Rarity base on CGC graded stats
0

12 posts in this topic

8 posts

Vault of Fear # 39 graded at 4.5.  57 graded copies exist.... How rare is the issue?  Does not appear to be that rare to me based on those numbers. Thought on your criteria for establishing rarity.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,995 posts
Posted (edited)

I'm guessing you're asking about VoH 39 since there is no Vault of Fear and Haunt of Fear only went to 28 issues.

VoH 39 isn't rare.  It is tougher in grade because of its dark cover.    It's one of the better covers in the run but hasn't quite broken out compared to other classic bondage covers.  It's certainly due.    

Edited by Tsp99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 posts

Oops yes meant Vault of Horror. Curious about GPA stats on graded issues in total when looking up a particular issue from pre code issues. How does number of graded issues impact rarity? Or more precisely, issues graded higher than a particular grade. Say 4.5 has 30 issue graded higher, but only 60 graded issues are known? Trying to get a handle on it. Despite keys as such just curious the number stats.  Thank for your earlier reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,738 posts
1 hour ago, Dr. Cyclops said:

Oops yes meant Vault of Horror. Curious about GPA stats on graded issues in total when looking up a particular issue from pre code issues. How does number of graded issues impact rarity? Or more precisely, issues graded higher than a particular grade. Say 4.5 has 30 issue graded higher, but only 60 graded issues are known? Trying to get a handle on it. Despite keys as such just curious the number stats.  Thank for your earlier reply.

I believe you have asked this question in the wrong section, this is a WTB thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,433 posts
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dr. Cyclops said:

Thought on your criteria for establishing rarity.

All I do is look at my hands.  lol

If there's more than a handful in total on the CGC population census report, than it's not considered to be rare.  If there's more than two handfuls in total on the census, then it's not considered to be even scarce in my book.  hm

Of course, that's my own personal criteria for determining if a book is rare or even scarce.  I am sure that everybody would have their own threshold levels though.  (thumbsu

On the other hand, a low census count could simply mean that collectors perceive no demand for a particular book and hence this could be the reason why nobody bothers to slab them.  :insane:

Edited by lou_fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52,213 posts
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

On the other hand, a low census count could simply mean that collectors perceive no demand for a particular book and hence this could be the reason why nobody bothers to slab them

This. Just because the census numbers are low on a particular book that doesn't necessarily mean that the comic is rare/scarce. I have a couple CGC slabbed bronze DC war and horror comics. The census numbers for those books are low but there are many mnay copies available. If you want to talk about rare/scarce in grade that's a different discussion. 

One way that I get a handle on rarity is to track stuff on ebay. Certain comics just don't show up very often for sale on ebay and that's telling to me. It's not the be all and end all of determining rarity. No one source is, not the CGC census, not Overstreet, etc, but at the very least, it's a starting point.

Edited by Jeffro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,588 posts

There's only 2 CGC-graded copies of Action Comics #666.

That doesn't make the issue, itself, rare. Just the amount of CGC copies are rare.

There isn't a method of determining print runs that I am aware of. There are sales records, but they don't always paint the whole picture. Copies are destroyed, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,324 posts

So the lack of grading at CGC doesn't effect the comics value?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,588 posts
42 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So the lack of grading at CGC doesn't effect the comics value?

It never should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,324 posts
1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

It never should.

Good. Because that would be pointless...just because all the raw copies of a particular comic arent graded,should in now way affect its value

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,433 posts
16 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So the lack of grading at CGC doesn't effect the comics value?

No,it's the exact opposite.

The lack of value for a particular comic will definitely affect how many gets graded (or not graded) at CGC.  hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,324 posts
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

No,it's the exact opposite.

The lack of value for a particular comic will definitely affect how many gets graded (or not graded) at CGC.  hm

Okay,thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0