"...of what? How raw books are selling on eBay? Using raw book sales on eBay to figure out how raw books are selling is quite determinative.

:popcorn:

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
Typos! The bane of man's existence!

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Most books from the mid-80s do not sell for that, if we're taking condition out of the equation.

But if you do know someone that's willing to pay even $10/book for my mid-80s books that aren't on fire, please let me know and I'll happily rid myself of them

2 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

But if you do know someone that's willing to pay even $10/book for my mid-80s books that aren't on fire, please let me know and I'll happily rid myself of them

Ok, let's get specific. What, specifically, do you mean by something being "on fire"? 

There are a lot of books from the 80s that sell for $10-$15 (or more) on a regular basis that aren't "on fire." 

Batman #428, for example. Is Batman #428 "on fire"?

X-Men #244. Is X-Men #244 "on fire"? 

Crisis On Infinite Earths #8. Is Crisis #8 "on fire"?

Miracleman #15. Is Miracleman #15 "on fire"?

Swamp Thing #37. Is Swamp Thing #37 "on fire"?

Hulk #340. Is Hulk #340 "on fire"? 

I consider something to be "on fire" when it sells for substantially more than it has in the recent past. The time factor is what is important. A book that sold for $1 or $2 on the open market 2-3 months ago that now sells for $10-$15 could be said to be "on fire." SSM #90 is not one of those books. Thor #390 would be a good example of a book that is "on fire."

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ok, let's get specific. What, specifically, do you mean by something being "on fire"? 

There are a lot of books from the 80s that sell for $10-$15 (or more) on a regular basis that aren't "on fire." 

Batman #428, for example. Is Batman #428 "on fire"?

X-Men #244. Is X-Men #244 "on fire"? 

Crisis On Infinite Earths #8. Is Crisis #8 "on fire"?

Miracleman #15. Is Miracleman #15 "on fire"?

Swamp Thing #37. Is Swamp Thing #37 "on fire"?

Hulk #340. Is Hulk #340 "on fire"? 

I consider something to be "on fire" when it sells for substantially more than it has in the recent past. The time factor is what is important. A book that sold for $1 or $2 on the open market 2-3 months ago that now sells for $10-$15 could be said to be "on fire." SSM #90 is not one of those books. Thor #390 would be a good example of a book that is "on fire."

I don't have a definition. I'm just being difficult.

10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can't argue with that. :cloud9:

See, it IS possible to beat me in an argument! :D

You did address what I saw to be the sticking point in the argument; the definition of "on fire." Not sure what you consider "substantial" but I would say that a book just has to be trading at a higher pricer and a significantly higher volume to be "on fire." I think volume is the more important indicator, because that is more indicative of demand than price, since there are a large number of variables (condition, significance of issue, print run/available copies, etc.) that factor into a price. 

I consider something to be "on fire" when it sells for substantially more than it has in the recent past. The time factor is what is important.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:35 PM, ygogolak said:

Pop quiz for the great minds on here. A book sells for $100. In less than 10 months it sells for a high of $620 and is on a 90 day average of $422 with no movie or 1st appearance hype. 

Is that hot? 

:popcorn: