What makes variant cover valuable??
1 1

77 posts in this topic

1,028 posts

also I said OP as don't want to summon Kav, as I heard if you say is name more than 3 times in a mirror he shall appear behind you and give you 1$ bin books for Free.... lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47,742 posts
2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

also I said OP as don't want to summon Kav, as I heard if you say is name more than 3 times in a mirror he shall appear behind you and give you 1$ bin books for Free.... lol 

How can I "appear" in a thread I started?? :makepoint:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,028 posts
1 minute ago, kav said:

How can I "appear" in a thread I started?? :makepoint:

mess I guess I screwed that one up I said if you say his name in a mirror he will appear behind you but I was refencing not saying your name in a thread... ooops :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47,742 posts
2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

mess I guess I screwed that one up I said if you say his name in a mirror he will appear behind you but I was refencing not saying your name in a thread... ooops :whistle:

The kav 3 times is absolutely true.  I will appear, with woodgods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,619 posts
5 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.

I may be inferior to the Joneses if you compare vehicles and homes, but my bank account balances, home equity, and credit scores aren't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,137 posts

There are lots of reasons people collect variants. Most variants are advertised in comic previews or on the artist's website in advance which is how most are discovered. The image on the cover in my opinion is the #1 reason people are interested.

Generally I feel if I like the cover image someone else will.

Most variants I have collected is because I LOVE the art on the cover.

Here are some examples:

20170827_153610_resized.jpg

20170827_153527_resized.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,658 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kav said:

The kav 3 times is absolutely true.  I will appear, with woodgods.

oh sure -- like you have more than one copy --- don't believe the

image.png.abbdbd7c29ad704d70c98cc5d0483a47.png

 

image.png.10deee65d279610ffe9c27ca121f8861.png

image.png.976e42ca3d8ce344568ec6c84f04ce3e.png

image.png.37736543485e495cc51212e68ac07e5c.png

Edited by 01TheDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47,742 posts
Just now, 01TheDude said:
1 hour ago, kav said:

The kav 3 times is absolutely true.  I will appear, with woodgods.

oh sure -- like you have more than one copy --- don't believe the

image.png.abbdbd7c29ad704d70c98cc5d0483a47.png

I wasnt talking about comics I was talking about actual woodgods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,658 posts
Just now, kav said:

I wasnt talking about comics I was talking about actual woodgods.

image.png.e531c5904ff75255735de995168f0dcc.png

there is only one Woodgod that matters in my world. Those ones you are bringing are clearly FALSE WOODGODS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525 posts

hype = short lived prices

manufactured rarity = short term hype

already popular artist variant = market saturation and brand dilution

under ordered variants of a popular title by an artist of growing popularity = long term but slower appreciation 

under ordered manufactured rarity by an artist with growing popularity and/or iconic cover with either or both of the following:

1. high rate of production damage/loss

2. 1st app of a popular new character

= mega variant $$$$$$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,381 posts
9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

What's with those damn ASM Del Otto variants?

Pyramid Scheme Niche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glow in the dark Ghost Rider, Foil covers for Silver Surfer and 5 billion prints of X Force 1 

I miss the good old days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,440 posts

I’m drinking a beer called “Jesus on a Forklift”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,619 posts
2 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Glow in the dark Ghost Rider, Foil covers for Silver Surfer and 5 billion prints of X Force 1 

I miss the good old days

I'd take an early 90s gimmick cover over having to collect 20 worthless variants of the same issue. 

Better to have one worthless book than 20, no? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,440 posts
49 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'd take an early 90s gimmick cover over having to collect 20 worthless variants of the same issue. 

Better to have one worthless book than 20, no? 

Glad I’m not the only one that misses the occasional prismatic foil strip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,381 posts
2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I’m drinking a beer called “Jesus on a Forklift”.

Who makes it?  Any good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47,742 posts
1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

Who makes it?  Any good?

It's water turned into beer by a MIRACLE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,381 posts
1 minute ago, kav said:

It's water turned into beer by a MIRACLE

Does he make it in a Light version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,619 posts
43 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Glad I’m not the only one that misses the occasional prismatic foil strip.

Die-cuts, gatefolds, holograms, holographic foil, metal foil, glow-in-the-dark cover, prismatics....

:x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243 posts

The first post in this thread might give you some sense though by no means comprehensive, not that I am by any means an expert.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1