• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Magazine, as you now know it, will soon cease to exist - the end of Mad Magazine
5 5

200 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

Most likely they will regret @!@#$% with you-

Most likely I would be entering a new number into Netflix and all my other auto payments like Amazon Prime and things like that. 

Something like that just happened with my card and I was issued a new one. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Most likely I would be entering a new number into Netflix and all my other auto payments like Amazon Prime and things like that. 

Something like that just happened with my card and I was issued a new one. 

cheque mate

On 7/13/2019 at 8:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

I did not know this and I apologize if I screwed anyone over. 

I myself bought the $5 subscription to JUST the Mad Magazine.  When I went to check out they offered me other 'deals' but I have no use for any of the other magazines so I just got the 6 issue subscription to Mad. I have used Groupon a few times to much success ranging from a Costco membership to D&D Gift Cards and did not think anything of this. 

I will be watching closely as to what happens with the Mad Magazine charge but I did not sign up for anything else whether it be for a trial or a reduced subscription rate.    However, if anything does happen I will let you all know.

Again, as it was Groupon related I figure it is on the up and up.  Again though, I only signed up for the one subscription to Mad. 

As far as the renewal for Mad though, I would like to get it until, "the end".  So once it has concluded there should be no further charges. 

I did not sign up for any of the other magazines either-- I just wanted the simple Mad deal. I get the impression that this "dolphin" company has a tendency to find ways to screw people whenever they can though-- so I am wary of having any contact with a group like that. Like you said-- hopefully this is just for what we requested and that's that. Also- their website is practically worthless if you need more information-- set up to make you think you have to do something to move forward-- like a trap for unsuspecting consumers.

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:

I did not sign up for any of the other magazines either-- I just wanted the simple Mad deal. I get the impression that this "dolphin" company has a tendency to find ways to screw people whenever they can though-- so I am wary of having any contact with a group like that. Like you said-- hopefully this is just for what we requested and that's that. Also- their website is practically worthless if you need more information-- set up to make you think you have to do something to move forward-- like a trap for unsuspecting consumers.

If Dolphin tries to screw Buzz, he will plug up their blow hole.

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

Sérgio Aragones was still doing his thing 

Yea, Sergio is fantastic !!  He did the dust jacket and cover art for the 40th anniversary SDCC book !!   

13 hours ago, Senormac said:

MAD cashing it in ?  No wonder.  How many of the people that made MAD what it once was are gone ? 

1. William Gaines 

2. Antonio Prohias

3. Dave Berg

4. Don Martin

5. Wally Wood

6. George Woodbridge

7. Mort Drucker (not deceased ) 

8. Al Jaffe (who is almost 100)

9. Bob Clarke

10. Kelly Freas

11. Norman Mingo 

12. Frank Jacobs

and the rest of the usual gang of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons...…    

PS. All these men gathered together..... 

at this particular time.....

in history...… (1950 - 1980)

riding a social wave......

of the spirit of the people......

who lived in America at that time......

and they were listening, because their chief......

had been hauled before the magistrates of the country's highest court......

to the very SUPREME COURT !!! ……...

(which is now, once again, under attack )...….

and had to testify before them......

as to the "demeanor" of his own EC brand of comics...….

and in the end...…..

was forced (or perhaps he outsmarted them)….. to change his entire approach...….

because of the "LEGALITY" of the rules......

into a MAGAZINE instead of a comic !!!!!!!!

THAT IS SO FREAKING HUGE TO THE HISTORY OF THIS HOBBY !!  

Jack Kirby never did that !!

BWS never did that !! 

Stan Lee never did that !!  

Even Robert Crumb never did that !!  

William Gaines and MAD magazine are one of this countries GREATEST ART EXPRESSIONS and social commentators  of all time !!!  

And the reason they succeeded was because of the genius of W.G...…..

His goal was to "make laugh".....

it was not to 'hate and destroy".....

I think MAD is dead  because the "left"  today do not look at the right and see the humor in their position any more.  

804064979_MAD96_0002.thumb.jpg.b774c95a6e93d8a2f721b4eb2b802cd2.jpg

Well frankly, his goal was to make money. But along the way created an American institution and made several generations laugh. MAD will be missed by many...

On 7/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, Robot Man said:

Well frankly, his goal was to make money. But along the way created an American institution and made several generations laugh. MAD will be missed by many...

He had a stroke of genius when the comics code started-he just changed the format from a comic book to a magazine and bypassed the silly code.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, Robot Man said:

I think you are right !! 

He did inherit a publishing company and was faced with the problem of "making it work" ……..  and making a living with it 

That's so cool Robot Man.  That's part of the story !!  

3 minutes ago, kav said:

He had a stroke of genius when the comics code started-he just changed the format from a comic book to a magazine and bypassed the silly code.

What are you ?  A mind reader :grin:

5 minutes ago, Senormac said:

What are you ?  A mind reader :grin:

yes and I also know you are about to bring up his father invented the comic book. 

40 minutes ago, kav said:

yes and I also know you are about to bring up his father invented the comic book. 

I think that's probably a Golden Age thread discussion.....   

Edited by Senormac

54 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

You had a really nice post going there and then you had to throw in some political statement. Baffled. 

C'mon Dude.....  MAD has been political since the beginning. 

Don't forget about these great pieces of work. 

707626762_Spyvs.Spy60_0001.thumb.jpg.1f8fa76514612e587a4f1eca811d530b.jpg

2007035254_MAD56.thumb.jpg.5493a3303e39b61c32258359944656e1.jpg

724661491_MAD60.thumb.jpg.e36444c6805afb103c841b882ab905a7.jpg

1613507472_mad181unused.jpg.7f2f695e5e44cb86ca8af4f134635a0f.jpg

1792236293_MAD122.jpg.61af60dbe9f2574bdd96eab445d2891e.jpg

On 7/17/2019 at 7:40 PM, Senormac said:

MAD cashing it in ?  No wonder.  How many of the people that made MAD what it once was are gone ? 

Unfortunately most of them are gone. Even if the same people that made Mad what it once was, were still there today, they would have a tough time making it a success. I thought WaPo's editorial had a ring of truth when they wrote the times have changed too much for Mad to be relevant: "To be subversive, however, requires a dominant culture to subvert. MAD was the smart-aleck spawn of the age of mass media, when everyone watched the same networks, flocked to the same movies and saluted the same flag. Without established authorities, it had no reason for being. Like the kid in the back of the classroom tossing spitballs and making fart sounds, a journal of subversive humor is funny only if there's someone up front attempting to maintain order. We now live in a time when everyone's a spitballer..." 

CollectiblyMadInt2-L.jpg

Edited by GomerPyleUSMC

2 hours ago, kav said:

And also discontinued 95% of his product line. Wouldn’t it have been awesome if the horror mag era had started back then with EC mags though?