Previews vs. First Appearance - Introducing RULE 31.
2 2

97 posts in this topic

3,702 posts
3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Cue the Billy Madison quote...

Okay...this is totally off topic ValiantMan is on to something here that could be the standard in premier evaluations,as long as his formula is concrete or becomes concrete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Okay...this is totally off topic ValiantMan is on to something here that could be the standard in premier evaluations,as long as his formula is concrete or becomes concrete.

Nothing is concrete. Everything is subjective.

Edited by TwoPiece

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,283 posts
2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Nothing is concrete. Everything is subjective.

Are you sure? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
Just now, TwoPiece said:

Nothing is concrete. Everything is subjective.

That's my entire stance,I get it,most things are subjective when it comes to pricing.

But dont you feel for that little boy who takes his Spawn 1 in because he wants to trade it for Spiderman 1 polybagged and the seller spins him a web and the kid ends up getting taken advantage of?

I mean if there was concrete formulas, a small variance when it comes to overall pricing,our hobby would be a better place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

That's my entire stance,I get it,most things are subjective when it comes to pricing.

But dont you feel for that little boy who takes his Spawn 1 in because he wants to trade it for Spiderman 1 polybagged and the seller spins him a web and the kid ends up getting taken advantage of?

I mean if there was concrete formulas, a small variance when it comes to overall pricing,our hobby would be a better place?

Nope. If someone can sell snake oil as medicine - all the power to him. Survival of the fittest, and all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Nope. If someone can sell snake oil as medicine - all the power to him. Survival of the fittest, and all...

Serious?...your talking Darwinism?

Do you know most of these philosophers of old,trying to make sense of our purpose,and there stance against the belief in God,have in someway faced overwhelming tragic adversity and that's why they surmised the opinions that they have.

For instance Darwin,before he journeyed off to those archipelagos in search of truth had to overcome the death of his young daughter.

No way would he turn to God and beg him to heal those wounds,rather he became what he is,The Grandfather of question. I would say Atheism,but he is not,we can give that title to Freidrich Nietzsche. And that's how the theory of evolution came about,and this so called survival of the fittest.

We dont have to live like that,we can be compassionate and understanding,we just have to pay attention to our conscience.

The dealer who rips off young kids is no different than the guys on Ebay selling fake IH 181

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Serious?...your talking Darwinism?

Do you know most of these philosophers of old,trying to make sense of our purpose,and there stance against the belief in God,have in someway faced overwhelming tragic adversity and that's why they surmised the opinions that they have.

For instance Darwin,before he journeyed off to those archipelagos in search of truth had to overcome the death of his young daughter.

No way would he turn to God and beg him to heal those wounds,rather he became what he is,The Grandfather of question. I would say Atheism,but he is not,we can give that title to Freidrich Nietzsche. And that's how the theory of evolution came about,and this do called survival of the fittest.

We dont have to live like that,we can be compassionate and understanding,we just have to pay attention to our conscience.

The dealer who rips off young kids is no different than the guys on Ebay selling fake IH 181

I'm not going to discuss Bible-thumping on this forum (or in general).

Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - well, if you don't know the saying, you will.

People need to learn. I'm fine with continually taking advantage of those that don't. I'm opposed to Idiocracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

^ Case in point why CGC is a valuable service and why their products fetch a premium.

Of course their products fetch a premium,collectors want the best product.

How come you want a 9.8 Ironman instead of a 9.0?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Of course their products fetch a premium,collectors want the best product.

How come you want a 9.8 Ironman instead of a 9.0?

That's not what I was alluding to. I was expounding on your position of protecting the meek.

Iron Man is two words. And I want better condition + more rarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's not what I was alluding to. I was expounding on your position of protecting the meek.

Iron Man is two words. And I want better condition + more rarity.

But you already admitted you dont collect for value,what your saying here sounds like you are collecting for value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

But you already admitted you dont collect for value,what your saying here sounds like you are collecting for value.

Then you're inferring something that isn't typed and isn't implied. I suggest you don't do that as it's completely illogical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
Just now, TwoPiece said:

Then you're inferring something that isn't typed and isn't implied. I suggest you don't do that as it's completely illogical.

But what I'm saying is you can have the same copy at 9.0 for considerably less than you would pay at 9.8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

But what I'm saying is you can have the same copy at 9.0 for considerably less than you would pay at 9.8.

It's not the same copy.

9.8 is better condition and more rare. Those aspects appeal to me. "Value" does nothing for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229 posts
1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Okay...this is totally off topic ValiantMan is on to something here that could be the standard in premier evaluations,as long as his formula is concrete or becomes concrete.

I don't think so. The formula is cool and all. But keep in mind the formula didn't determine prices of the books, the prices of the books determined the formula. There are very few concrete formulas in economics and, although very cool and interesting, I can assure you this is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,702 posts
9 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

I don't think so. The formula is cool and all. But keep in mind the formula didn't determine prices of the books, the prices of the books determined the formula. There are very few concrete formulas in economics and, although very cool and interesting, I can assure you this is not.

Interesting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,283 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I don't think so. The formula is cool and all. But keep in mind the formula didn't determine prices of the books, the prices of the books determined the formula. There are very few concrete formulas in economics and, although very cool and interesting, I can assure you this is not.

Agreed, there won't ever be any concrete formulas that are 100% accurate for the hobby of collecting "funny books", however, there are almost 20 years of CGC sales data and more than 4,000,000 slabs on the CGC census. It's definitely time to look at what data is available now compared to the pre-internet, pre-CGC, pre-Ebay days of annual paper price guides giving us a few retailer opinions primarily driven by retailer's continuous need to provide for their families and an author's desire to put out a price guide each year with flat multipliers across all titles regardless of reality.

We don't have a "rule" that CGC 9.8 modern is always twice the price of CGC 9.6 modern, but it's true often.  What makes it untrue?  When CGC 9.8 is significantly harder to find than CGC 9.6, then the price can be more than double for 9.8. How do we know those things? Actual sales and the CGC census.

We've established lots of "norms" in this hobby, many of them from "gut feeling", but you could still run calculations on the results even if the prices were completely random (which they aren't). 

There are still some questions in the hobby, what's a reasonable price/premium for a preview? How does it relate to the price of the first appearance? Does the market have a standard for preview pricing? Can we put together the data for case studies? How does the CGC census impact the results?

...and here we are.

Edited by valiantman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Agreed, there won't ever be any concrete formulas that are 100% accurate for the hobby of collecting "funny books", however, there are almost 20 years of CGC sales data and more than 4,000,000 slabs on the CGC census. It's definitely time to look at what data is available now compared to the pre-internet, pre-CGC, pre-Ebay days of annual paper price guides giving us a few retailer opinions primarily driven by retailer's continuous need to provide for their families and an author's desire to put out a price guide each year with flat multipliers across all titles regardless of reality.

We don't have a "rule" that CGC 9.8 modern is always twice the price of CGC 9.6 modern, but it's true often.  What makes it untrue?  When CGC 9.8 is significantly harder to find than CGC 9.6, then the price can be more than double for 9.8. How do we know those things? Actual sales and the CGC census.

We've established lots of "norms" in this hobby, many of them from "gut feeling", but you could still run calculations on the results even if the prices were completely random (which they aren't). 

There are still some questions in the hobby, what's a reasonable price/premium for a preview? How does it relate to the price of the first appearance? Does the market have a standard for preview pricing? Can we put together the data for case studies? How does the CGC census impact the results?

...and here we are.

TMI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,283 posts
7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

TMI.

That... is why you fail. 

image.jpeg.bcf40d4d6114d6bf8a2d560a8eaf3f8d.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2