• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious about GPA Avengers 4 9.6 signed by Lee/Kirby

89 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I'm sorry, am I supposed to offer an opinion on something?  Okay: A couple of years after Jack died, I was at the house of A Person (not his real name) who pulled out a stack of "Jack Kirby" signature cards.  He said that before Jack had died, he had about 100 of these filled out so he could have them as authentic Jack Kirby signatures.  Another Guy (also not his real name) looked at the signatures and said, "Roz signed these."  They got in an argument that came down to whether A Person had actually been in the room when they'd been filled out.  He couldn't remember.  That's when I decided have a harder look at my signature collection of Bob Kane clown paintings, as I was starting to have my doubts. 

Glad you're here. Like they say in Goodfellas, any friend of his (Kirby) is a friend of "ours". Kav and I just "made" you!! :whee:

Just now, James J Johnson said:

I don't know what's wrong with these people, wherever they're from. They post, they get our hopes up; throwing the bucket of bait in the water and getting us all chummed up. I thought we were going to talk Kirby and that blew up right in our faces like an exploding coconut custard pie.

He's got 100 of something signed by the King and he can't remember if he was there when JK signed them? I would think that if he was enough of a fan or businessman to set up a situation to procure 100 Kirby autographs, his memory of their acquisition wouldn't be muddled. I'm skeptical about his amnesia, GG.

Marlon Brando signed my shirt but I cant remember if he was holding the pen when he did it or if someone else was holding it for him in another room-

I also cant remember if I was wearing the shirt at the time or even if it was my shirt.

Or if it was Marlon Brando.  Could have been Mickey Rooney or maybe Mickey Mouse-

The point is this is a 100% legit Brando signature, verified and confirmed.

59 minutes ago, kav said:

well he's a busy guy also he mentioned something about a new keyboard.

Kirby would have to draw lots of motion lines around him like Crumb did with Harvey Pekar, that similarly might have been confused by some as wavy stink lines like in the movie American Splendor.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Or if it was Marlon Brando.  Could have been Mickey Rooney or maybe Mickey Mouse-

Ironically coincidental that you mentioned two such diminutive notables. When GG wrote:

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

"I was at the house of A Person (not his real name)" ,

at first glance I thought he was referring to Albie Pearson, one of the tiniest ballplayers that ever graced a baseball team, the 1960s version of Eddie Gaedel, the midget that Bill Veeck sent up to the plate to bat and draw a walk as a gag. Veeck was like the PT Barnum of baseball..

Albie Pearson wasn't just pictured on a Post cereal box cut out card, Albie used to hide in and pop out of Post cereal boxes to surprise his teammates at breakfast. Anything for a laugh, that was Albie!

Pearson.jpg