Coverless, wraps or single pages in CGC holders thread
1 1

59 posts in this topic

4,226 posts

With the escalating prices of our beloved Golden Age comics, it is starting to become more common to see coverless, wraps or single pages slabbed, especially with pieces of BIG key comics. I would imagine that it's easier to sell once the item is verified as well. Having them in holders also affords the collector a peak at the interior and therefore hopefully makes posting them here fun for fellow boardies to see glimpse of interiors of books that they may not have seen before. So …. post away and share those slabbed incomplete comics. I know this thread won't be everyone's cup-of-tea, but I hope some of you enjoy it! (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226 posts

This is the only pic I have currently of the front and it's Action #15, coverless & missing the 1st page. This is starting to become an expensive book!!!

action 15 front.jpg

action 15 back.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,528 posts

The DC Comics Archive copy of Tec 27   I know of 3 publisher  Tec 27’s and they are all coverless 

70AB93F5-5AF7-4977-BAE4-14108D306C37.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226 posts
1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I posted on this elsewhere, so if this sounds familiar to anyone, there’s a good reason for that.

since I cannot open my encapsulated Cap 1, the possession of a slabbed page creates a synergistic effect that enhances the pleasure of ownership 

8EA5B5E3-32A2-49D6-8C7C-4B4866AECE91.jpeg

5CB73FFA-7B00-425F-AC4B-7F9C5EBAB579.jpeg

Excellent page!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,528 posts

Awesome x 2. !!  I used to have the same Action 1 page but it wasn’t in as nice condition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,570 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Awesome x 2. !!  I used to have the same Action 1 page but it wasn’t in as nice condition. 

I wish it was Action 1 page! Just a lame page from Superman 1. :sorry:

Edited by lhcomics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,528 posts
47 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

I wish it was Action 1 page! Just a lame page from Superman 1. :sorry:

Still cool. Missed that just assumed.  I think the Action 1 page is page 5 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226 posts

Some GREAT stuff posted!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
791 posts
8 hours ago, lhcomics said:

I have 2 pages.

807768785_Superman1pg7.thumb.jpg.a6fc65fd51af6460eead70f5e7c3fa3b.jpg

 

2113438405_Action12.thumb.jpg.6406ab464c29c7ef657a34f902398f2f.jpg

I got my Superman 1 page from lhcomics  at Heroes a couple of years ago.  I was probably in his booth for 30 minutes trying to decide between the pages he had.

 

 

superman1page (3).JPG

superman1page (1).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,145 posts
Posted (edited)

Pieces like these were undervalued for a long time and I am not sure how I feel about their values right now. 

I am not saying that the loose pages should be more or less than they are.  But I find it strange and slightly disturbing that the value of books completed by marrying parts together seems increasingly outstripped by the value of the sum of their parts sold separately.  

I have boxes of incomplete books and while I don't know everything that's in them I do recognize from time to time that something on ebay which is also incomplete would complete what I have.  But when I look at the price for the incomplete piece it is often so high that it's well above what I figure I could get if I married that piece to the incomplete book I have.  And this has been confirmed to me when I've asked people what they would pay for XYZ book with a married cf or whatever.

The Cap 1 sold recently which was cobbled together from loose bits may well have taken years, and no small bit of luck, to put together.  Not so long ago it would have been considered a rare feat and appreciated as such.

But it sold for an amount that is clearly less than the seller would have gotten if, instead of completing the book, he'd sold off the married pieces individually -- or even if he'd cut it up into still more incomplete pieces -- and sold them all separately.   

Helf, the completed Cap 1 sold for just a teensy bit less than an incomplete Cap 1 sold for just a couple months ago, which was missing massive chunks from the cover and first pages.  Is the desire for a book to be "pure" (as close as possible to its original state and not "manipulated" to be better or complete), is that desire so intense that we value an incomplete book more than a complete one, just because the completed book was made so by adding in parts from another book??

The intensity of opposition by some collectors to "married" pages has gotten out of balance with the intensity of desire for "any piece" of a key book.  

Edited by bluechip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717 posts
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bluechip said:

Pieces like these were undervalued for a long time and I am not sure how I feel about their values right now. 

I am not saying that the loose pages should be more or less than they are.  But I find it strange and slightly disturbing that the value of books completed by marrying parts together seems increasingly outstripped by the value of the sum of their parts sold separately.  

I have boxes of incomplete books and while I don't know everything that's in them I do recognize from time to time that something on ebay which is also incomplete would complete what I have.  But when I look at the price for the incomplete piece it is often so high that it's well above what I figure I could get if I married that piece to the incomplete book I have.  And this has been confirmed to me when I've asked people what they would pay for XYZ book with a married cf or whatever.

The Cap 1 sold recently which was cobbled together from loose bits may well have taken years, and no small bit of luck, to put together.  Not so long ago it would have been considered a rare feat and appreciated as such.

But it sold for an amount that is clearly less than the seller would have gotten if, instead of completing the book, he'd sold off the married pieces individually -- or even if he'd cut it up into still more incomplete pieces -- and sold them all separately.   

Helf, the completed Cap 1 sold for just a teensy bit less than an incomplete Cap 1 sold for just a couple months ago, which was missing massive chunks from the cover and first pages.  Is the desire for a book to be "pure" (as close as possible to its original state and not "manipulated" to be better or complete), is that desire so intense that we value an incomplete book more than a complete one, just because the completed book was made so by adding in parts from another book??

The intensity of opposition by some collectors to "married" pages has gotten out of balance with the intensity of desire for "any piece" of a key book.  

I watched that “cobbled together” Cap 1 sell, and thought seriously about bidding.  I agree it went low.  Although if given a choice I’d take an original book, I don’t mind “married” parts as long as they are all originals; i.e., not reprints or color reproductions.

 When I first saw the practice of pages being sold separately, I thought it was crazy.  But I have found that in the right circumstances, they can be fun to own.  I wouldn’t think there would be much enthusiasm out there for pages that aren’t from keys, but what do I know.

Having said all that, the idea of tearing books apart just to sell them by the page makes me a bit squeamish

Hey, bluechip, was that your Tec 27 page set that was recently on eBay?  I thought that was a marvelous piece of history

 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,145 posts
8 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I watched that “cobbled together” Cap 1 sell, and thought seriously about bidding.  I agree it went low.  Although if given a choice I’d take an original book, I don’t mind “married” parts as long as they are all originals; i.e., not reprints or color reproductions.

 When I first saw the practice of pages being sold separately, I thought it was crazy.  But I have found that in the right circumstances, they can be fun to own.  I wouldn’t think there would be much enthusiasm out there for pages that aren’t from keys, but what do I know.

Having said all that, the idea of tearing books apart just to sell them by the page makes me a bit squeamish

Hey, bluechip, was that your Tec 27 page set that was recently on eBay?  I thought that was a marvelous piece of history

 

I have never sold an individual page but I might consider doing so with something if it's already separated.   I have some books like that which were trimmed on all sides so the pages are already separated.  Some people did that back in the day to put them in bound volumes but a lot of people seemed to keep them as a pile of separate pages.  Like this Bat 1 pictured.   I have seen many key books trimmed like this, right to the borders, as if some kid was needing to have his favorite books fit inside a particular box.

s-l1600.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
195 posts

These are cool to see and I would appreciate owning one of these pages.  But the questions raised above are certainly worth pondering.  It is unfortunate to me to think that with the parts being worth more than the whole, we will see more rough/incomplete books cut apart and sold.  Although I can't say if I was looking at an opportunity to make thousands I wouldn't also separate one.  My question goes to the process of separating.  It would seem to me that the act of separating the individual pages apart, ie cutting a wrap in half, is itself a type of trimming.  Shouldn't this be designated as such?  Or perhaps it is simply implied, given that only a single page is being graded.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,145 posts
35 minutes ago, Illustrious said:

I used to own complete coverless copies of TEC #29 and Action #10, now the only GA coverless I have left is this:

 

2019-01-30-0002.png

Coincidentally I recall this is one of the books for which I have a front cover and never found a coverless until recently, when they've been priced much higher than I would expect to get for both the cover and the book married together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1