Comic Ad Curiosity
1 1

21 posts in this topic

684 posts

We all saw the mail order ad's in the comics we read as kids.  I'm curious if anyone ever ordered any of those toys or clothes that were for sale (especially from the Marvel books).  If you did please post some pictures if you still have them!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,375 posts

My buddy has pretty much every one of those items plus the items in the johnson smith catalogue.  Several of his items were featured in Mail Order Mysteries.  He has the only known polaris nucular sub.  Absolutely none of those items were what kids thought they would be.  I myself ordered the 'flashing eyes' and was sorely disappointed to find it was instructions for gluing foil on your eyelids while you were on stage.  i was sure I would be shooting sparks at my friends.

61PpJ52S1TL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mail-order-mysteries-3.jpg

download (7).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
684 posts
4 minutes ago, kav said:

My buddy has pretty much every one of those items plus the items in the johnson smith catalogue.  Several of his items were featured in Mail Order Mysteries.  He has the only known polaris nucular sub.  Absolutely none of those items were what kids thought they would be.  I myself ordered the 'flashing eyes' and was sorely disappointed to find it was instructions for gluing foil on your eyelids while you were on stage.  i was sure I would be shooting sparks at my friends.

61PpJ52S1TL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mail-order-mysteries-3.jpg

download (7).jpg

Cool, I didn't realize that there was a book.  Is it worth getting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,375 posts
2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Cool, I didn't realize that there was a book.  Is it worth getting?

It is to answer the mysteries but it's a quick read-maybe 1/2 hour.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,375 posts

Ps he spent $550 on ebay for that ghost.  a cheap balloon and some string.  But very rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,375 posts

Oh yeah and it came with a cheap plastic tarp for the ghost body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,375 posts

Ad made it sound like a horrifying ghost that you control with some sort of anti-grav device-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
903 posts

I bought the "Charles Atlas" course when I was about 14 and my Sister bought "Sea Monkeys" and the "Polaris Nuclear Sub" which she says she was extremely disappointed with when it arrived 8 weeks later and it was cardboard.

Sorry, no longer have any of them.

 

929c7c162d59317ef744adbd68aa5923.jpg

polarisbig.jpg

seamonkeys2_lg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,375 posts

I cant put a value on that sub as only one exists and its not for sale.  But put on ebay for 5K I'm sure it would move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,652 posts

I had sea monkeys and x ray specs but got them at a local store that sold bootleg toys and magic tricks

 

i wonder if anyone ordered the monkey? I heard they actually delivered on that one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
684 posts
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

i wonder if anyone ordered the monkey? I heard they actually delivered on that one 

That was one advertisement I has hoping was not true!!!

Edited by Xenosmilus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48,375 posts
1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

I had sea monkeys and x ray specs but got them at a local store that sold bootleg toys and magic tricks

 

i wonder if anyone ordered the monkey? I heard they actually delivered on that one 

There was an old dim dingy magic store in town but the guy would always try to talk you out of buying stuff.  He seemed to have no interest in selling-years later I decided it was a bookie front or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
903 posts

Did anybody ever sell "Grit"?

 

unnamed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
741 posts
2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

My dad was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and ordered those worthless toys instead of more comics...

I'll never get tired of the phrases that replace curse/derogatory words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,839 posts
2 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

I'll never get tired of the phrases that replace curse/derogatory words.

The sad thing is that CGC won't let me publicly insult my own father...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
741 posts
4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The sad thing is that CGC won't let me publicly insult my own father...

^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,280 posts

(shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1