• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Federal Collection / C-Link August Auction WOW!!!!

17 posts in this topic

I feel as though ComicLink's august featured auction deserves a post to itself for this collection being offered called the Federal Collection. It's pure insanity!!! From issue #3 and on, just 9.4's to 9.8's and loads of them being pedigrees. Anyway, had to point out because it's FREAKING awesome!!!

24 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I feel as though ComicLink's august featured auction deserves a post to itself for this collection being offered called the Federal Collection. It's pure insanity!!! From issue #3 and on, just 9.4's to 9.8's and loads of them being pedigrees. Anyway, had to point out because it's FREAKING awesome!!!

About the Federal Hill Collection
The Federal Hill Collection is an outstanding collection of approximately 2,000, primarily Marvel comic books published in the 1960s and 1970s that have remained in Near Mint or better condition, the average certified grade of which is 9.6. The remarkable group was assembled in over 15 years of astute collecting in the picturesque Federal Hill section of Baltimore. A tour de force achievement, it is one of the most impressive collections ComicLink has ever handled and some of the individual early Marvel examples are among the best that we have ever seen. The collector had one of the most discerning eyes in the hobby, and we are so excited to offer our bidders the opportunity to acquire many gems to enhance their existing collections, or to build a new one.

Definitely some nice books in this collection. Wonder how many they bought slabbed vs raw.

1 hour ago, bc said:

The Federal Hill Collection is an outstanding collection of approximately 2,000, primarily Marvel comic books published in the 1960s and 1970s that have remained in Near Mint or better condition, the average certified grade of which is 9.6. The remarkable group was assembled in over 15 years of astute collecting in the picturesque Federal Hill section of Baltimore. A tour de force achievement, it is one of the most impressive collections ComicLink has ever handled and some of the individual early Marvel examples are among the best that we have ever seen. The collector had one of the most discerning eyes in the hobby, and we are so excited to offer our bidders the opportunity to acquire many gems to enhance their existing collections, or to build a new one.

Definitely some nice books in this collection. Wonder how many they bought slabbed vs raw.

Beautiful books. Too bad they will be out of my price range.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:53 PM, bc said:

Great question on the raw vs slabbed thing.  Honestly having purchased a ton of books, as well as having a ton from my personal collection, that I've sent to CGS, the hit rate on 9.6 - 9.8 is pretty low when submitting raw.  I mean hell I have tons of books from the 80s which were bagged, boarded at receipt and pressed 30 years later and I still miss 9.6+ pretty regularly.  The bulk of those just have to be purchased as slabbed.  

"The collector had one of the most discerning eyes in the hobby,..."    BIG DEAL...almost everyone has a discerning eye.  The fact that he had the money to buy all of these books is more impressive.

The sentence should have read:  "The collector had one of the most discerning eyes in the hobby and one of the fattest wallets."

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

"The collector had one of the most discerning eyes in the hobby,..."    BIG DEAL...almost everyone has a discerning eye.  The fact that he had the money to buy all of these books is more impressive.

The sentence should have read:  "The collector had one of the most discerning eyes in the hobby and one of the fattest wallets."

Why do you think he needed a fat wallet to buy books off the newsstand?

27 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Why do you think he needed a fat wallet to buy books off the newsstand?

The auction description says that "...primarily Marvel comic books published in the 1960s and 1970s..."  not "purchased" but published.  

Secondly, the description reads "...assembled in over 15 years of astute collecting..."  not astute "purchasing" but collecting.

If these books had been bought off of the stands, I would have expected Clink to really hype that aspect...and if they didn't, then they should have.

Darthbryan makes a good point above.

Okay, all you boardies local to Baltimore: who's this astute collector?

As to when the collection was assembled, I'd venture pretty recently.  For instance, the ASM #3 is from the Twin Cities collection, and it sold in its current certification number in August, 2011 (after coming to market in the same grade but a different certification number in May of that year).  Similarly, the ASM #7 is a Twin Cities pedigree copy that sold with an earlier certification number in 2014.

I love all the pedigree early SA Marvels.

Edited by namisgr

On 1/25/2020 at 6:41 AM, Gotham Kid said:

a lot of those books were purchased off Pedigree Comics over the last decade.

Well, if this is indeed the case, then I would assume books from this collection have been "maximized to their full potential" multiple times already.  :p