Rating spec books
11 11

337 posts in this topic

11,233 posts
Posted (edited)

A little out of my comfort zone because I’ve made plenty of mistakes on small press books. One minute they can be as hot as fire and the next, as cold as ice. So keep that in mind with these comics.

The Untamed #1 Niobe She is Life #1, and Tales of Asunda #0. The reason these books are worth looking for is that HBO is developing a new series based on these books. The star is supposed to be Niobe. The show as of now will be called Asunda. 

In the last couple of decades. HBO has dominated TV in terms entertaining TV series. From Rome to the Tudors to Deadwood to Game of Thrones, they clearly are as good as it gets in the production of the highest quality TV shows. Netflix has more but HBO is the gold standard. 

These books were really hyped by some spec sites a year or two ago. I bought some just in case. Never expected the great results. When I buy in bulk, I sell until I get my money back. There are occasions where this doesn’t happen but it’s more rare than not. Being too attached to something will cost you money. So I don’t have as many as I started with on the first two series and never had any of the Asunda books.

I have 2 NM untamed and 2 NM Niobe. I believe the Asunda book is still for sale on the Stranger website for $20 each. Niobe #1 is still cheap. 

Ratings

Untamed #1

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 9 out of 10

 

Niobe She is Life #1 

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

 

Tales Of Asunda #0

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

 

 

 

4E5CA138-D4C4-4F78-A901-68BFB5BA3FBA.jpeg

C30F9D47-1C6C-4517-9A7F-E2B3A8F13537.jpeg

61B622F4-567C-4A0E-876E-FD4DB2CA1FA4.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts

Next up, Birds of Prey #8. I know that DC gets beat up by Marvel at the box office...most of the time. They do it to themselves. They’ve tried to make everyone as dark and brooding as Batman until recently. They need to do a little character building and bring in some more modern characters. That made me think of this book. There nothing overly special about it except for a great cover and, oh yeah, Nightwjng and Batgirl kiss. Why has DC waited so long to introduce some of these characters ? Why don’t they use more source material ? I mean actually stick to it. 

Anyway, I have 1 probably VF/NM copy of this book. I used to read the series and it was pretty good stuff.

Rating

raw No = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

* this will always be a big book with Bat collectors whether it happens on the screen or not. *

167F2C2B-EAE9-447A-8000-A40592A9F3E4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts

Next we have Alias #24. Only one reason this book made the list. The modern age Purple Man makes his first appearance here. Talk about scary super villains, he takes the cake. Super creepy guy who has a very abusive power. He’s already been on TV but he would be a formidable villain for nearly any Marvel hero. I hate him. Very few comic characters have ever brought out that kind of feeling while reading a comic. It’s both a testament to Bendis  who wrote him and the character himself. This book is too cheap. It isn’t overly plentiful and man could he make a hero shine. Btw, the entire series is really worth reading and we’ll talk about #1 later in the thread.

 

Rating NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

 

1B23DE35-18EB-49DE-8B15-7BDA666CE6B3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts
Posted (edited)

...and now Kingdom Come #1 and #4. The entire series is worth owning. I have the 6 most perfect sets I could find but on to the actual books. Issue #1 features. The 1st appearance of Magog, a guy powerful enough to cause Supes to retire...kind of. The #4 features one of the best, most titanic, battles you’ll ever see ina comic between Superman and Captain Marvel. Add to it that ( peak ) Alex Ross is the artist  and ( prime ) Mark Waid was the writer. I believe this will be the biggest DC movie ever made...if it ever comes to be. The heroes are actually threatened and that makes it interesting. Both of these books are less than $10 in nice shape. Ridiculous in my opinion. 

ratings 

#1

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

 

#4

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

7FED45D5-31F0-4B6A-B2C9-1AF7B925BA3B.jpeg

64F24719-7A49-4C9E-8CF8-B2ED1D0CA43C.jpegGerksAreMyPeeps suggested adding issue #2 as the 1st appearance of Red Robin so here it is. 👍

 

3BDA004E-3115-4795-B67C-A8420200E58B.jpegPlease note that this is not Tim Drake.

Edited by the authority

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,132 posts
58 minutes ago, the authority said:

...and now Kingdom Come #1 and #4. The entire series is worth owning. I have the 6 most perfect sets I could find but on to the actual books. Issue #1 features. The 1st appearance of Magog, a guy powerful enough to cause Supes to retire...kind of. The #4 features one of the best, most titanic, battles you’ll ever see ina comic between Superman and Captain Marvel. Add to it that ( peak ) Alex Ross is the artist  and ( prime ) Mark Waid was the writer. I believe this will be the biggest DC movie ever made...if it ever comes to be. The heroes are actually threatened and that makes it interesting. Both of these books are less than $10 in nice shape. Ridiculous in my opinion. 

ratings 

#1

raw NM = 7 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

 

#4

raw NM = 8 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 8 out of 10

7FED45D5-31F0-4B6A-B2C9-1AF7B925BA3B.jpeg

64F24719-7A49-4C9E-8CF8-B2ED1D0CA43C.jpeg

Might as well put #2 on the list as well. First appearance of Red Robin. I am of the opinion that the first appearance of any costumed/powered character, either hero or villain, connected to either Batman or Spider-man, is worthy of a spec play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts
6 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Might as well put #2 on the list as well. First appearance of Red Robin. I am of the opinion that the first appearance of any costumed/powered character, either hero or villain, connected to either Batman or Spider-man, is worthy of a spec play.

Added it. Thanks 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,132 posts
2 minutes ago, the authority said:

Added it. Thanks 👍

It is probably important to note that it is not Tim Drake in the identity of Red Robin. But then, so many characters have filled so many different roles in the Batman Family. Kingdom Come is Elseworlds. First Red Robin in continuity is Countdown Week 14, but again that's not Drake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,488 posts
3 hours ago, the authority said:

Next up, Birds of Prey #8. I know that DC gets beat up by Marvel at the box office...most of the time. They do it to themselves. They’ve tried to make everyone as dark and brooding as Batman until recently. They need to do a little character building and bring in some more modern characters. That made me think of this book. There nothing overly special about it except for a great cover and, oh yeah, Nightwjng and Batgirl kiss. Why has DC waited so long to introduce some of these characters ? Why don’t they use more source material ? I mean actually stick to it. 

Anyway, I have 1 probably VF/NM copy of this book. I used to read the series and it was pretty good stuff.

Rating

raw No = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

* this will always be a big book with Bat collectors whether it happens on the screen or not. *

167F2C2B-EAE9-447A-8000-A40592A9F3E4.jpeg

This is a very, very strange book. The weirdo, slightly pervy vibe to the reason why it's a standout aside, it's a book that has consistently violated the standard arc of comics "hotness." Aside from a bizarro sale last October, which I think isn't a real sale, this book has never sold for less than $100 in 9.8 (as recorded by GPA.) And yet, it's never sold for more than $350 in 9.8, either. It's just been steady for two decades now. It's no more rare, nor less, than #7 or #9, but this is the issue everyone loves. Fun fact: #7 has never, ever sold as a slab, in any grade, as reported by GPA. Funny, huh?

Very frustrating, as someone who has spent 30 years watching the peaks and valleys, scooping up books at their lows, and waiting for their inevitable highs again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts

Have a 12 hour work day so I won’t be posting much today. Have 100s more to add so stay tuned 😝 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts
8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is a very, very strange book. The weirdo, slightly pervy vibe to the reason why it's a standout aside, it's a book that has consistently violated the standard arc of comics "hotness." Aside from a bizarro sale last October, which I think isn't a real sale, this book has never sold for less than $100 in 9.8 (as recorded by GPA.) And yet, it's never sold for more than $350 in 9.8, either. It's just been steady for two decades now. It's no more rare, nor less, than #7 or #9, but this is the issue everyone loves. Fun fact: #7 has never, ever sold as a slab, in any grade, as reported by GPA. Funny, huh?

Very frustrating, as someone who has spent 30 years watching the peaks and valleys, scooping up books at their lows, and waiting for their inevitable highs again. 

Thanks for the information on the sales of the book. That’s a valuable addition to this thread. 

That is crazy with all the slabbing going on that one book has never had one. I’m sure there are others. You’d think a person might do it just to complete a run of 1 to 10 or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36,685 posts
37 minutes ago, the authority said:

Thanks for the information on the sales of the book. That’s a valuable addition to this thread. 

That is crazy with all the slabbing going on that one book has never had one. I’m sure there are others. You’d think a person might do it just to complete a run of 1 to 10 or something like that. 

I will slab a Birds of Prey 7 in October in Baltimore and sell it on eBay on October 28, just to have the GPA high book. BWAH HAH HAH HAH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,488 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the authority said:

Thanks for the information on the sales of the book. That’s a valuable addition to this thread. 

That is crazy with all the slabbing going on that one book has never had one. I’m sure there are others. You’d think a person might do it just to complete a run of 1 to 10 or something like that. 

Oh, it's been slabbed...there's a lone 9.6 on the census...but it's never been sold, at least in a venue that is recorded by GPA. There used to be a ton of books like that. Batman Adventures, for example, had essentially three books reported on GPA: #1, #7, and #12. Then, slowly but surely, slabs got sold, and GPA filled out. And yet, even to this day, no one's ever sold a #15, and there's a gap in GPA.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36,685 posts
2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oh, it's been slabbed...there's a lone 9.6 on the census...but it's never been sold, at least in a venue that is recorded by GPA. There used to be a ton of books like that. Batman Adventures, for example, had essentially three books reported on GPA: #1, #7, and #12. Then, slowly but surely, slabs got sold, and GPA filled out. And yet, even to this day, no one's ever sold a #15, and there's a gap in GPA.

Next on my list! <cue maniacal laughter>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60 posts
20 hours ago, valiantman said:

Since it's a speculation topic, that's the key aspect for newsstands.  They have the same covers as the direct edition, but different distributions. 

Fun fact, I’ve been finding some later ones did not. I know at least one of my Deadpool’s had a variant as its newsstand. I’ll see if I can dig it out. Haven’t compared them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,805 posts
7 hours ago, the authority said:
16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is a very, very strange book. The weirdo, slightly pervy vibe to the reason why it's a standout aside, it's a book that has consistently violated the standard arc of comics "hotness." Aside from a bizarro sale last October, which I think isn't a real sale, this book has never sold for less than $100 in 9.8 (as recorded by GPA.) And yet, it's never sold for more than $350 in 9.8, either. It's just been steady for two decades now. It's no more rare, nor less, than #7 or #9, but this is the issue everyone loves. Fun fact: #7 has never, ever sold as a slab, in any grade, as reported by GPA. Funny, huh?

Very frustrating, as someone who has spent 30 years watching the peaks and valleys, scooping up books at their lows, and waiting for their inevitable highs again. 

Thanks for the information on the sales of the book. That’s a valuable addition to this thread. 

That is crazy with all the slabbing going on that one book has never had one. I’m sure there are others. You’d think a person might do it just to complete a run of 1 to 10 or something like that. 

Its just a good story that many over the years have actively sought out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,968 posts
4 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:
6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oh, it's been slabbed...there's a lone 9.6 on the census...but it's never been sold, at least in a venue that is recorded by GPA. There used to be a ton of books like that. Batman Adventures, for example, had essentially three books reported on GPA: #1, #7, and #12. Then, slowly but surely, slabs got sold, and GPA filled out. And yet, even to this day, no one's ever sold a #15, and there's a gap in GPA.

Next on my list! <cue maniacal laughter>

Not a bad idea.  Two 9.8 run collectors = a big sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts
Posted (edited)

I love funny comics. I was a big fan of newspaper cartoons growing up and like that kind of humor. Comics typically are more serious so when one isn’t, it stands out. Tag and Bink are Dead #1 and #2 are hilarious books. High and lows usually occur based on the movies being in theatres...or not.

I had a bunch and I think I sold them all. 

Ratings on 

#1 

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 6 out of 10

#2 

raw NM = 5 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 5 out of 10

 

86683723-9392-478D-A686-00305C2493A2.jpeg

03358B0B-E0D6-4FA6-92CE-2E1D5BB0BB75.jpeg

Edited by the authority

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,104 posts

Just a few thoughts:

I like Batman 619 more than the rest of the storyline as it's the first appearance of Hush and can still be found for $5 and less. 

I've always hated Batman 655 as it's such a BS first appearance. 656 is so much better but doesn't have a variant which I think is the key to driving 655 as the one collector's want. I'm not sure the market correction will ever come, but I've been buying 656 on the cheap for a few years. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,233 posts

Here we have Deadpool The Circle Chase #1. It seems significant to me and also seems a reasonably priced raw between $20 and $30 for a nice copy. It sells for around $100, give or take a little, in CGC 9.8. 

It’s plentiful on eBay but what isn’t ? It’s the 1st book from the 1st Deadpool mini series. This is the rare occasion where I see the 1st regular series as a better buy than the 1st mini due to the writers but this is still a book I like to buy.

i have a CGC 9.8, a CGC  9.6, and a lot of raw books from VF to NM. I love it.

 

rating

raw NM = 6 out of 10

CGC 9.8 = 7 out of 10

0A74D90D-5B04-4387-9A93-28CE27807CA0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
11 11