• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #217
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I just bought a newsstand, CGC 9.2 graded, Amazing Spider-Man #217. It's the one from 6/81, where Sandman & Hydro-Man combine to become Mud-Thing. Throughout the day, I looked closely at all aspects of the comic. I saw that, on the bottom of the cover of my copy, where it says: "HERE'S MUD IN YOUR EYE, SPIDEY!", There is some kind of white mark (not quite an apostrophe) between the "U" and the "R" in the word "YOUR". Has any owner of an ASM #217 (graded or not) noticed this anomaly? I'm trying to determine if the mark is a printer error, or what. Does it show up only on some newsstand issues, and not on Direct Editions? Is this copy a variant? Help me out here guys. I'd love your feedback!

Well of the number of copies on eBay that you carefully inspected, how many of those copies had the mark?

14 hours ago, AwesomeSauce said:

I just bought a newsstand, CGC 9.2 graded, Amazing Spider-Man #217. It's the one from 6/81, where Sandman & Hydro-Man combine to become Mud-Thing. Throughout the day, I looked closely at all aspects of the comic. I saw that, on the bottom of the cover of my copy, where it says: "HERE'S MUD IN YOUR EYE, SPIDEY!", There is some kind of white mark (not quite an apostrophe) between the "U" and the "R" in the word "YOUR". Has any owner of an ASM #217 (graded or not) noticed this anomaly? I'm trying to determine if the mark is a printer error, or what. Does it show up only on some newsstand issues, and not on Direct Editions? Is this copy a variant? Help me out here guys. I'd love your feedback!

A quick ebay search shows a similar mark on other copies. Simply the way it was printed. Is it a variant? Well a lot of comics were printed in batches...some were cut differently than others but that does not make them variants. You just have a run o the mill ASM 217.