Marvel Comics #1 Voldy slabbed copy on Metro Question
4 4

156 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Waddaya mean? I usually post in Marvel #1 threads! I just haven't been around the GA section lately. But I missed it!

I meant to say finally a "Roy" post in "this" Marvel 1 thread (thumbsu

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

So, did it sell?

Highly doubt it as I clicked onto the link and it indicates "Book Not Found" and states that "The book that you requested could not be found in our inventory".

Not exactly sure what this means though.   (shrug)

Does anybody here remember what the grading was on this book here before it got removed from their site and was it listed for their current June Event Auction or somewhere else?  hm

Edited by lou_fine
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Highly doubt it as I clicked onto the link and it indicates "Book Not Found" and states that "The book that you requested could not be found in our inventory".

Not exactly sure what this means though.   (shrug)

Does anybody here remember what the grading was on this book here before it got removed from their site and was it listed for their current June Event Auction or somewhere else?  hm

just ripped through parts of this thread and wow, theres a lot of so called  'Volde bashing' going down. I understand that Mr. Volde is CEO of the competing company. Apart from that fact what exactly has Mr. Volde done to deserve such hathred?   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

just ripped through parts of this thread and wow, theres a lot of so called  'Volde bashing' going down. I understand that Mr. Volde is CEO of the competing company. Apart from that fact what exactly has Mr. Volde done to deserve such hathred?   

Well, that's the nature of the beast and the mentality of the CGC acolytes here.

Yes, I can definitely remember when they were almost perceived like comic Gods when they worked with the host company here and their names spoken with reverence on these very boards.  Yet, when they moved across the street, it was almost like they couldn't grade if their life depended upon it from most of the comments on the boards here.  :screwy:

Go figure that.  hm  (shrug)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, VintageComics said:
On 5/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So I'll risk being the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who asks, but what color label do books removed from bound volumes normally get?  Are they always labeled as "restored"?   It would seem like it should be that way.

They get a blue label unless something else has been done to the book.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Further question.  If Jacquet "hand cut" the cover, maybe that doesn't count as a trim job, if he was doing so at the same time he was binding it into this volume.

The problem is that we are trying to box all books into clear cut designations like 'trimmed' or 'restored' or whatever.

But there are 'one off' type books that fall between the cracks and in those cases, those books are treated by certification companies on a 'case by case' basis.

The Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0 Pay copy is a perfect example. How do you grade it when it has writing all over the book? They treated it as a one off because of it's special characteristics.

And so in a case where a book was assembled by a publisher - it's going to be a judgement call on how it's handled, depending on the circumstances and provenance of the book.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

But if this book is truly an office copy, do we even care?  Is the historical significance of the book enough to overcome all else?

Provenance would trump everything else for me.

Roy;

I am not sure if CGC or the other grading company would treat books like these as "one-off's" or not.  (shrug)

I remember picking up a bound volume (actually unbound since it was no longer bound to the hardcover) of Harry Wildenberg's copies of Famous Funnies #1 - #5 way back in the day.  Doubt they would be worth very much since books in those days were trimmed in order to fit the hardcovers and nobody in this CGC generation of collectors would even know who Harry Wildenberg was and his importance to the creation of the modern comic book as we know it so well today.  :frown:

Of course, the absence of any super-heroes wearing their undies outside their pants lol and the current lack of interest in the historical strip reprint comic books certainly doesn't help matters at all in terms of valuations.  :cry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I am not sure if CGC or the other grading company would treat books like these as "one-off's" or not.  (shrug)

There is already a precedent for other "one-off" type books.

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

 Doubt they would be worth very much since books in those days were trimmed in order to fit the hardcovers

Not all bound books are trimmed. You'd have to look at each book on a case by case basis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

 Doubt they would be worth very much since books in those days were trimmed in order to fit the hardcovers

Not all bound books are trimmed. You'd have to look at each book on a case by case basis.

Yes, wouldn't it have been a lot simpler or at least a lot wiser from a preservation point of view to look for a hardcover binder that would fit the actual comic books themselves, instead of the the other way around?  hm  :screwy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, wouldn't it have been a lot simpler or at least a lot wiser from a preservation point of view to look for a hardcover binder that would fit the actual comic books themselves, instead of the the other way around?  hm  :screwy:

It also would have been much better if moms didn't throw kids junk out.

Of if kids didn't roll up comics in their back pockets and use cards for bicycle spokes.

Damn humans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, VintageComics said:

There is already a precedent for other "one-off" type books.

Not all bound books are trimmed. You'd have to look at each book on a case by case basis.

Establishing the "one-off" qualities of a book, when those qualities have been duly proven, is one of the most useful things a verification company can do.   By doing so CGC earns the name of not just a grading company but a certification company.   "Certification" implies much more to me than an assessment of the structural integrity of a book.  It also implies that it's real and that anything which is significant (and provable) will be noted, whether it means something to all potential collectors, or a smaller number of them. 

The intensity of some collectors can make doing that difficult, as some will insist on using criteria that reflects their views but doesn't necessarily make sense to others.  Hence we get bound volumes being called "restored" because they are trimmed, not because they are actually restored by any dictionary definition of the word but because some people trim books to make corners sharper and most people hate that, with some hating it so much they'll abide the complete misuse of the term "restored" to include books trimmed for any reason.   And, hence, we get people railing against the certification of "one-offs" like the estate/office hand-bound copy of Marvel 1, even when they don't question the essential facts being included on the label.   It is the job of "certification" to look beyond the extreme views and say what they know a thing is, or isn't, allowing collectors to decide on their own whether they like it, but not allowing them to dictate that labels should tell others what should be liked and what shouldn't.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Establishing the "one-off" qualities of a book, when those qualities have been duly proven, is one of the most useful things a verification company can do.   By doing so CGC earns the name of not just a grading company but a certification company.   "Certification" implies much more to me than an assessment of the structural integrity of a book.  It also implies that it's real and that anything which is significant (and provable) will be noted, whether it means something to all potential collectors, or a smaller number of them. 

The intensity of some collectors can make doing that difficult, as some will insist on using criteria that reflects their views but doesn't necessarily make sense to others.  Hence we get bound volumes being called "restored" because they are trimmed, not because they are actually restored by any dictionary definition of the word but because some people trim books to make corners sharper and most people hate that, with some hating it so much they'll abide the complete misuse of the term "restored" to include books trimmed for any reason.   And, hence, we get people railing against the certification of "one-offs" like the estate/office hand-bound copy of Marvel 1, even when they don't question the essential facts being included on the label.   It is the job of "certification" to look beyond the extreme views and say what they know a thing is, or isn't, allowing collectors to decide on their own whether they like it, but not allowing them to dictate that labels should tell others what should be liked and what shouldn't.

 

 

Very well worded.

Now duck while people start hurdling their views at you and explaining why you should like it.... :devil:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluechip said:

Establishing the "one-off" qualities of a book, when those qualities have been duly proven, is one of the most useful things a verification company can do.   By doing so CGC earns the name of not just a grading company but a certification company.   "Certification" implies much more to me than an assessment of the structural integrity of a book.  It also implies that it's real and that anything which is significant (and provable) will be noted, whether it means something to all potential collectors, or a smaller number of them. 

The intensity of some collectors can make doing that difficult, as some will insist on using criteria that reflects their views but doesn't necessarily make sense to others.  Hence we get bound volumes being called "restored" because they are trimmed, not because they are actually restored by any dictionary definition of the word but because some people trim books to make corners sharper and most people hate that, with some hating it so much they'll abide the complete misuse of the term "restored" to include books trimmed for any reason.   And, hence, we get people railing against the certification of "one-offs" like the estate/office hand-bound copy of Marvel 1, even when they don't question the essential facts being included on the label.   It is the job of "certification" to look beyond the extreme views and say what they know a thing is, or isn't, allowing collectors to decide on their own whether they like it, but not allowing them to dictate that labels should tell others what should be liked and what shouldn't.

 

 

I'd agree, but would add that there are two companies which stand behind certification, one certifies "guaranty"  which comes across as "we guarantee that the certification is certified", the other is a comic book certification service which seems like a straight forward way of saying this is what we do as a business.  I'm pretty sure that neither would find fault with your premise.

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Very well worded.

Now duck while people start hurdling their views at you and explaining why you should like it.... :devil:

Which views are folks trying to jump.  :baiting:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I'd agree, but would add that there are two companies which stand behind certification, one certifies "guaranty"  which comes across as "we guarantee that the certification is certified", the other is a comic book certification service which seems like a straight forward way of saying this is what we do as a business.  I'm pretty sure that neither would find fault with your premise.

Which views are folks trying to jump.  :baiting:

iPhone spellcheck correcting words sucks..,:nyah:

That should have been hurtling viewpoints with the poster hurdling over them...:wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4