• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art day! Well, sort of...

11 posts in this topic

I saw this when you posted it on insta or twitter , I think it is fantastic! And personally love homage covers. I think even though it is obviously based off one of the most recognizable comic images out there, you add your own flair to each character and the overall setting! I even considered bugging you to see if you were selling! Glad to see you doing more and more covers- 

1 minute ago, NicoV said:

and for those (like myself - shame on me) who don't have this original cover in mind:

comicnut034.jpg

lol Thanks for that extra leg work Nico!  I probably should have posted a pair of side by side shots!  

And an added note, it looks like I might be doing the fourth and final (far left hand) cover to complete the full homage!

10 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I saw this when you posted it on insta or twitter , I think it is fantastic! And personally love homage covers. I think even though it is obviously based off one of the most recognizable comic images out there, you add your own flair to each character and the overall setting! I even considered bugging you to see if you were selling! Glad to see you doing more and more covers- 

Thanks man!  I never know if social media covers all the bases, and CAF doesn't seem to have the same viewership of old, so I'm hitting all the stops.  Opinions differ on homage covers, with some people loving them and others finding them lazy or cynical, not a debate I'm advocating.  I just love the art that I love, and want to shine a light on it if I think it will bring pleasure to others of like minds. 

Just now, Blastaar said:

Also cringing seeing Jim Lee hold that fourth panel that way? I mean after all it's his but...:whatthe:

I think most people would be shocked at the way artists handle their own originals.  Not going so far as to use them as coasters, but they get tossed around like you wouldn't believe.

4 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I think most people would be shocked at the way artists handle their own originals.  Not going so far as to use them as coasters, but they get tossed around like you wouldn't believe.

Scott- you didn't get one of the parts of the original??? lol 

On 7/3/2019 at 7:41 AM, stinkininkin said:

It's an art day as in sharing an homage to a personal and professional sentimental favorite cover from my past, the Xmen #1 cover by Jim Lee and myself.  I was asked editorially to do a series of variant covers for the upcoming Marvel 1000 series and swap out the Xmen for the highly regarded Uncanny X-Force series characters of several years back.  Revisiting an old friend like the Xmen cover and adding a different spin to it, creating something that can be instantly recognized but also completely different was a really fun challenge.  Not everyone is into the whole variant cover thing, but I'm not here to debate that.  Just wanted to show off some of my original art that I had a personal attachment to and revel in the nostalgia that is a big part of the fun of the OA hobby, even if the nostalgia is professional in this case.  Hope you like! 

cleanedup Xforce panorama.jpg

What's not to love? Impressive work, no I dare say a labor of love.Wonderful Scott thank you for posting.