• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, Why Has AF #15 Continued to Drop In Value?
8 8

1,031 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I say it won't

We're not picking the best time to auction a key book GK. Food is more important right now. Sure prices have dropped.

7 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

We're not picking the best time to auction a key book GK. Food is more important right now. Sure prices have dropped.

I don't think this argument is relevant. Someone who can afford to spend 180K on a comic book isn't particularly worried about putting food on the table. Nor are those in the same bidding pool.

As to your copy, considering it is a superior copy it might well hit the 200 mark. Same can't be said for most other 8.0s. So yeah, the Heritage copy didn't and personally I think the CC copy won't either.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I don't think this argument is relevant. Someone who can afford to spend 180K on a comic book isn't particularly worried about putting food on the table. Nor are those in the same bidding pool.

As to your copy, considering it is a superior copy it might well hit the 200 mark. Same can't be said for most other 8.0s. So yeah, the Heritage copy didn't and personally I think the CC copy won't either.

No denying here prices are down. But I think economic conditions have helped pull prices down. If we have this conversation a year from now prices will be different. Do we think a barrel of oil will stay at par ($0)? Or course not.

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Ok, fellas.........let's just quit :slapfight:  :slapfight: and place your bets as to whether the 8.0 copy in this current CC auction is going to pass the Heritage juiced in price of $180K or not?  hm  :taptaptap:

I say it won't

Just took a much closer look at the scans for both of these books and I think you are most probably correct in your assessment here.  (thumbsu

It would appear that the CC copy was graded back in 2013 and appears to be slightly more loosely graded as compared to the HA copy graded this current year.  hm  (shrug)

6 hours ago, peewee22 said:

If other auction results are anything to go by, the pandemic and so-called market crash have had zero impact on comic and OA prices.  If anything, they've caused stir crazy bidders to go harder.

38 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
3 hours ago, atomised said:

strong result!

It's not showing up on the Heritage site.

It most certainly does, as it's right here when you click onto this following link:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-45-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7229-96169.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Certainly a shocking price when we thought the high point for a mid-grade copy was the CGC 5.0 graded copy that CC was able to sell for $57K in one of their Event Auctions a few years ago. (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It most certainly does, as it's right here when you click onto this following link:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-45-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7229-96169.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Certainly a shocking price when we thought the high point for a mid-grade copy was the CGC 5.0 graded copy that CC was able to sell for $57K in one of their Event Auctions a few years ago. (thumbsu

For some reason I couldn't find it in the archives or in this weekend's auctions.

Obviously all 4.5's are now worth $66K lol

10 hours ago, atomised said:

strong result!

Capture.JPG

this is insane. as a holder of a nice 4.5 myself, iit made me smile. but it must have something to do with being signed by stan the man on page 1. that's all i can figure. very much an outlier price. 

yes, there's a beautiful 5.0 with no marvel chipping listed on greg reece's site for $44k that I'm sure could go around $40k.  There's a 5.0 with slight marvel chipping on bob's site that could go around 40 or a little less.  A 4.5 sig series on ebay, with a best offer and no real bites it looks like at $44k. Great for the consignor that it sold for that price, but not a market barometer really.  Who knows what drove it, but I think it would be very very difficult to replicate given how many copies are available. 

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

If other auction results are anything to go by, the pandemic and so-called market crash have had zero impact on comic and OA prices.  If anything, they've caused stir crazy bidders to go harder.

Maybe. Maybe not.

6 hours ago, Foolkiller said:

yes, there's a beautiful 5.0 with no marvel chipping listed on greg reece's site for $44k that I'm sure could go around $40k.  There's a 5.0 with slight marvel chipping on bob's site that could go around 40 or a little less.  A 4.5 sig series on ebay, with a best offer and no real bites it looks like at $44k. Great for the consignor that it sold for that price, but not a market barometer really.  Who knows what drove it, but I think it would be very very difficult to replicate given how many copies are available. 

Who really knows and is it possible that Steve and Jim simply got their wires crossed and thought that each of them alone was supposed to be shill bidding on the book and did not realize that the other one was also mistakenly shill bidding the book at the same time.  :devil:

By the time they realized what was happening, it was already too late as it was at the $66K price point with the juice built in there.  doh!  lol

Edited by lou_fine

Told you guys so 2 days ago that AF 15 was going to rebound in price upward :p.  Didn't expect it to be in a huge way for that 4.5 copy that sold for $66k :whatthe:.  Maybe the winning bidder thought it can upgrade to a 6.0 or possibly the Stan Lee signature is hard to find.  In any case, this would be an outlier for sure.

The 2.5 copy that sold for over $13k in the same auction with marvel chipping did better than other 2.5's sold earlier this month in the $12k range, still way under the record prices AF 15 fetched back in 2018 where 2.5's were selling anywhere from $16k-$19k.  Gonna be a slow climb up to those prices.