• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing a sticker from a cover

11 posts in this topic

I aquired a grail for a decent price because on the cover is part of a sticker, (probably a second hand store label or something). Im curious how difficult or easy it would be to remove the sticker without damaging the book. I'm sure I would need a professional to do it but I thought I would get your guys opinion on the best possible course if action.

My opinion is to leave it on there.  Comics were printed by the thousands, and not originally intended to be collectible, especially grails... so things that happened to comics before they became valuable are part of the "journey" from nothing to something.  Stickers, date stamps, even original owner "touchups" (restoration) are part of the story.  Nothing nefarious was intended, so it's not a negative (in my opinion) to keep those things with/on the book.

Unfortunately, nefarious intent came later, touchups, trimming, undisclosed restoration, as the values increased.  As a result, many collectors want to get as close to the original as possible and avoid books with damage/stickers/etc., but eventually the hobby will recognize the difference between types of "damage" and the natural journey of books, particularly things that make them unique, may even be celebrated.

:foryou:

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

My opinion is to leave it on there.  Comics were printed by the thousands, and not originally intended to be collectible, especially grails... so things that happened to comics before they became valuable are part of the "journey" from nothing to something.  Stickers, date stamps, even original owner "touchups" (restoration) are part of the story.  Nothing nefarious was intended, so it's not a negative (in my opinion) to keep those things with/on the book.

Unfortunately, nefarious intent came later, touchups, trimming, undisclosed restoration, as the values increased.  As a result, many collectors want to get as close to the original as possible and avoid books with damage/stickers/etc., but eventually the hobby will recognize the difference between types of "damage" and the natural journey of books, particularly things that make them unique, may even be celebrated.

Agreed. Again.

I think you risk damaging the true integrity of your grail by trying to remove the sticker.

I would ask myself "does the sticker make it any less of a grail to me?"  If the answer to that question is yes, then maybe look into selling that one off or attempting to trade it for another copy.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I couldn't agree any more, I don't mind the Date stamps as it think its cool to think of the history and journey that this comic had. I love the stories the vintage comics have. 

The only thing I don't like is when people were doing Restoration to increase value. Tape doesn't bother me as I see it as someone was trying to hold together their loved comic, but when you get that leaf casing restoration etc.. I kind of don't appreciate that. 

I also like stickers. As said, they are part of the book's history.

Mind you, if it is a grail book and the sticker is in a bad spot (covering a title or face or just placed somewhere in the middle of the book), I might be more inclined to have it removed. It can be done, there are people who do it. There is a risk and that is where you have to decide if it is worth the risk, as you could end up with a rip or pull on the colour. 

I know one person who does it, not sure if they are considered pros but he did remove a sticker off of an old golden age Cap book. If you want contact info, let me know. 

The Half Priced books in Columbus used to have a $0.25, then $0.50 bins. I have found gems in these boxes and trying to get the sticker off is not worth it.  It is either an 20 minute exacto affair after you have put a very very very small amount to lighter fluid on the sticker to make the sticker easier to peal off or you ruin the cover more when the sticker tears off part of the cover... it is an iffy affair that is not worth it.  Lighter fluid works great on price stickers on paperback book covers, but on comics if you use the slightest to much (like an extra drop) it bleeds through and damages the comic worse then the sticker. 

For a while, before they stopped the bins, they put the sticker on the back cover.  I loved this!  but there was a collector who didn't like it because getting a price sticker of white part of page is near impossible. 

So, leave the sticker on the comic.  

This is what can happen when you try to remove a sticker from a grail:

1011621308_184allraw.thumb.jpg.1bc979f8bc1ddf9866b45514c5004b5a.jpg

Think once. Think Twice. Think; "Don't remove stickers from a grail".

Spoiler

P.S. The person that removed this particular sticker took about $4K off the value at the time. Never was a sticker so inappropriately removed 9_9

184.thumb.jpg.c0c097f408609475fa164602d98b6e33.jpg

Ouch,

I learned the hard way, used to just rip 'em off. However using a razor blade to wedge between the comic and the sticker can prove fairly effective.

I usually take off stickers. Then again books I find with stickers are rarely above 4.0's and usually nothing special. Though, I don't take off 15c and 19c price stickers on 12c and 15c books respectively. I find them very interesting in the history behind the book and all.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:59 AM, valiantman said:

Right on, right on...  (thumbsu