Is Immortal Hulk actually that good?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

48 posts

and if it is why are they so expensive?  are they limited runs?,many rare varients.  Im kist looking to get into a good long running series?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,381 posts

I couldn't get into it but a lot of people rave about it. I'm sure many trying to pump and dump as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,593 posts
3 hours ago, I like pie said:

I couldn't get into it but a lot of people rave about it. I'm sure many trying to pump and dump as well.

I feel like a lot of the people who rave about it aren't pumping and dumping.  From what I've seen on /r/Marvel, it's widely considered one of the better Marvel books at the moment.  That's a community largely of casual readers...not collectors, not re-sellers.

I personally enjoy it.  I do wish the art was better, but Al Ewing's writing lends itself to a sort of gravitas.  I love how the first page of each issue is this sort of deep introspective thought.  It's really unlike anything else Marvel is putting out at the moment because it doesn't necessarily read like your stereotypical comic book (compared to books like ASM or Avengers).

Also, this topic seems it would be better suited in the thread linked below.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,381 posts

Its just different from your normal comic book. I commend the writer for taking the chance that has paid 
off.

I feel sorry for fans as Speculation will ruin this book. Even Marvel is launching an Immortal Hulk 
Cover variant month. I have lost track of all the variants for Hulk 20.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,329 posts

To me, the interesting part is the surrounding cast rather than Hulk.

Especially how they are bringing back a lot of the cast from the last 50 years in a newer fashion. 

Getting tired of how he can be gutted to the core and it doesn't matter.  

Patrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,704 posts
22 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I feel like a lot of the people who rave about it aren't pumping and dumping.  From what I've seen on /r/Marvel, it's widely considered one of the better Marvel books at the moment.  That's a community largely of casual readers...not collectors, not re-sellers.

I personally enjoy it.  I do wish the art was better, but Al Ewing's writing lends itself to a sort of gravitas.  I love how the first page of each issue is this sort of deep introspective thought.  It's really unlike anything else Marvel is putting out at the moment because it doesn't necessarily read like your stereotypical comic book (compared to books like ASM or Avengers).

Also, this topic seems it would be better suited in the thread linked below.

 

Don't like the art? Must be a Liefeld fan...

 

 

1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,593 posts
3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Don't like the art? Must be a Liefeld fan...

 

 

1.jpg

I'm more of a Keown/Frank Hulk fan.  My issue has more to do with the many panels where Hulk is weakened and looks like he's melting.  But I guess a lot of people have described it as a horror story and the art (as you depicted) really matches a book of that genre.

image.thumb.png.6dd15981b27a4c81b0ab03a022a83457.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
156 posts
3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm more of a Keown/Frank Hulk fan.  My issue has more to do with the many panels where Hulk is weakened and looks like he's melting.  But I guess a lot of people have described it as a horror story and the art (as you depicted) really matches a book of that genre.

image.thumb.png.6dd15981b27a4c81b0ab03a022a83457.png

But in the story he IS weakened and melting away by opponents a few times ...   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
202 posts

In 35 years of reading comics I have never enjoyed a Hulk comic or a story with the Hulk in it until Immortal Hulk, which I binged in one sitting and think is currently the best written comic out right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
156 posts

It's my must read book .. can't get enough of it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
202 posts

The funny thing about is is that I didn't realize "Immortal Hulk" wasn't really a new book, but just a renumbered and renamed continuation of the original Incredible Hulk series from 1962. I never would have picked it up if it was labeled "Incredible Hulk 718," so I guess Marvel's strategy is working on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,704 posts
3 hours ago, SBRobin said:

The funny thing about is is that I didn't realize "Immortal Hulk" wasn't really a new book, but just a renumbered and renamed continuation of the original Incredible Hulk series from 1962. I never would have picked it up if it was labeled "Incredible Hulk 718," so I guess Marvel's strategy is working on me.

It's just legacy numbering. It's there way of pleasing the purists while being able to get a reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,065 posts
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, fastballspecial said:

Its just different from your normal comic book. I commend the writer for taking the chance that has paid 
off.

I feel sorry for fans as Speculation will ruin this book. Even Marvel is launching an Immortal Hulk 
Cover variant month. I have lost track of all the variants for Hulk 20.

 

 

I don't agree with this. The speculation has died down on the series but the writing and artwork to me is just as strong now as the first few issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,381 posts
2 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:
On 6/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, fastballspecial said:

Its just different from your normal comic book. I commend the writer for taking the chance that has paid 
off.

I feel sorry for fans as Speculation will ruin this book. Even Marvel is launching an Immortal Hulk 
Cover variant month. I have lost track of all the variants for Hulk 20.

 

 

I don't agree with this. The speculation has died down on the series but the writing and artwork to me is just as strong now as the first few issues. 

Fair enough. Count the variants Hulk 20 Variant

I think the book is great, I would just hate to be a fan because of the above.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,593 posts
48 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Fair enough. Count the variants Hulk 20 Variant

I think the book is great, I would just hate to be a fan because of the above.

 

The only ones worth getting are the Alex Ross variants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,352 posts

It is definitely different.  More horror than hero.  It is one of my 5 monthly pulls at the moment.  The current spec and sales on the earlier issues is a bit confusing.  I can't see them sustaining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,381 posts
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:
9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Fair enough. Count the variants Hulk 20 Variant

I think the book is great, I would just hate to be a fan because of the above.

 

The only ones worth getting are the Alex Ross variants.

Yeah I don't get that either. Ross used to be it for covers and for years he just kinda meandered along until
recently he is a hit again. Weird.

I think he has definitely revived his career from this book.

 

 

Edited by fastballspecial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,593 posts
1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah I don't get that either. Ross used to be it for covers and for years he just kinda meandered along until
recently he is a hit again. Weird.

I think he has definitely revived his career from this book.

 

 

I haven't paid attention to the variant market until recently, but I get this sense that we're seeing more variant covers than at any other point in the last 10-15 years.  Perhaps Ross is just trying to take advantage of the variant market while its still hot same as all the other artists out there.  I'm just glad that he's doing regular covers as well.  Part of the reason why Immortal Hulk and Captain America are on my sub list are because of Ross' covers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
410 posts

This series has been a refreshing take on Hulk. when Hulk changed and the title became "Totally Awesome" i just totally dropped the series and waited until the Bruce Banner version returned. i believe this is one of Marvel's top selling series too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,869 posts

 

Is Immortal Hulk actually that good?

 
No.:sumo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1