• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market is Insane
5 5

331 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Don't press anything.

The camp on these boards is totally split on that.  A guy just this week said press EVERYTHING.  I agree the chance of getting a book damaged increases but i also think they do look better, especially older books.  Some people say it adds to value and others say it detracts.  I haven't made my mind up yet...

5 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Slabbing 100 silver age books is going to cost you a fortune.  I recommend you thoroughly examine the books before sending in, starting with the high dollar books.  For instance my threshold is a 500 dollar book (currently).  I am working on an FF 1-100 run.  Also you are probably going to want to press a bunch and that will add to cost.

oh yeah I've mostly slabbed the keys I still have a few major keys to send in this year but most will probably stay in raw condition .

@TwoPiece why not press?

Just now, Krishosein said:

oh yeah I've mostly slabbed the keys I still have a few major keys to send in this year but most will probably stay in raw condition .

@TwoPiece why not press?

I've been looking at a lot of Silver Age books recently. The old CGC label books consistently look better than let's say "half" of newer-label books. I suspect that pressing has to do with it. I want a book that's 100% natural. I don't want it to be as flat as possible. It just doesn't look right to me. I feel like pressing will make a book with a 'meh' wrap look a lot worse when flattened.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I've been looking at a lot of Silver Age books recently. The old CGC label books consistently look better than let's say "half" of newer-label books. I suspect that pressing has to do with it. I want a book that's 100% natural. I don't want it to be as flat as possible. It just doesn't look right to me. I feel like pressing will make a book with a 'meh' wrap look a lot worse when flattened.

What SA books are you looking at?

There's not too many old (burgundy & blue) CGC label books around. :whistle:

On 6/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I've been collecting since the late 70s.

I'm actually very tired of keeping on being involved with the time-consuming, frustrating and very limited old-school approach of mail order, shops and convention trips, and making grindingly-slow progress.  I suppose I've simply run out of patience, and, now I'm in my fifties, realising the impracticability of getting anywhere near to completion by persisting with this, exacerbated of course by the current speculator market.  Also, there are my health issues to consider, which make me want to do something else with comics that's far more relaxed and fuss-free.  And,  I get a much greater sense of progress and closure after reading a book collection or a digital file.  It's enough for me, and better than bashing my head against a brick wall, again and again.

So, I don't believe that contemporary instant gratification is necessarily the main driving force for such a transition ;  I'm just happily not chasing this particular rainbow any more.

My comment was more directed at the new collector who doesn't have the patience to complete a run and not at the old school collector who has 'been there and done that.'

On 6/13/2019 at 12:42 PM, TwoPiece said:
On 6/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, Krishosein said:

@TwoPiece why not press?

The type of label has nothing to do with it.

CGC grading standards fluctuates over the years and there are both tight and loose books in all the grading labels.

And no, pressing doesn't do that.

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

My comment was more directed at the new collector who doesn't have the patience to complete a run and not at the old school collector who has 'been there and done that.'

Yup.  Even without the internet, I didn’t find it that difficult to put together my first long run, Conan 1 to 100, back in the late 70s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/14/2019 at 8:55 PM, VintageComics said:

The type of label has nothing to do with it.

CGC grading standards fluctuates over the years and there are both tight and loose books in all the grading labels.

And no, pressing doesn't do that.

Uh, hello..? The era of their first label is an era. So, yes, it does have something to do with it. People seem to agree that the 1st label era was a "stricter" grading period.

So pressing doesn't flatten books, you say..?

Yikes.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

What SA books are you looking at?

There's not too many old (burgundy & blue) CGC label books around. :whistle:

I've got some that I probably need to re-holder but even re-holdering is expensive..I missed the CGC drop off when Dallas Fan Days was here back in May.  That helps some.