How to report a Grading SCAM??
0

12 posts in this topic

9 posts

I was interested in bidding on a CGC Graded book that will expire in about one hour but it looks like a scam.   Yes, I know "dont' bid on it then" but I believe if there is criminal activity going on then those should be prosecuted.   You guys please be the judge if CGC would actually give this book a 9.2??   thanks...    If its seems wrong please pass this onto whomever in CGC that can further advise in false CGC knockoff's and comment.   thx again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-9-2-WHITE-PAGES-1st-FIRST-SON-OF-SATAN-BEAUTIFUL-COPY/283494568560

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,922 posts
Posted (edited)

I looked closely at this auction and I don't think this is a scam. This is a very reputable seller we're talking about, and this is one of the new style cases, which is what this seller typically puts up for auction. They also apparently sell these books for charity reasons, so in my mind, that would bolster their credibility, not detract from it. So then it comes down to whether the grade is accurate or not. What looks like a stain at the bottom edge of the front cover appears to be distribution ink, and I've seen books graded 9.4 with similar ink stains. I do see some wear on the bottom edge of the front cover, but that's pretty minor, too. The fingerprints on the upper right edge of the front cover are likely on the holder, not the book. If they are on the book, it's not the seller's fault, it's someone at CGC with dirty fingers. And those white flecks on the front cover also appear to be tiny pieces of paper that are either trapped inside the holder or stuck to the outside of it. There's also a bit of spine stress that breaks color. Would I grade this 9.2? Probably not, but someone at CGC thought so. Who am I to argue?  

I hope this helps, and please have a nice evening...

Edited by The Lions Den

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 posts

thanks for the reply.   I also  believe that the 9.2 book was not a 9.2.   I attached another link of a 8.5 for the same book and I would grade the 8.5 higher than the 9.2   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-8-5-WP-1st-SON-OF-SATAN-UNDER-GRADED-SEE-OUR-9-2-AUCTION-/283494880372?oid=283494568560

If this was football I would challenge the grade and risk losing a time out.

Thanks again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,922 posts
30 minutes ago, Tarn Kronos said:

thanks for the reply.   I also  believe that the 9.2 book was not a 9.2.   I attached another link of a 8.5 for the same book and I would grade the 8.5 higher than the 9.2   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-8-5-WP-1st-SON-OF-SATAN-UNDER-GRADED-SEE-OUR-9-2-AUCTION-/283494880372?oid=283494568560

If this was football I would challenge the grade and risk losing a time out.

Thanks again...

You're welcome. Sometimes books look nicer in the holder than they really are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,094 posts
16 hours ago, Tarn Kronos said:

I was interested in bidding on a CGC Graded book that will expire in about one hour but it looks like a scam.   Yes, I know "dont' bid on it then" but I believe if there is criminal activity going on then those should be prosecuted.   You guys please be the judge if CGC would actually give this book a 9.2??   thanks...    If its seems wrong please pass this onto whomever in CGC that can further advise in false CGC knockoff's and comment.   thx again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-9-2-WHITE-PAGES-1st-FIRST-SON-OF-SATAN-BEAUTIFUL-COPY/283494568560

 

 

Too many people are too quick to call scam. While it's certainly not impossible, the odds are against there being the kind of scam you're referring to.

It's the Razor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52,431 posts
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, Tarn Kronos said:

thanks for the reply.   I also  believe that the 9.2 book was not a 9.2.   I attached another link of a 8.5 for the same book and I would grade the 8.5 higher than the 9.2   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GHOST-RIDER-1-CGC-8-5-WP-1st-SON-OF-SATAN-UNDER-GRADED-SEE-OUR-9-2-AUCTION-/283494880372?oid=283494568560

If this was football I would challenge the grade and risk losing a time out.

Thanks again...

Not all 9.2s (or any grade for that matter) are created equal, not do they necessarily look the same. I've seen 9.2s that look barely 9.0 and I've seen 9.0s that look more like 9.4s/9.6s 

Just because you think it isn't a 9.2 doesn't mean it isn't. Could it be a 9.0 sitting in a 9.2 slab? Sure it could. It's not like that's never happened before. CGC has gone through looser and tighter grading cycles in its history. However, to call it a scam is quite a stretch. 

What boggles my mind is that you looked at that book, didn't agree with the grade, and discounted all other possibilities and went right to 'scam' as the answer. ???  

Edited by Jeffro™

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
40 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

Not all 9.2s (or any grade for that matter) are created equal, not do they necessarily look the same. I've seen 9.2s that look barely 9.0 and I've seen 9.0s that look more like 9.4s/9.6s 

Just because you think it isn't a 9.2 doesn't mean it isn't. Could it be a 9.0 sitting in a 9.2 slab? Sure it could. It's not like that's never happened before. CGC has gone through looser and tighter grading cycles in its history. However, to call it a scam is quite a stretch. 

If he wasn't 100% sure it's a scam, then he certainly wouldn't have posted it in more than 1 topic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
874 posts

 

On 6/5/2019 at 10:14 PM, gotpong said:

Seems like 27 times someone didn't think it was a scam

Ah, but it only takes one...

 

33zdip.gif

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,141 posts

With all those high dollar sales and a perfect record the word scam doesn't even cross my mind. This seller is as legit as MC Hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,129 posts
On 6/21/2019 at 9:28 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

With all those high dollar sales and a perfect record the word scam doesn't even cross my mind. This seller is as legit as MC Hammer.

Whew, at least you didn’t say, “...as legit as Milli Vanilli.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0