• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Appreciation for Barry Smith's Conan
1 1

53 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

His young Conan was so lean. 

It was a bold choice-Howard never described him quite like that.  Also Barry's choice for his horned helmet.  What a visionary!

You could also see the evolution of his artistic style. Started out kind of Kirby-esque, but became more detailed and intricate as time went on.

I really liked the horned helmet. It was like his logo, a defining visual trademark of sorts. I hated that they ditched it so early in the series. To me it was like doing Superman without the "S"! 

Edited by Jaylam

9 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

His young Conan was so lean. 

This was supposed to have been a very young Conan, possibly still in his late teens so it made sense to draw him lean     .  This was his first foray into the world outside of Cimmeria.

The problem with Buscema’s take is that Conan always looked 40 years old no matter how old the character was supposed to be in the story  

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I prefer his later, more detailed Conan art, where his figure work and faces had greatly improved.

Not me I loved the exciting cruder more vibrant early Conans.  And yes Buscema Conan looked 40.

35 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Yeah! Barry Windsor Smith Conan's are AWESOME! :headbang:

Um it's Barry Windsor Addington-Ainsworth Eaton Barclay Harrington Darrington Smith!!!

Just now, kav said:

Um it's Barry Windsor Addington-Ainsworth Eaton Barclay Harrington Darrington Smith!!!

So working class.

I remember when Conan #1 came out.  I was at the AF base store and saw it on the racks.   I was a fan of the books but I never considered buying the comic.  I was a DC reader-buying a Marvel book never even crossed my mind.  Never bought a single Marvel, even when I had plenty of money, and would read any comic.  The first Marvel I bought was when I was an adult.  It was ASM 149.  I was a fan of the cartoon and expected the books to be similar-I thought WTF when there was these clones and who the heck is gwen stacy anyway she's not in the cartoon-  lol 

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Makes it hard for me to hate ya when you write posts like these. 

BWS is just a legend.. when you thought in the 70s that his work was excellent he comes back in the 80s with a whole new style and masterpiece after masterpiece blows your mind away  

Legend man, legend

people are un-hating me right and left lately

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

Don't push it now

IMG_5415.JPG.18ec1d186fa257fd0e2bf067ea4877e4.JPG

good advice

some ppl aint got time for that, Willis

Someone has to do it, so it might as well be me. 

I preferred Buscema's Conan.  Smith's version was too skinny and pretty. 

The most true to Howard's description in the books would be Frazetta's  "Barbarian" painting. In Howard's books, Conan was a battle scarred, hard, scary looking man.  Not a smooth skinned model. 

I was reading comics when Conan came out in 1970. I really enjoyed the character and stories. But IMHO, Smith's art was a better fit on other titles and characters. 

14 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Someone has to do it, so it might as well be me. 

I preferred Buscema's Conan.  Smith's version was too skinny and pretty. 

The most true to Howard's description in the books would be Frazetta's  "Barbarian" painting. In Howard's books, Conan was a battle scarred, hard, scary looking man.  Not a smooth skinned model. 

I was reading comics when Conan came out in 1970. I really enjoyed the character and stories. But IMHO, Smith's art was a better fit on other titles and characters. 

In many of the stories eg tower of the elephant, rogues in the house and god in the bowl, Conan was a youth.  Frazetta never depicted this Conan.  The Smith version is more realistic.  A frazetta or Buscema 40 year old Conan in tower of the elephant would be ludicrous, IMO.