• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

Hi ya'll. I just learned something about buying on Heritage. An owner of a book they won on auction put it up Monday with a BUY NOW price of 1,500. Yesterday (Tuesday) I clicked BUY NOW for the full amount. Today (Wednesday) they responded and said they want 2,000 for it now.

There is something about that that doesn't sit right with me. If one clicks by BUY NOW for the price the seller is offering it for they are committed to buying it for the price offered. Apparently the seller is not committed. Its kind of like dangling a carrot in front of a plow mule. Imagine if one of us put a book for sale here for a price and when someone posted an :takeit: we then said now the price is 500 dollars more. I think we'd get blacklisted pretty quickly. Anyway this has nothing to do with the current auction so I'll just fade off into the sunset now.

Edited by Professor Chaos

On 3/23/2021 at 6:34 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

This is the second Signature auction in a row that the number of Golden Age books has been extremely low. (shrug)

Maybe because people are realizing just how undervalued golden age is compared to silver, copper and modern age books with their recent run up in prices. 

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Hi ya'll. I just learned something about buying on Heritage. An owner of a book they won on auction put it up Monday with a BUY NOW price of 1,500. Yesterday (Tuesday) I clicked BUY NOW for the full amount. Today (Wednesday) they responded and said they want 2,000 for it now.

There is something about that that doesn't sit right with me. If one clicks by BUY NOW for the price the seller is offering it for they are committed to buying it for the price offered. Apparently the seller is not committed. Its kind of like dangling a carrot in front of a plow mule. Imagine if one of us put a book for sale here for a price and when someone posted an :takeit: we then said now the price is 500 dollars more. I think we'd get blacklisted pretty quickly. Anyway this has nothing to do with the current auction so I'll just fade off into the sunset now.

Thread below is about this.  Their buy now is the same as make offer.

Real slimey.

59 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Real slimey.

This apparently happens all the time. I got basically the same treatment on a 1000$ book three days ago on one of the other major auction house platforms.

As an update to this.....I have finally received confirmation that someone placed a BIN/offer for the ask price and the item has been sent to Heritage, but I must say this has been the worst experience trying to sell something I have ever experienced. Heritage should be better than this.

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:
5 hours ago, comicjack said:

I have been waiting sometime for certain books and i'm running out of time lol

+1. Certain books not showing up and when they do, you need to be prepared to pay out the nose (and other places) if you have any hope of acquiring them.

Is this the part where you have to go and change your diapers and prep yourself way in advance by buying a big box of Depends prior to their Signature Auctions?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is this the part where you have to go and change your diapers and prep yourself way in advance by buying a big box of Depends prior to their Signature Auctions?  lol

I now put on three Depends during auctions just to be safe.

Well, in this case it's best for you to check your weekly flyers for the big sales because you just might have to buy them in bulk quantities then.  :gossip:  :bigsmile:

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, in this case it's best for you to check your weekly flyers for the big sales because you just might have to buy them in bulk quantities then.  :gossip:  :bigsmile:

My son works at King Soopers so I get his employee discount (thumbsu

6 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Just a question here.............is this a Buy It Now price that the owner has knowingly set on the book themselves or is this the automated Make Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has on all of their completed auction lots?  hm

If it's the latter, this is just a system generated figure now set at 50% (used to be 30% until several months ago) above the winner's purchase price.  Most winning purchasers are not even aware of this feature and only find out about it after the fact (sometimes years later) when a prospective buyer hits the button and then it's up to them whether they want to accept this offer or not.  Can't remember if they allow you to counter offer or not, but I assume it would only make sense for them to allow you to do this.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, comicjack said:
9 hours ago, sagii said:

Another observation: it's amazing considering how many auctions HA (weekly ones included) Comiclink and Comic Connect hold a year between the three of them, you can still go years sometimes and not see certain books . 

I have been waiting sometime for certain books and i'm running out of time lol

Another observation here:  And yet it's amazing the number of more recent hot books (eg. Spidey 300, NM 98, MOKF 15, etc.) that continues to show up in multiple quamtities in every single one of these auctions and buyers continue to pay escalating prices on these seemingly "common as dirt" books.  (shrug)

4 hours ago, vheflin said:

Real slimey.

3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

This apparently happens all the time. I got basically the same treatment on a 1000$ book three days ago on one of the other major auction house platforms.

3 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

As an update to this.....I have finally received confirmation that someone placed a BIN/offer for the ask price and the item has been sent to Heritage, but I must say this has been the worst experience trying to sell something I have ever experienced. Heritage should be better than this.

Ok thanks. I've got many a book from their auction but never from a BUY NOW listing. I can understand if its an old listing and the seller/owner had not updated it. I wouldn't expect an owner to follow through with a sale now for a book with a BUY NOW price from 2019 for example. But in my case the owner had just put it up for sale the day before. The listing was one day old, so jacking the price so quickly to me is a little slimey indeed.  So basically an owner can put a book for sale for X amount. If they recieve an offer for X amount they can then reject it and raise the price. And so on. It seems to be a method in which an owner/"seller" who has no intention to sell can use to gauge the actual market price they "would" be able to recieve if  they actually want to sell it. 

Oh well, it is what it is. I have no better solution to this method, other than not use the wording BUY NOW when in fact its not actually a BUY NOW method. 

So Mr F , I don't know what happened in your situation. I know from the email from heritage that the seller was able to reject my offer of the full BUY NOW price. Maybe accepting the BUY NOW is not as simplistic. I hope you at least ultimately got the price you wanted for it. 

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just a question here.............is this a Buy It Now price that the owner has knowingly set on the book themselves or is this the automated Make Offer to Owner feature that Heritage has on all of their completed auction lots?  hm

If it's the latter, this is just a system generated figure now set at 50% (used to be 30% until several months ago) above the winner's purchase price.  Most winning purchasers are not even aware of this feature and only find out about it after the fact (sometimes years later) when a prospective buyer hits the button and then it's up to them whether they want to accept this offer or not.  Can't remember if they allow you to counter offer or not, but I assume it would only make sense for them to allow you to do this.  (thumbsu

You know I'm not completely sure but that question is "Highly Significant" . The way it's worded it seems that the owner of the book has set the price themselves. If it is an automatically generated price they really need to change that method as its just a problem waiting to be had for either party. But I do believe the owner sets the price because most BUY NOW prices are pretty darn high. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 3/22/2021 at 5:23 AM, sagii said:

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Awesome! There were results like this on a few maybe ago as well. Also very high grade.

Maybe bought on by the Space Jam sequel? The Pepe Le Pew and Lola Bunny headlines? A franchise started in the 30's and updates and changes are still newsworthy and still the subject of big budget motion pictures as well as newly produced cartoon shorts.

I'd say it was about time. 

It could be. I'd be curious to know how many bidders there were (not counting the low-ball bidders). There could be just two guys competing for high-grade copies.

Don't think it would be the Space Jam sequel as Pepe Le Pew has been left on the cutting room floor of that movie, and apparently Pepe will also not be showing up in any other media platforms going forward due to its political incorrectness when it comes to so-called rape culture and the like:  :(

https://deadline.com/2021/03/pepe-le-pew-space-jam-2-new-york-times-rape-culture-controversy-1234708688/

Even if Pepe was still in the movie sequel, I believe his first comic book appearance was right near the end of the Looney Tunes run in the SA and hence shouldn't have a direct link to the GA issues of Looney Tunes where these high auction results were taking place.  hm

Nonetheless, it's always good to see some of these long undervalued and seeningly much under appreciated books finally receive their long overdue day in the sun.  :applause: