• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Go Collect VS GPA
1 1

7 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Are they equal?  I have GPA but I was talking with another boardie who seems to like Go Collect more.  Is overkill to have both?

If you want to (and can) pay for both and average the two, then I would say it is completely your call.  I recently subbed to GPA and like it thus far.  Not looked into Go Collect, guess I will go look into that now too.

I subscribe to both.

The main advantage of gocollect is that they show where every sale occurred (so you can see if it was an auction on ComicConnect vs. buy it now on ebay, or if there was some oddity with the listing that caused it to be a low ball sale). GPA just shows prices without saying where they occurred (and you have to trust them to be accurate). I also think it easier to find variant comics on gocollect.

The main advantage of GPA is that they tend to have better data for sales that happened a long time ago.

Gocollect also has a feature where you can create a list of your comics, enter purchase price, upload front and back pictures and other data. You can also enter the CGC serial number and it will automatically link to the CGC registry data. You can also run a value report where it tells you the current fair market value of all your comics compared to the total purchase prices. Not sure if GPA does that.

I recently did one month of Go Collect, and have now started one month of GPAnalysis.  The big advantage with Go Collect is that it links to pictures of the actual books sold, so you can see the books.  Additionally there are multiple investment speculation articles published per day, the interface lets you link your collection (including pics) to the site, you can see a graphical representation of books by grade, its just a much better presentation.  The GPAnalysis does some of the same thing but not in a visual pleasing way.  Plus the graphs are locked in the the last 17 years of data or so, which means you see a consistent slow growth and then shoot up when movies came out.  You can't set the dates to have the graph represent a specific time frame on GPAnalysis.  Also GPAnalysis is finicky on the search engine.  If you don't put the exact title in, it returns 0 results.  Also its a two step process, first you have to enter the title, then search the issue number.  With Go Collect you just type Avengers 1, and boom you have what you're looking for.  Also Go Collect offers hot issues by Golden, Silver, Bronze, ranks them every month by sales volume.  GPAnalsys doesn't do this.  It's night and day for me, GO Collect is much better.  And it's half the cost.

Someone mentioned that Go Collect actually manual inputs data from Comic Link. I looked into it and don see it based on some sales I followed...  Is that BS? If it's true I might consider Go Collect over GPA but at this point I don't think it is.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:08 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Someone mentioned that Go Collect actually manual inputs data from Comic Link. I looked into it and don see it based on some sales I followed...  Is that BS? If it's true I might consider Go Collect over GPA but at this point I don't think it is.

I work in tech on this kind of stuff -  these sites actually “scrape” - meaning that they have software that just reads the pages of each major auction sites and pulls down comic sold, graded, value sold at and plumps it into a database and averages out a price for us. 

GoCollect & GPA might have to do some manual work to massage the data but the problem I see with them is they’re slow (GoCollect is).  I buy comics and have noticed it’s taken well over a month to register the sale on GoCollect.  GPA seems to be faster.

I like GoCollect’s interface and price but love the fact that GPA has 17yrs of data.  I noticed recently on heritage - they link to GPA data and you can view the historical price there.  

They’re both good options -