American Flagg #1 cover at HA.

146 posts in this topic

4,249 posts
4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Funny you mention the degree stuff. We have a college rental and the current tenants are moving out since they just graduated. Cost to parents is about $200k total for the four years of school. It was rented by 3 girls. One I don’t know what she is doing but the other two plans are:

girl 1 travel to India for one year studying yoga. She just felt a need to going back after a prior trip to become more spiritual. When she comes back she will attend an herbalist school in Colorado

girl 2 is going to work on a coop farm in  Canada. She will get room and board but hopes to also get paid some money. 

These girls are definitely not positioned to join the next generation of dedicated collectors hoarders.

Unless they stand to gain an exceptional inheritance.

12,815 posts
15 minutes ago, vodou said:

These girls are definitely not positioned to join the next generation of dedicated collectors hoarders.

Unless they stand to gain an exceptional inheritance.

They are quite nice but I think they have always lived off their parents and plan to largely continue for the foreseeable future. I guess if your parents are willing to do it, enjoy?  I know my generation was pushed out of the nest after high school unless you went to college in which case you might get a pass till you finished your undergrad degree. 

4,249 posts
1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

They are quite nice but I think they have always lived off their parents and plan to largely continue for the foreseeable future. I guess if your parents are willing to do it, enjoy?  I know my generation was pushed out of the nest after high school unless you went to college in which case you might get a pass till you finished your undergrad degree. 

A few of us having been talking pendlum swings of late, this is another one...humongo houses for when families used to be two parents and 6-10 kids. And maybe one or two grandparents in there too. Then families got smaller, and wealthier, and everybody had their own littler house. So the humongo got partitioned into multi-family rentals. Pendulum swinging back as everybody is living under the same roof longer, maybe forever again!

1,838 posts
On 5/21/2019 at 4:31 PM, Bronty said:

Okay.   But to the extent that's true, Hollywood will not limit itself to comic material.    It will use anything and everything it can to make a buck.    It may be that the best movie related spec of the future will relate to something other than comics.    Anything you can think of with a large built in audience will be grist for the mill.    Comics do make for a nice transition since the comic almost acts as a storyboard, but ultimately, its anything and everything with audience.

They keep trying it by adapting video games. Eventually it will pay off. 

1,838 posts
19 hours ago, malvin said:

Yes, but with so many potential comic TV and movies coming down the pipe, even if you believe that OA will get a bump when that happens (and I think most people will agree that it won't happen with all comic properties, only a select few) if there are so many comic TV and movies, the impact to OA pricing will be minimal (or none) 

Regards,

Malvin

It’s not “will be,” it “is.” 

24,932 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

They keep trying it by adapting video games. Eventually it will pay off. 

Yeah.   Detective Pikachu is a step in that direction, but that will happen for real in 2022 when the Super Mario Bros movie comes out.    The Illumination people are handing it so if I was betting on something to be a slam dunk, that would be it.    From there I imagine we will get a good 10-20 years of nintendo related movies, sequels, and spin offs.    Mario, Link/Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, sequels to all of them, blah blah blah.    There's a whole universe of characters there, not dissimilar to marvel, and they've been around so long in so many games that there is a pretty decent amount of plot lines to work with, and obvious villains like Wario and Bowser and Mother Brain to work with too.    That isn't always the case for something like Angry Birds (how they made an enjoyable movie out of that!... kudos to them!).   The potential is there for that to turn into something that mimics the experience that marvel has had at the movies.

Edited by Bronty