• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

Was just scrolling though the CC auction listings in advance of their auction later this afternoon and thought this cover image looked familiar:

exc1.506a.jpg

Yep, looks like CL also had an CGC equivalent graded copy with the same PQ in their auction the previous week which managed to fetched something like $1,425.  (thumbsu

You usually don't have an almost real time face-off like this, so it'll be interesting to see if it's better to come to market earlier (i.e. the 9.0 graded copy from CL) or better to come in as the clean up hitter (i.e. the 9.0 graded Overstreet copy on CC later today).  hm

Even with CC's extended bidding format, I am probably leaning towards coming to market earlier since that's still a pretty huge margin which the CC copy would have to make up in order to reach the same price point.  I guess we'll get to find find out in a few short hours from now.  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Even with CC's extended bidding format, I am probably leaning towards coming to market earlier since that's still a pretty huge margin which the CC copy would have to make up in order to reach the same price point.  I guess we'll get to find find out in a few short hours from now.  :taptaptap:

Edited 5 hours ago by lou_fine

Well, that took no time at all as the CC copy up above didn't even pick up a single bid during the extended auction time period.  (shrug)

In this particular case, unlike the Mask 1 which is absolutely going gangbusters on CC as compared to the CL copy the previous week, it looks like this early bird copy for the Exciting Comics on CL clearly came out ahead by a wide margin:  ^^

RAD73DCB2019619_165056.jpg

...was 'quiet' on the Gold front which just closed. 

Some books performed as expected (Caps, Tecs) but then there were Lots of bargains IMHO

Regret not going after the last issue of Keen Detective Funnies

Even with the pencil marks and hole in the cover, I think that Human Torch #23 was a steal though! 

comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW%2EASP%3Fcode%3D2019sept%26session%3D2%26pg%3D7%23Item_1354543&id=1354543&itemType=0

Edited by sagii

On 9/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, lou_fine said:

Was just scrolling though the CC auction listings in advance of their auction later this afternoon and thought this cover image looked familiar:

exc1.506a.jpg

Yep, looks like CL also had an CGC equivalent graded copy with the same PQ in their auction the previous week which managed to fetched something like $1,425.  (thumbsu

You usually don't have an almost real time face-off like this, so it'll be interesting to see if it's better to come to market earlier (i.e. the 9.0 graded copy from CL) or better to come in as the clean up hitter (i.e. the 9.0 graded Overstreet copy on CC later today).  hm

My copy is no where near that nice (it's a 5.0 and I only have one copy) but just as an aside, I always thought this was an odd cover.  The look on Judy's face seems more concerned with what may happen to her if a trade is made hm

This book has Frazetta's first work for Nedor and his 4th overall according to CGD.  He inked his own work but the splash shows he was early in his artistic maturity although there are flashes in this splash akin to his later works.  Assume he wasn't trying to ape someone and is just an early work or maybe both.  Not my scan since I bought my book slabbed but here is the splash.  Looking through the entire story, you again can see some Frazetta poses and facial expressions.  

156967633503.jpg

On 9/3/2019 at 7:02 AM, szav said:

My guess would be generally no, unless you're talking about a book that has 8 certified copies 9.4 and higher (CPRs not withstanding) and you can be a bit pickier about which copy you want to pay 50k+ for.  

I just think there's a better explanation for the "low" result than it was the consignors choice of venue. 

I mean really...do we think at this point people who spend this kind of money on comics have heard of CC and HA but somehow not CLink, as if all 3 don't take 50 pages each in the OPG...

I also don't put much stock into price differences being due to the different auction formats the 3 have.  For 3 sites HA, CL, CC you eventually put in whatever the max price you're willing to pay for any particular item is.

Some auction sites don’t charge taxes to certain states etc.  That means a lot on big books.

Any bets that the winner of this Cindy 37 for only $1,270 must be :whee: with their win, while the consignor must be feeeling quite  :mad: :censored: :

RAD3D0F42019118_17719.jpg

Especially since this almost equivalent graded CGC copy here sold for $4,200 at HA only about 10 days earlier:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Cindy Comics #37 (Timely, 1949) CGC FN 6.0 White pages....

I guess this is further proof that selling in auctions can often be like a crapshoot sometimes.  (thumbsu

24 minutes ago, path4play said:

Was there a Cindy #37 8.0 in the last Comic Link auction?  I wanted to track its sale price...  I bid on/tracked the 5.5 but (apparently) not the 8.0 - else my memory is entirely shot.

Unfortunately seems GPA doesn't include Comic Link auctions, hoping a boardie can help me out.

They are both still listed on the CL "exchange".  The 8.0 sold for $7,122

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 8.04.38.png

On 2/2/2022 at 12:03 AM, sagii said:

:bump:

Are we giving them a free bump or are we looking at that Suspense 3 coming up :bigsmile:

Edited by comicjack

The line up for this auction is over the top in my opinion.The  eyes are popping looking at the Planets.Marvel Mystery books and the Mystics don't they know you need money to live.lol

On 2/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

What's going on with the L in the logo? Tape pull? Resto removal? I can't tell.

Looks like a tape pull to me, but with .5's of classic cover books fetching big money, I don't think it will be a big detractor. Especially at 7.0 and nice PQ