• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What protects a comic more, mylites of toploader?

7 posts in this topic

I am not a expert but my opinion is to go with the Mylar and boards from Gerber as the poly bags can get yellow or break down as they age so its the poly bag touching your comic so that's your first line if protection breaking down. 

23 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I am not a expert but my opinion is to go with the Mylar and boards from Gerber as the poly bags can get yellow or break down as they age so its the poly bag touching your comic so that's your first line if protection breaking down. 

The goal is to Slow Down the aging/deterioration process as much as possible, you can/will never completely stop it.

As was already stated polybags breakdown over time producing acids which will speed up the decay/deterioration process of the book it is supposed to be protecting.

It is recommended to change out polybags every 5 years.

Mylar is an Inert material that will not break down so it is Archival Safe and will protect your books without ever having to change the bag/board as long as you are using Acid Free boards.

Using Mylites and Acid Free Boards and Storing your books in the Proper Storage Conditions your books will last a lifetime without noticeable  damage.

The majority of my early ASM and F.F. books (books that were purchased before 2003 when the internet came along for me) are still in the original 1 MIL Mylite I put them in back in the 80's.

All 1800 of my books are in Mylites ranging from 1 Mil, 1.4 Mil and 2 Mil.

Edited by marvelmaniac

10 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

The goal is to person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point the aging/deterioration process as much as possible, you can/will never completely stop it.

As was already stated polybags breakdown over time producing acids which will speed up the decay/deterioration process of the book it is supposed to be protecting.

It is recommended to change out polybags every 5 years.

Mylar is an Inert material that will not break down so it is Archival Safe and will protect your books without ever having to change the bag/board as long as you are using Acid Free boards.

Using Mylites and Acid Free Boards and Storing your books in the Proper Storage Conditions your books will last a lifetime without noticeable  damage.

The majority of my early ASM and F.F. books (books that were purchased before 2003 when the internet came along for me) are still in the original 1 MIL Mylite I put them in back in the 80's.

All 1800 of my books are in Mylites ranging from 1 Mil, 1.4 Mil and 2 Mil.

for your ASM and FF books do you use the 1.4 Mill bags or the 1 Mill bags as I use the 2 Mill and full backs and the books seem to be a but tight near the bottom I am wondering if the 1 mill or Mylites + has a bit more room 

First why is my statement reading "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" when all I typed was A different word for "Slow Down".

When I first found Mylites at my LCS back in the 80's all they had was 1 Mil and I was able to buy them individually as I needed them.

Only one of the 5-6 LCS I frequented had Mylites so when I got books elsewhere I found myself driving over just to get Mylites so eeventually I bough packs of 100 from them and that went on until the early 2000's when the internet came along then I no longer had to drive 10 miles to get Mylites.

Online I found 1.4 MIL Mylites that were not as "flimsy" as 1 mil but not as space consuming as 2 Mil so like Goldilocks they were just right.

When I could no longer get 1.4 Mil (Went from silver to Gold) I chose to use 2 Mil over Flimsy 1 Mil so that is why they are mixed.

Book bought between 1979 and 2003 are in 1 Mil, books after 2003 and up until 2010(?) are in 1.4 and anything purchased after are in 2.

Edited by marvelmaniac

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

First why is my statement reading "person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" when all I typed was A different word for "Slow Down".

When I first found Mylites at my LCS back in the 80's all they had was 1 Mil and I was able to buy them individually as I needed them.

Only one of the 5-6 LCS I frequented had Mylites so when I got books elsewhere I found myself driving over just to get Mylites so eeventually I bough packs of 100 from them and that went on until the early 2000's when the internet came along then I no longer had to drive 10 miles to get Mylites.

Online I found 1.4 MIL Mylites that were not as "flimsy" as 1 mil but not as space consuming as 2 Mil so like Goldilocks they were just right.

When I could no longer get 1.4 Mil (Went from silver to Gold) I chose to use 2 Mil over Flimsy 1 Mil so that is why they are mixed.

Book bought between 1979 and 2003 are in 1 Mil, books after 2003 and up until 2010(?) are in 1.4 and anything purchased after are in 2.

hm... maybe I'll try some mylites+ then and see if they fit my ASM's better than the 2mill