Spawn 300
0

36 posts in this topic

216 posts

Could there have been a more predictable cover? And you're just going to re-use art from issue 227?  I would be fine with this as a variant, but it is boring as the main cover. I'm sure there will be a lot of spec buys but I'll be passing on this issue. 

spawn300-parody-mcfarlane-cover-1171719.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,319 posts

For reference. Looks like he went for less detail on 300. Honestly I wasn’t all that jazzed about the covers for issue 250. Kinda sucks cause I like Sean Murphy’s work, but I thought his cover for 250 kind of lacked. Looks like 300 gonna be more of the same. 

E3610B4D-CF7B-4A17-81B0-BB6F64AB9D40.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228 posts
11 hours ago, SBRobin said:

Could there have been a more predictable cover? And you're just going to re-use art from issue 227?  I would be fine with this as a variant, but it is boring as the main cover. I'm sure there will be a lot of spec buys but I'll be passing on this issue. 

spawn300-parody-mcfarlane-cover-1171719.jpeg

$7.99 cover? Hope there aren't a thousand variants. Anybody know how many pages the issue is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
185 posts

At Todd's #300 announcement, he said only artists that would be doing interior pages would do variant covers.  So hopefully the number of variants isn't too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,283 posts

Will there be a newsstand edition of this cover? :foryou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216 posts

Someone who watched the actual full Instagram video said that this is only a variant cover and they would be releasing the full cover later on? Can anyone confirm/ I love Todd but I can't sit through 30 minutes of hearing him talk about how historic this issue is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36,982 posts

How many other non-Big Two books have hit 300 issues? Cerebus, Four Color, any others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,319 posts

Looks like JSC will have a cover. 

AA273A14-4E4E-484B-B106-D014F7CCEC23.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,944 posts
48 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

Someone who watched the actual full Instagram video said that this is only a variant cover and they would be releasing the full cover later on? Can anyone confirm/ I love Todd but I can't sit through 30 minutes of hearing him talk about how historic this issue is. 

Anybody who is doing interiors can do a cover variant(s). Right now it's just the 5 artists mentioned. He said he doesn't want 60 variants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216 posts
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

How many other non-Big Two books have hit 300 issues? Cerebus, Four Color, any others?

According to McFarlane, this is only the second independent title to hit 300. 301 will then surpass Cerebus and then be the first to hit 301. 

 

Sorry, I quoted Todd incorrectly. He has said that 301 will be the "longest running, creator-owned comic book" as @ygogolak mentioned. 

Edited by SBRobin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36,982 posts
Just now, SBRobin said:

According to McFarlane, this is only the second independent title to hit 300. 301 will then surpass Cerebus and then be the first to hit 301. 

Well, he's definitely wrong in that Four Color had about 1300 issues. Are there any others? 

Duh. Archie books.:facepalm: to myself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,283 posts
27 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
28 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

According to McFarlane, this is only the second independent title to hit 300. 301 will then surpass Cerebus and then be the first to hit 301. 

Well, he's definitely wrong in that Four Color had about 1300 issues. Are there any others? 

Duh. Archie books.:facepalm: to myself.

Mad Magazine, March of Comics, Walt Disney's Comics & Stories

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,944 posts
2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

According to McFarlane, this is only the second independent title to hit 300. 301 will then surpass Cerebus and then be the first to hit 301. 

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Well, he's definitely wrong in that Four Color had about 1300 issues. Are there any others? 

Duh. Archie books.:facepalm: to myself.

 

Second creator owned is what he said.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,419 posts

Thought it was pretty dumb when they did it for 227. 

REALLY hoped they wouldn't for 300.  

$8, that's a costly book. 

Patrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,275 posts

Two things:

1.  A potential J. Scott Campbell Spawn cover...interesting (it's always hit or miss when he draws a non-female)

2.  Anybody want to make a bet about the 301 cover (he wouldn't dare...would he?)

3.  I like the idea of cover art only from artists who work on the book

4.  There's gonna be a super rare variant...it's a milestone Spawn book...there's gonna be a super rare variant

 

***Definitely picking up a copy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,944 posts
6 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Two things:

1.  A potential J. Scott Campbell Spawn cover...interesting (it's always hit or miss when he draws a non-female)

2.  Anybody want to make a bet about the 301 cover (he wouldn't dare...would he?)

3.  I like the idea of cover art only from artists who work on the book

4.  There's gonna be a super rare variant...it's a milestone Spawn book...there's gonna be a super rare variant

 

***Definitely picking up a copy

Image for 301 was already released. And yes, he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
216 posts
4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Image for 301 was already released. And yes, he did.

I can't wait until Spawn 306 when we get an #inception homage of an homage. 

You have some really awesome covers leading up to this, like 292 and 295, and then we get 4 homage covers in a row? There's something ironic about a creator proclaiming how great it is to be independent and then pulling 4 covers in three months from Marvel. 5 if you include his February Infinity Gauntlet homage on Spawn Kills Everyone Too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,944 posts
10 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

I can't wait until Spawn 306 when we get an #inception homage of an homage. 

You have some really awesome covers leading up to this, like 292 and 295, and then we get 4 homage covers in a row? There's something ironic about a creator proclaiming how great it is to be independent and then pulling 4 covers in three months from Marvel. 5 if you include his February Infinity Gauntlet homage on Spawn Kills Everyone Too.

I haven't seen anyone say that maybe this is a FU to Marvel. Especially considering they did a "remastered" variant of his work recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0