Shipping costs for CGC
1 1

28 posts in this topic

618 posts
Posted (edited)

Hello, I just finished packing two books to ship off to CGC. However, when I saw that the shipping costs would be $60 per book ($120 total), I became very confused as to why it is so much. I am shipping from Canada. The books that I am shipping are both listed as modern comics (1975 - current). One book is being pressed. If anyone could explain why the shipping is $120, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.  

Edit* The shipping method that comes up when I fill the submission form is FedEx International ground shipping. 

Edited by Spawn1709
More information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,734 posts
2 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Hello, I just finished packing two books to ship off to CGC. However, when I saw that the shipping costs would be $60 per book ($120 total), I became very confused as to why it is so much. I am shipping from Canada. The books that I am shipping are both listed as modern comics (1975 - current). One book is being pressed. If anyone could explain why the shipping is $120, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.  

Edit* The shipping method that comes up when I fill the submission form is FedEx International ground shipping. 

One thing I can point out is you have two books but only one will be pressed. They will probably be shipped back seperately. When having such a small volume it's best to have them processed the same.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
15 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

$120 for both ways?

No. Just return. It's on the submission form I have to fill out. $60 per book for return shipping. They also don't give me any other options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
47 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

One thing I can point out is you have two books but only one will be pressed. They will probably be shipped back seperately. When having such a small volume it's best to have them processed the same.   

Do you think I should email CGC and try to figure this out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,284 posts
3 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

I am shipping from Canada.

This is why it's so expensive. :sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,734 posts
1 hour ago, Spawn1709 said:

Do you think I should email CGC and try to figure this out? 

I think there will be two different shipments back because you aubmitted one for pressing. The book being pressed will take a lot longer and CGC does not hold onto the books once finished. By pressing only one book of the two cost you double the shipping. You can call CGC but unless you change the submittal this is just the way it works. Books only ship together when processed together. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
38 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think there will be two different shipments back because you aubmitted one for pressing. The book being pressed will take a lot longer and CGC does not hold onto the books once finished. By pressing only one book of the two cost you double the shipping. You can call CGC but unless you change the submittal this is just the way it works. Books only ship together when processed together. Sorry.

So if I submit one, will it be cheaper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
1 hour ago, newshane said:

This is why it's so expensive. :sorry:

When I submitted through my LCS it wasn't even close to as expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
42 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think there will be two different shipments back because you aubmitted one for pressing. The book being pressed will take a lot longer and CGC does not hold onto the books once finished. By pressing only one book of the two cost you double the shipping. You can call CGC but unless you change the submittal this is just the way it works. Books only ship together when processed together. Sorry.

So I just checked out to see how much it's going to cost for only one. It's still $60... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 posts
55 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

When I submitted through my LCS it wasn't even close to as expensive.  

Greetings...when you submitted with your local comic store, they probably divided up the shipping since they ship many books at the same time and everyone with books in the mix pays a portion of the shipping and handling charges (at least that is how they do it at my local comic book store.)

Hope all works out the best for you!

 

DJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
1 hour ago, Donald Jack said:

Greetings...when you submitted with your local comic store, they probably divided up the shipping since they ship many books at the same time and everyone with books in the mix pays a portion of the shipping and handling charges (at least that is how they do it at my local comic book store.)

Hope all works out the best for you!

 

DJ

So then do I have to pay the $120 if I want my books graded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
91 posts
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

So then do I have to pay the $120 if I want my books graded?

I would think so, I don’t know your exact location, but since you would be having one graded, that would take longer, and be a shipped separately from the other comic. 

I wonder if there is some sort of customs thing that adds to the expense. It usually makes it worthwhile to ship multiple comics at once, to get the most bang for your buck with shipments. At least, that is what I have found for me. 

I did run into an issue where my computer pre filled the form, but put the state (Georgia), in the country slot. I couldn’t figure out why the shipping was astronomical, I reached out to CGC (they are very good at getting back to you), and they informed me of the error that I had made. So basically I had it set to send the package to the country of Georgia instead of the state. 

You can check for errors like that, but being in the states, it’s hard for me to know if that is an accurate amount. If you have any doubt, then reach out. That way you would make 100% sure that everything is accurate. To make the reply more effective, I would include your location (shipping information), and the raws you were planning to submit and which tiers you were trying to select (include that you wanted to press one, and that tier as well).

Also, so everyone knows, that the last few shipments I’ve sent through USPS have never shown “Delivered” in the tracking information. They still show in transit, which led to a lot of worry until they showed up in my submissions. 

Edit:

Sorry for the story, didn’t see that you weren’t a newer member, was just trying to help. My apologies, wasn’t trying to be condescending or anything. 

Edited by jfree580

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,668 posts
13 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

No. Just return. It's on the submission form I have to fill out. $60 per book for return shipping. They also don't give me any other options. 

If you live near Canada/USA border, you can find the PO Box at USPS Post Office. It's much cheaper to ship the books but you will pay the PO box rental (the smaller one) about $20 for 6 months. The price can be varied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,734 posts
10 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

So then do I have to pay the $120 if I want my books graded?

I'm not getting the impression that you understand the problem. You submitted two books. However, you signed up to get only one pressed, that's the problem. The books will be shipped seperately. The problem, or lesson to learn here, is submit books together, to be graded at the same time and shipped at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
11 hours ago, jfree580 said:

I would think so, I don’t know your exact location, but since you would be having one graded, that would take longer, and be a shipped separately from the other comic. 

I wonder if there is some sort of customs thing that adds to the expense. It usually makes it worthwhile to ship multiple comics at once, to get the most bang for your buck with shipments. At least, that is what I have found for me. 

I did run into an issue where my computer pre filled the form, but put the state (Georgia), in the country slot. I couldn’t figure out why the shipping was astronomical, I reached out to CGC (they are very good at getting back to you), and they informed me of the error that I had made. So basically I had it set to send the package to the country of Georgia instead of the state. 

You can check for errors like that, but being in the states, it’s hard for me to know if that is an accurate amount. If you have any doubt, then reach out. That way you would make 100% sure that everything is accurate. To make the reply more effective, I would include your location (shipping information), and the raws you were planning to submit and which tiers you were trying to select (include that you wanted to press one, and that tier as well).

Also, so everyone knows, that the last few shipments I’ve sent through USPS have never shown “Delivered” in the tracking information. They still show in transit, which led to a lot of worry until they showed up in my submissions. 

Edit:

Sorry for the story, didn’t see that you weren’t a newer member, was just trying to help. My apologies, wasn’t trying to be condescending or anything. 

No worries. I actually am a new member in the sense that I have never submitted a book myself. I have always done it through my lcs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618 posts
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm not getting the impression that you understand the problem. You submitted two books. However, you signed up to get only one pressed, that's the problem. The books will be shipped seperately. The problem, or lesson to learn here, is submit books together, to be graded at the same time and shipped at the same time.

But I tried to submit only one book (the book getting pressed) and the shipping cost was still $60. Is it because it's going to CCS and then to CGC that the shipping cost is so much? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,668 posts
8 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

No worries. I actually am a new member in the sense that I have never submitted a book myself. I have always done it through my lcs. 

Have you tried Canada Post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,668 posts
7 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

But I tried to submit only one book (the book getting pressed) and the shipping cost was still $60. Is it because it's going to CCS and then to CGC that the shipping cost is so much? 

No, it doesn't add anything at that point.  It's much cheaper if you submit more books once except adding the value that will increase the insurance cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,734 posts
16 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

But I tried to submit only one book (the book getting pressed) and the shipping cost was still $60. Is it because it's going to CCS and then to CGC that the shipping cost is so much? 

The cost of shipping either one or two comics together is probably about the same. The second book does not add much to the cost as long as they are shipped together. In your situation, you chose one to be pressed, resulting in two seperate shipments. In general, you cannot ask CGC to hold on to the first book waiting for the other book to be pressed. Technically they are paying insurance on all books in house. This is why they ship it out when ready. You can ask CGC, say this is you first shipment and was not aware of such details. Trust me, from experience, this will not be the only newbie mistake you will make. In general, it is much cheaper to ship multiple copies together. Add some volume. One book at a time is killer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1