Captain America #1 (CGC 9.4)
4 4

257 posts in this topic

9,974 posts
21 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
3 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Comics are now commodities.

I wish all comics other than mine were free.

Better yet, I wish you would pay me to haul away some of your long forgotten GA books so that you would have more free space to store all of those red hot MA newsstand variants that you must be getting into your stores.  :baiting:  :takeit:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,045 posts

 

3 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Comics are now commodities.

Moreover, if trimming and color touching were practices as accepted as pressing to still deserve a blue label, all comics today would be pressed, trimmed and color touched to get the most of your buck and that will be the new standard.

hm Hmm although I found micro-trimming and color touching on cracked books that had blue labels but at least that is not a standard....yet :wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,974 posts
27 minutes ago, pickycollector said:
3 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Comics are now commodities.

Moreover, if trimming and color touching were practices as accepted as pressing to still deserve a blue label, all comics today would be pressed, trimmed and color touched to get the most of your buck and that will be the new standard.

hm Hmm although I found micro-trimming and color touching on cracked books that had blue labels but at least that is not a standard....yet :wishluck:

Not sure about the color touch aspect, but when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as one of their Consignment Directors or when Jason becomes the head of CGC grading, you'll know that micro-trimming is fully launched and good to go.  hm  lol

That's also when all of the speculators and flippers will be running down to the nearest dollar store to buy the best pair of sccissors they can in order to take full advantage of CGC's latest strategy to get more new submissions by further maximizing the potential of collectors' books.  :devil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,794 posts
32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the color touch aspect, but when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as one of their Consignment Directors or when Jason becomes the head of CGC grading, you'll know that micro-trimming is fully launched and good to go.  hm  lol

That's also when all of the speculators and flippers will be running down to the nearest dollar store to buy the best pair of sccissors they can in order to take full advantage of CGC's latest strategy to get more new submissions by further maximizing the potential of collectors' books.  :devil:

Trimming is not restoration. Sorry. Not applicable here but saw the word trimming and felt a need to say that again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,974 posts
8 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the color touch aspect, but when Heritage gets around to hiring Jason Ewert as one of their Consignment Directors or when Jason becomes the head of CGC grading, you'll know that micro-trimming is fully launched and good to go.  hm  lol

That's also when all of the speculators and flippers will be running down to the nearest dollar store to buy the best pair of sccissors they can in order to take full advantage of CGC's latest strategy to get more new submissions by further maximizing the potential of collectors' books.  :devil:

Trimming is not restoration. Sorry. Not applicable here but saw the word trimming and felt a need to say that again 

Never said that trimming was considered to be restoration as I was simply responding to the previous board member who talking about micro-trimmming and color touch.  (thumbsu

Speaking of which, trimming is something which is completely different from micro-trimming when it's been done properly.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,534 posts

So how does everyone feel about doing bikini wax to remove stains and Botox for getting rid of unsightly creases? :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,812 posts
7 minutes ago, N e r V said:

So how does everyone feel about doing bikini wax to remove stains and Botox for getting rid of unsightly creases? :popcorn:

I'm for it, if done properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
977 posts
3 hours ago, N e r V said:

So how does everyone feel about doing bikini wax to remove stains and Botox for getting rid of unsightly creases? :popcorn:

 

Edited by D84
Didn't get the joke at first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,140 posts
23 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I'm for it, if done properly.

 

23 hours ago, N e r V said:

So how does everyone feel about doing bikini wax to remove stains and Botox for getting rid of unsightly creases? :popcorn:

 

ps.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,195 posts
On 5/26/2019 at 11:01 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 5/26/2019 at 10:09 PM, lou_fine said:

I wondered if anybody has ever bothered to try to return a book to Heritage due to the inaccurate colors of their scans?  :p

I bet you if you throw around words such as misleading, misrepresentation, or potentially fraudulent, you would get your money back right away.  Of course, you most likely wouldn't ever be allowed to bid in any of their future auctions going forward.  hm  :censored:

I suspect if I wanted to return that book

1) heritage would take it back

2) i’d be allowed to bid going forward. 

Judging from returns on some books I've consigned to them, Heritage certainly seems willing to accept pretty thin excuses. Don't know, of course, whether the bidder was then sanctioned in some way. I've been told that they do revoke your bidding privileges if you just walk away from a winning bid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,940 posts
1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Heritage scan:

What you get in the mail:

 

I think we've all been there! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,974 posts
16 hours ago, AJD said:
18 hours ago, N e r V said:

Heritage scan:

What you get in the mail:

 

I think we've all been there! lol

So, you are saying it really is like this:

 

The San Francisco copy of Cap 1 from Heritage's scan:

 

 

lf?set=path%5B2%2F0%2F9%2F9%2F7%2F20997799%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

 

As compared to the colors from the picture from Gator's lousy camera:

4539099E-3BFB-4874-A87F-CC016EBD61B9.jpeg

 

Looks the same to me, OR NOT!!!   lol  (tsk)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
977 posts
38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, you are saying it really is like this:

 

The San Francisco copy of Cap 1 from Heritage's scan:

 

 

lf?set=path%5B2%2F0%2F9%2F9%2F7%2F20997799%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

 

As compared to the colors from the picture from Gator's lousy camera:

4539099E-3BFB-4874-A87F-CC016EBD61B9.jpeg

 

Looks the same to me, OR NOT!!!   lol  (tsk)

 

I'd be furious if I bought a book from them and the colors were that obviously doctored in the scan.

Good thing I avoid them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,534 posts

Books coming off the newsstand often weren’t as “cartoonish” bright as scans by them. I place them in with what you look at with many books on comics in their color photo sections they are often set at maximum brightness with full color pop. 

In my experience Heritage scans are pretty unrealistic with their “pop” factor and comic link has been guilty in the other direction with muted colors that make some books look worse.

I could mention a few sellers here that like to turn up the juice with their scans or others that use the worse looking “ghetto “ scans too...lol

 

Edited by N e r V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,534 posts

FYI, to my eyes unless the book is sun damaged or badly faded the natural colors on GA comics is superior to pumped up scans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,091 posts
23 hours ago, N e r V said:

Heritage scan:

EE396180-3853-4EF9-BF6E-97FF6A8E2067.thumb.jpeg.019d747a8fe0b5a29a282f9b4130d228.jpeg

 

What you get in the mail:

CFE2DB44-1A4E-4F51-9515-749D4D2CDCB3.thumb.jpeg.dd32226e55e558c909e88f2e59bd9577.jpeg

 

:devil:

Looks like the first one has been polished with a ShamWow 

You'll say WOW everytime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4