• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, szav said:

I probably missed this during my 20 year hiatus...so I can see her being more important now.  I'm glad she's recovered from the 1997 Batman and Robin movie, because when I think Poison Ivy I think Uma Thurman and it takes a special kind of movie to make Uma Thurman look bad, but they somehow pulled it off.

Good to know, not being heavy in to DC hero comics maybe I have been overlooking the keyness of 181.  Maybe 90k isn't that unreasonable in a relative sense.

Make no mistake.  90K is still absurd because it's not rare in any condition that 99.99999 % of people could even discern, let alone agree with or care about .  Part of the reason it's 'iconic' is that occurred during a peak time of Bat-frenzy and when they printed mountains of books and almost NOBODY was throwing them out.  Uncirculated copies of the book were freely available less than a dozen years ago from warehouse finds.  

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

I think Poison Ivy has been more important to the Batman mythos than Riddler for about 20 years now.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Scarecrow is the number 1 villain outside the Joker.  End of story :sumo:

Well, if you watch the recently completed Gotham TV series, it's really all about the Penguin right from start to finish.  :gossip:

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you watch the recently completed Gotham TV series, it's really all about the Penguin right from start to finish.  :gossip:

:sick:  Still scarred from the 1992 Batman movie with the Penguin.  Not sure I will ever recover.

3 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

My old next door apartment neighbor for about 18 months right up until he was cast in the role and just started shooting.  Prior to that he was struggling to get any roles after finding early notoriety in a small role in the movie Accepted.  He was (and hopefully still is) one of the nicest, sweetest guys I knew.  Couldn't have been happier for his success.

Super nice guy. Knew him up at Northwestern. 

1 minute ago, Chicago Boy said:

Super nice guy. Knew him up at Northwestern. 

Small world...and one of his best friends at Northwestern was Billy Eichner...who I met in Robyn's apartment back when Billy was doing a web series call 'Billy on the Street.'  Unbelievalbe to have known them back then and then watching their meteoric rise.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:22 AM, Crowzilla said:

Not that I would be interested in any of those 3 at those prices, but if I had to pick one it would probably be the Batman 181.

I would definitely rather have the Frazetta, although I wouldn't (and didn't) pay $93k for it.

Interesting to note that there were 2 reasonably nice copies of Police Comics 1 that sold for pretty strong prices in the just completed Heritage Auction:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 Harold Curtis Pedigree (Quality, 1941) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white pages....

Found it a bit surprising though that although the CGC 5.0 graded copy sold for $8,400 on Saturday, the decidedly higher graded 6.5 copy sold for only $600 more at $9,000 a couple days earlier during the Thursday main portion of the auction.  hm  :whatthe:

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Interesting to note that there were 2 reasonably nice copies of Police Comics 1 that sold for pretty strong prices in the just completed Heritage Auction:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 Harold Curtis Pedigree (Quality, 1941) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white pages....

Found it a bit surprising though that although the CGC 5.0 graded copy sold for $8,400 on Saturday, the decidedly higher graded 6.5 copy sold for only $600 more at $9,000 a couple days earlier during the Thursday main portion of the auction.  hm  :whatthe:

Pedigree?

On 11/24/2020 at 5:26 PM, piper said:
On 11/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Pedigree?

Well, from a old school collector's point of view, I wouldn't really call the Harold Curtis booksto be much of a pedigree.  hm

Especially since they are nowhere close to passing one of the most important criteria for a pedigree which is namely, Quality, or a collection noted for its high grade condition.  :p