• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How common are Newton's rings?

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Long story short: I'm a newbie at the whole graded comics thing. I decided to take the plunge and get five of my comics graded, and I recently got them back. I am mostly very happy with the service but noticed that one of my comics has a few Newton's rings (the other four look completely fine -- no Newton's rings). I am aware that Newton's rings won't damage the comic and that they are the result of different refraction indices between the different plastics used in the slabs.

I guess my question is how common is this problem? My rate of Newton's rings is 20%, but I have a pretty small sample size of five books. I'm just wondering how widespread this issue really is. 

I know that they're not the end of the world, but I do find the Newton's rings to be aesthetically unappealing; they're one of those things I can't "unsee." Any insight/input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Newton's Rings.jpeg

37 minutes ago, I like pie said:

It's not very common right now. Once in awhile, I'll get 3-5 our of a 25 book submission that are not acceptable.

CGC will reholder at no charge for bad ones and credit you for return shipping.

What's a "bad one", because most of the 30 or so most recent ones I've gotten back have multiple rings? Thanks!

2 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

What's a "bad one", because most of the 30 or so most recent ones I've gotten back have multiple rings? Thanks!

These are clearly bad ones but really, it's up to the customer as to what is acceptable to them. Isn't it?

166513062_ghostrider.thumb.jpg.84b610aca9f8cd1706c96bd652b90592.jpg

saga.thumb.jpg.7be5091fccea1e9ed2f3ae44a00d6c29.jpg

6 minutes ago, I like pie said:

These are clearly bad ones but really, it's up to the customer as to what is acceptable to them. Isn't it?

No.

CGC decide what is 'normal and acceptable', not you. 

86% of 235 people think differently mind...

Thank God for Brittany.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I have approximately 25,0000 non CGC books. Not a single Newton ring. Just one of life's co-inky-dinks.

I had 250 first and second generation slabs. Not a single ring in sight. Hence the poll. Old slabs lovely, new slabs fugly.

24 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I had 250 first and second generation slabs. Not a single ring in sight. Hence the poll. Old slabs lovely, new slabs fugly.

I agree, the problem is mostly with the latest generation slabs. I would sometimes see rings on the previous generation slabs but it was easy to stuff a piece of paper inside the slab and the ring would disappear. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree, the problem is mostly with the latest generation slabs. I would sometimes see rings on the previous generation slabs but it was easy to stuff a piece of paper inside the slab and the ring would disappear. 

Hand on heart, not one ring on 250 'old' slabs Bob. For me, the problem is, and always has been, the latest slabs. I like CGC. I like some of the people. I think they have integrity and good intentions. But the new slabs are faulty and need to be replaced. There is no hiding from that. We can say, for example, "3 out of 25 were ok on my last submission" as if that is an indication of success. We can post videos how to correct them. We can say CGC will sort out the faulty ones. None of these factors excuse the inherent design flaw which was - in my experience - not in evidence in the former generations of slabs. It is possible to produce a ring free slab. CGC used to produce them with stunning regularity. So the problem can be sorted. My God in Heaven I wish they would get on with sorting it. 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hand on heart, not one ring on 250 'old' slabs Bob. For me, the problem is, and always has been, the latest slabs. I like CGC. I like some of the people. I think they have integrity and good intentions. But the new slabs are faulty and need to be replaced. There is no hiding from that. We can say, for example, "3 out of 25 were ok on my last submission" as if that is an indication of success. We can post videos how to correct them. We can say CGC will sort out the faulty ones. None of these factors excuse the inherent design flaw which was - in my experience - not in evidence in the former generations of slabs. It is possible to produce a ring free slab. CGC used to produce them with stunning regularity. So the problem can be sorted. My God in Heaven I wish they would get on with sorting it. 

I believe that some slabs may leave CGC without a ring. Depending on the temperature, pressure on the slab, something causes the rings to appear. I remember getting a new slab with rings but simply keeping it pressure free at home for a while and the rings disappeared. I agree with you and I do not like the new slabs. I much prefered the previous slabs. 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I believe that some slabs may leave CGC without a ring. Depending on the temperature, pressure on the slab, something causes the rings to appear. I remember getting a new slab with rings but simply keeping it pressure free at home for a while and the rings disappeared. I agree with you and I do not like the new slabs. I much prefered the previous slabs. 

Yup. I'm sure the overall numbers are low, of books with NRs, compared to the total. For every post of complaint here there are likely a hundred satisfied customers. I see them like cooked chickens though. "Don't worry guys, only 3 in every 100 of our cooked chickens will render you toilet bound for two days straight. We believe that percentage to be normal and acceptable".

CGC stands for 'Cooked Giblet-free Chicken' of course. 

You can tell I'm bored tonight, can't you.  

16 hours ago, shadroch said:

They need to add a "Classic Slab" option.

That's not a bad idea. I think one of the materials that they used is no longer available though Shad (Barearse?). It was accidentally uninvented and apparently can never be recreated ever by any supplier, hence the unfortunate reliance on the new crystal clear replacement. I think we have to wait for a failed alien invasion like in Avengers or Independence Day so our scientists can rediscover it using the aliens superior technology :tonofbricks:

Edited by Get Marwood & I
I fought the law but the law got the upper hand, launching a take over bid with a rear guard action